Leather sheath making

hey, guys.

made some days ago a leather sheath and a video about it. slowly i start to really enjoy leatherwork.

(not that i´m good at it)

have all a nice day,

geko

If you make a knot in the hole while you sewing the leather it won't open when one loop is damaged. Very cool tutorial though. Thanks for sharing :) And fancy and good a very different things. The thing you have made looks solid and trustworthy;)

Thanks for the video. It pointed out to me mow much I really need to make/buy a bone smoothing tool. I make due with whatever smooth stick I have lying around at the time I need one, but the results are just about as random as the tool.

Great video. I learned a couple things I'll be using.

The countour of the blade shape looks great.

Is it very tight going in and out?

It works and you can't argue with success. One experience that I have had with artificial sinew is that if you don't pull the first loop the thread tight before you stitch from the other side you can split the thread when you try to pull them snug at the same time. However, I noticed that you were using a heavier thread and a more rounded needle than I use.

Doug

Oh, by the way, you are good at making sheaths.

Edited by Doug Lester

It works and you can't argue with success. One experience that I have had with artificial sinew is that if you don't pull the first loop the thread tight before you stitch from the other side you can split the thread when you try to pull them snug at the same time. However, I noticed that you were using a heavier thread and a more rounded needle than I use.

Doug

Oh, by the way, you are good at making sheaths.

Doug,

Try pulling the first loop back out of the hole a little as you pass the second needle through. This way the needle and thread are moving in the same direction at the same rate, and you won't pierce the first thread with the second needle.

thank you guys for the nice feedback.

it never happend to me to pierce the thread. but i see a lot of guys on youtube doing what you say about pulling the thread in same direction with the needle.

about the knot on every single stitch im not sure if this is a big difference on a ripped sheath.

@ Brian

its really not the tool that makes the difference, its the leather.

i have a lot of different leather here but just 2 or 3 of them take the wetforming.

a simple plastic spoon is what i like the most for wetforming.

cheers, geko

hey Phil,

these tools are just great. make´s your stitching much easyer and faster. if you buy them dont take the set with changeable tips! have them and dont like them.

they not piercing deep enough! (around to 5-6 mm only!) and its just anoying to screw them on and off all the time.

http://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/diamond-hole-chisel-set

i have this set from amazon. http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00LVON876?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

cheaper and much more user friendly.

have a nice day,

geko

Man, that is great.

I ordered a set the same day I saw your video and fortunately I got the one you recemmended.

They're supposed to be here today or tomorrow.