Fantasy Longsword WIP

I'm finally starting on my first completely custom Longsword that hasn't been made from scrap and spare parts from the shop. Haven't quite gotten around to posting many of my past works yet, so I'll start with my current build!

Starting off, the design of this sword is pretty sizable.I am also loosely basing it off of an Oakeshott type XX. At 46"(116.64cm) in overall length, it'll have quite the reach. The blade will be 36" (91.44cm) from tip to shoulders. It will be made from stock removal of a pre-tempered 5160 blank, cut to profile.The guard and pommel are pretty hefty. Made from a mild plate steel, the material on the guard is starting out a 3/8"(.9525cm) in thick and the pommel is 1/2"(1.27cm) thick. they will be extensive sculpted and blackened. Hopefully my idea of a copper wire inlay will pan out. I'll be doing a heat blackening, I'm not sure how that will affect copper wire. So if anyone has any info or other suggestions, I'm all ears) An interesting feature will be a channel which will start at the bottom of the pommel and continue through the handle and end in a sort of arrowhead depression in the center block of the guard. Engravings all throughout the channel, as well as the large fuller that runs about 2/3 of the length of the blade.

I started on the guard today, but forgot to snap my pictures. More will come tomorrow. For now i have a sketch that is pretty close to accurate in terms of proportions. Let me know what you guys think!

Optimized-IMG_20151202_204741538.jpg

Edited by MarkH

That looks awesome! Cant wait to see the progress. I have to admit I'm not crazy about the guard. I dont know if its the shape or the size. Or maybe Im just a jerk and it'll look cool when its all said and done, haha

Nice design and drawing skills, I always look forward to sword builds.

In my humble opinion it would look even better if you slimmed down the guard a bit and made the tip a bit more rounded.

The guard looks just a bit too bulky, but I like the shape.

Let me preface this by saying I haven't the technical or historical knowledge to render an "experienced" opinion about swords.

That said, I think you should build it the way you designed it. You will pretty quickly find out whether the guard is too fat, or too long, or the blade is whatever. The real learning experience is in making the mistake, recognizing it, and completing the correction. Every time a craftsman sets themselves a new challenge, they test themselves.

Testing yourself is a good thing because "one good test is worth a thousand expert opinions" (typically credited to Wernher Von Braun)

FWIW, I think it looks like a great design and I am going to follow this thread to see the WIP. Thanks.

Well so far so good. My process for building my fittings is based on my shops production system of construction. So its kind of a cheater method. The guard is water jet cut from an auto-cad file out of 3/8 and 1/4 inch stock. There are tabs which I will grind on and weld to, to create the guard that will fit snugly to the tang and shoulders.

Once I got it all welded and added filling material to smooth out some lines, the task of grinding in the contours and scalloping starts. I'm using flap discs on angle grinders for most of the material removal, and using a pneumatic dye grinder with an abrasive fiber pad to clean up the surface and lines. I use a sanding disc on the same dye grinder to cut in the deep lines. It's quick going but I only had time for one face. Blade and pommel will be here next week, then I'll be able to make good time on this. Now what to engrave......

I understand the photos aren't in the correct format(too big) I'll have them changed shortly.

1449288334_tmp_post-41997-0-43396700-1449212417.jpg

1449288450_tmp_post-41997-0-50664400-1449212445.jpg

1449288777_tmp_post-41997-0-59945100-1449212388.jpg

1449289067_tmp_post-41997-0-96480900-1449212430.jpg

Edited by MarkH

So only got one more face done today, but I did find a sword shaped hunk steel that's relatively close to my design, so i did a quick mock up just to get some things in perspective. This sword is 3 inches shy of the 36" I am shooting for. the ruler at the bottom is extending 10 inches from the guard, about the length of the handle and pommel. Back to working on the guard this weekend.

1449290049_tmp_IMG_20151204_195918920.jpg

Edited by MarkH

The guard material is a mild steel. Not sure of its exact composition. It cleans up really easy actually.

The guard is very bulky, no fluidity to the proportions. I'd suggest watching some videos on sword design, Peter Johnsson has some wonderful insight to this effect.

I would agree Sam, if not for the fact that Mark titled this "Fantasy Sword" which (in my opinion), throws everything about traditional sword making out the window! Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate sticking to the "rules" about form and function (and the guard is kinda big), but every once in a while, we all have to step outside the boxes and do stuff just for fun, even if we end up with a "mistake". It's those mistakes that teach us the most, especially when we are starting out, or trying new projects. Viva il Libero Coltellinaio!

http://www.denismura.com/cms/index.php?lang=en

• Like 1