Robert Burns

Van Helsing Bowie

Well I had another nice photo from Caleb Royer sent over today that I have been dying to share. I finished this one around Halloween and it was built around the idea of "what would Van Helsing use?" For those unfamiliar Van Helsing is the original slayer of Dracula and was the center of a blockbuster about ten years ago where he battles all sorts of evil creatures. Originally this knife blade was intended for a different blade, but when the customer wasn't quite happy with the pattern of the damascus it became destined for something else. I wanted the channel the vampire hunter vibe into different aspects of the knife and I think it came through pretty well, especially with the tombstone bandoleer. Everything on this knife is sole authorship and this sheath was a BIG step forward for me. So as always comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

- Robert

Specs:

Overall Length: 15 1/4 inches

Blade: 9 inches

Damascus: Standard twist and twisted jellyroll 1084/15n20

Guard: Shibuichi (30% silver/70% copper)

Handle: Stabilized claro walnut

151127_Robert_Burns_004_zpsrcbgdxjz.jpg

Really liking it Robert! The walnut is beautiful, and with the added stippling, looks perfect. Overall I think you captured the Gothic vibe very well!

Matt, I have some in progress photos if you guys would like to see them?

Awesome !!!!

I would love to see some progress pics. :)

I'm with Mark. Post the in-progress pictures! Gorgeous knife and personally, I think the steel turned out great. The leatherwork is great; I love the tooling.

I'd definitely like to see some in progress pictures. What is there not to like about this knife. It's a beautifully thought out, stunning piece of workmanship.

Well you asked for! So here we go...

12003965_1036300129727866_86658860680873

I find it helpful to mark and check, and double check the bars to make sure they go in the right order. I mixed up one bar recently and man does it suck!

11986545_1037311092960103_89247697801823

First etch of the pattern (and when the customer decided they didn't like it.)

12141744_1047782398579639_76486868332983

The first version of the guard which I scrapped due to voids, different style but it gives and idea of how I do things. All carving with chisels and files.

12140586_1049497048408174_11646928152448

Figuring out wood selection with the new guard.

12122680_1052311394793406_68025095626578

And then a close up on the pattern:

12074956_1054064961284716_43180975372295

• Like 1

Why do the bars run straight down the blade instead of bending with the curve of the blade?

Thanks everyone. :) Dan, it was simply a style preference that the customer preferred I like it either way.

Awesome work Robert. If you don't mind me asking, what did you patina the Shibu with? I'm really liking the coloration.

Joshua, it ended up taking quite a while to get it right and a lot of experiments before it got to where I wanted it to be. I used small amounts of liver of sulfur, windex, and salt water, plus heat. Funny story I had achieved a beautiful and perfect chocolate brown, but when I oiled the handle it turned out they were the same color! So I used some heavy steel wool to strip some of the oxides so that there would be more contrast.

Cool knife! I really like activity in the twisted jelly rolls :)

In the original book by Bram Stoker Dracula is actually slain by Quincey Morris from Texas, one in van Helsing's team, who stabs him throught the heart with his bowie, so a vampiric bowie is quite fitting. :D

Joshua, it ended up taking quite a while to get it right and a lot of experiments before it got to where I wanted it to be. I used small amounts of liver of sulfur, windex, and salt water, plus heat. Funny story I had achieved a beautiful and perfect chocolate brown, but when I oiled the handle it turned out they were the same color! So I used some heavy steel wool to strip some of the oxides so that there would be more contrast.

What you ended up with looks antique. The variations in hue combined with the texture and semi-rough surface makes the knife look very period, if you know what I mean. Like something from the 1800's. Gorgeous.

Leif, that is too cool thanks for the additional info, I'm glad my ignorant guess wasn't too far off the mark lol. Joshua, thanks it was definitely one of those pieces that simply flowed from concept to creation which is a rare thing, but I have been learning a lot about different methods of antiquing lately and this bowie definitely pushed those skills.

Michal...that is awesome!

That knife is amazing! The sheath looks fantastic too!