Sign in to follow this  
Peter T. Swarz-Burt

New wootz ingot...13 pounds with pics

This was a 13 pound ingot made using a couple things that are new to me. This was my second time using a clay-graphite crucible, and my first time using the "donut" forging technique described by Niko Hynninen. The final weight of the finish-forged bars was 11.5 pounds, so very little loss.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice job there Peter..that steel looks good. That technique is not on my horizon , do you think it is a help or too early to tell?

Jan

Exactly how does one forge a steel donut, and why?

Edited by Joshua States

The top-center of a wootz invot tends to be more crumbly than the rest, which leads to difficulties in forging and larger than necessary material losses as the cracked material is removed. In the "donut" technique the ingot is flattened height wise into a disc, then hot-punched straight through the the center. This removes a substantial portion of the crumbly material, and once the donut is opened up it exposes the remaining cracks for easy removal. The result is easier forging, less material loss, and a more even degree of cross-sectional change throughout the length of the bar.

Thanks Peter, hopefully I will remember that when the time comes along. That's a nice looking piece of steel. Any chance we get to see the finished product or more pics of the WIP?