• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Jason Brown

dfoggknives.com Domain registry issue?

8 posts in this topic

Not sure who to point this out to but I was just looking at the hall of fame nominations thread and each of the links I clicked led to a domain registry site rather than to the correct page of dfoggknives.com. Just thought I would run it up the flagpole in case any of you guys know who to pass this info to.

1 person likes this

I think since Mr. Fogg retired he took his website down. I believe he among a few others were the founders of this website/forum many years ago.

This board was created by him, so the original domain was dfoggknives.com. Like Austin said, when he retired, he retired the his website. At that time, the board moderators moved the board from Don's website and registered a new domain under www.bladesmithsforum.com.

It goes to a domain registration site because the dfoggknives.com domain has expired. Any link in the board you find that has that domain in the url can be changed so that you replace the dfoggknives.com with bladesmithsforum.com

ex:

www.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=32545

becomes

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=32545

1 person likes this

What Wes said. We have slowly been fixing the links when they get pointed out, but until we find them all do what Wes suggests.

1 person likes this

I "fixed" it. Try again.

It isn't just links within Bladesmthsforum, I find dfoggknives.com links at, just for example, iforgeiron.com regularly.

If Don doesn't mind, we could re-register his domain and simply build an 'invisible' redirect page to catch traffic heading to the outdated dfoggknives.com domain and reroute it to the bladesmithsforum.com domain...

I don't program well enough to build the redirect such that it preserves the sub-address they were attempting to reach when forwarding the domain, but I'd be happy to re-register the domain.

James

It isn't just links within Bladesmthsforum, I find dfoggknives.com links at, just for example, iforgeiron.com regularly.

If Don doesn't mind, we could re-register his domain and simply build an 'invisible' redirect page to catch traffic heading to the outdated dfoggknives.com domain and reroute it to the bladesmithsforum.com domain...

I don't program well enough to build the redirect such that it preserves the sub-address they were attempting to reach when forwarding the domain, but I'd be happy to re-register the domain.

James

You don't have to do all of that with the coding. You just have to set up a c-name on the DNS servers. And register the domain as well...

Edited by Wes Detrick