K type thermocouple useage ?

Just got my K type thermocouple and meter today, but the instructions aren't very clear.
How can I protect the insulation on the wire from the radiant heat of the steel I'm reading the temperature of ? it looks to be terminated with ordinary heatshrink.
Any guidelines ?

If you didn't buy an insulated probe rated for use in direct flame about the only thing you can do is install a probe well in the forge. This is a stainless tube with the end closed off that goes into the forge. Got a pic or a link to what you have?

I'll post a pic but it'll take a while, photobucket is really slow nowadays. I wasn't hoping to measure the temperature of the ( charcoal ) forge, rather the temperature of the steel before I quench it. A bit like a sophisticated version of the magnet test.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here ?

Edited by Sid Wittman

You're going to have a hard time measuring the temp of a piece of steel with a probe type thermocouple. It's just not what they're designed to do. If it is a surface reading specific probe then it should work, and I wouldn't worry about radiant heat from the blade hurting the wire.

I'm not sure how all this is going to work for you, if you're trying to get a direct reading of the steel an infrared thermometer will probably work best. Other than that, most people will temp their forge and go off that for heat treating. With a coal forge I'm not sure.

Right, it's all become clear now. Although the meter can read up to 1000C the thermocouple is only rated to 250C - of course that isn't mentioned in the owners manual or product literature :rolleyes:

I need to buy a surface probe that can cope with higher temperatures, like you suggest Justin.

Still, it'll come in handy for tempering in our propane oven.

I'll keep an eye out for those Tempstiks Doug

Edited by Sid Wittman

Also don't overlook using the visual cues of recalescence and decalescence. In a (char)coal forge a muffle pipe is a good idea.

I'll have to look those words up in a dictionary :D - seriously, I'll use the forum search function...

I'll have to look those words up in a dictionary :D - seriously, I'll use the forum search function...

Whatever you do, don't do that! Our forum has a mind blowing amount of great information and even better people, but our search engine is terrible. Use Google to do a site search. site:bladesmithsforum.com <search term>