• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
grpaavola

Is it ever too early to think about the KITH?

121 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed participating in the 2015 KITH! SO much so, I want to see if we can get proposals done ASAP! I know everyone is very busy with the holidays and all.... but, I do believe the sooner we open up the discussion the more people we can get to participate!

So I will take it upon myself to be the first to propose for the 2016 KITH :rolleyes: !

Since last year was a puuko, but the close second was a Bowie... How about a Bowie?

But with a twist... Hardware store.

Everything for the knife, including the steel and handle material, guard and fittings must be purchased at your local hardware store.

So I will ask again... is it ever TOO early?

(Admin, please excuse me. I wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move it)

-Gabriel

I don't see why not...

-Gabriel

Sounds like a cool idea. I love making Bowies. though, I don't know about getting everything at a hardware store....

I will move this to the KITH subforum tomorrow, but: think outside the box. There is high carbon steel and handle material at hardware and farm stores. Just don't expect it to look like what you'd expect.

YUP! Master Alan!

I am hoping to make some kind of shovel damascus!

-Gabriel

if i participate in this someone may want to gift me a 90% completed knife or they will lose the lottery LOL

Oh yeh, Bowie will be fine for me. I like doing anything and Alan is right about the steel and hardware store. Handles? Hadn't gone that far in thought yet.

Gary LT

I like this idea, it's been too long since I made a bowie.

I also like the hardware store idea, I already have some ideas for materials.

Shovel damascus? Well, JPH once made damascus out of a sewer snake, so I don't see why not. I have found excellent curly ash in the replacement shovel handle stocks, and some sort of curly tropical hardwood in the broom handles. There's copper in the electrical aisle, pewter in the plumbing section (3/16 solid wire lead-free solder), horse stall mats for handle scales if you like synthetics, all manner of cordage if that's your thing, and yes, any cutting, digging, or prying tool you find will be a decent steel. Oh, and my local hardware also supplies the r/c model airplane folks, so there's all sorts of modeling tools and equipment, music wire (1095) from .001" to 1/4" diameter, sheet brass and copper up to 1/8" thick, and so on. I could probably walk out with enough stuff to do a fairly nice damascus bowie in about half an hour and $40 lighter...

1 person likes this

DAMN Alan! where do you shop? my local hardware store I would be spending at least twice that, with a third as much stuff! :lol:

-Gabriel

But yeah! that was exactly how I was thinking ;)

Now, anyone ever tried working that music wire?

I make gravers out of it. Good stuff, it's quite tough.

Well, I was just at my Local hardware store, and I am now loving this idea... I saw plenty of stuff that would make great Bowie materials. This will be super cool!

I haven't participated in a KITH before. Would love to if it's open to everyone?? A bowie sounds like a great idea although I'm a bit wary on hardware stores as mine are pretty lacking in the quality steel department. Time to wrack my brain and figure out what could work. :blink:

Sounds intriguing

I use music wire for a variety of things. Blind pins, folder springs, springs for top/bottom tools, small gouges or scrapers. As Alan said, it's quite tough. I did a little research on it once. Most of it is in the 1090ish family and spring tempered right out of the box.

"Bowie" is a relatively vague term. I usually think of it as a style (single edge, clipped point, dropped edge at the ricasso) rather than a size. Do we want to put a maximum/minimum blade length on it?

Edited by Joshua States

I am all for this idea, something along my speed, chain damascus with hickory handle will have to borrow a high temp forge and a power hammer, but i know a shop that will let me have fun. I dig this :D

EDIT: Also Rebar.............

Edited by S. Cruse

I think this one would be fun. I could see all kinds of possibilities for the knife itself. Right now I'm wracking my brain thinking about what I would do for a sheath ;)

Even with my small town local hardware store (besides the bigboxes) one is only limited by there imagination.

Also, I figured not everyone would be able to forge weld enough steel together to make a bowie, so allow people to grind machetes if they have to.

(if it is decided that this will be the KITH I am going to attempt a coffin handled shovel-damascus bowie)

So, I figure keep the rules of it pretty loose, except for a bowie (traditional-ish) and hardware store materials. I just like the idea of us going to our local hardware/farm-supply stores and striking up conversations about what we are doing!

-Gabriel

but S.Cruse.... I don't know why but the thought of a forge welded file and re-bar knife excites me!

1 person likes this

A farrier's file has enough steel or buy a 16 oz. hammer and reforge the head. Heck, you can get a 2 lb. sledge for $10. Plenty of steel for a Bowie there.

I'm all in for this! I might not have a hot enough forge to do a big billet of damascus, but a crowbar or file should do the trick for a blade if all else fails, some mild steel will make a decent guard if hot-fit and left on the knife through heat-treat for a rough finish, and maybe even some homemade Micarta ;) Rags or denim from coveralls would work well with West Systems epoxy. Or just a nice shovel handle :P Plus brazing rods work great for pins!

Joshua and grpaavola brought up a good point. Assuming this idea passes of course, should we consider a traditional type bowie or something more open to interpretation? Or a little mix of both.

Take a look at the Stanley flat prybar, I think the trademark is Wonder Bar. 3/16 x 2" x 24" 5160...

1 person likes this

Take a look at the Stanley flat prybar, I think the trademark is Wonder Bar. 3/16 x 2" x 24" 5160...

12" bar: $9.96,

15.5" bar: $13.95,

21" bar: $12.96 (???)

All at your friendly Home Depot online......

12" bar: $9.96,

15.5" bar: $13.95,

21" bar: $12.96 (???)

All at your friendly Home Depot online......

The online part was what I was hoping would be avoided. This really is about getting out there into your community and picking the brains of your LOCAL hardware store... even if it is a bigbox.

NO ONLINE STUFF! -of course we can not control how the hardware stores get the stuff we need ;)

I just know how invaluable the people at my hardware store here in Richland has been. Even if they don't know anything about the process, they are always helpful when I present them a dilemma and we get to thinking outside the box unleashing there own inner MacGyver's.

So can we all at least be agreed that you have to get yourself into the store and talk to actual human beings?

-Gabriel