grpaavola

Is it ever too early to think about the KITH?

Another thing to consider...most of my local hardware/farm supply stores carry a wide variety of dog chews. This includes beautiful (although pricey) pieces of antler which lend themselves well to a Bowie handle. Also, rawhide chew toys can be soaked and unraveled into usable strips of rawhide for making sheaths.

some dog bones are great bovivory if they are in proper condition. as long as it is not greasy, you can soak it in acetone to make sure its stabilized, then in 3% peroxide to bleach out any discolorations, great to make into slabs or even shape to fit, just grind and cut outside, bone dust STINKS and is terrible for the lungs

some of the most amazing Bowie knives I have seen are not clip point and/or have asymmetrical cross guards. Gary Mulkey makes some prime examples.

Agreed, in general. The Steve Culver Bowie knife Austin posted a picture of has a false edge, rather than a clipped point, and I have made Bowie knives with either, or neither one. However, I think that either one should be present in the KITH knife as it is a design element intended to push the participating smiths to a common technical aspect. The size/depth/shape/grind of the clip or false edge is entirely up to the smith. The variations and permutations possible are virtually endless. There may be some smiths participating that have never made a clipped point or false edged blade and others that have never made one with a hollow grind. This is an opportunity for each of us to try something new with a specific design element.

But what do I know?

Edited by Joshua States

I think the whole " Hardware store inperson purchase " part of this will make it quite fun. I am totally in on this one.

Kith 2016 Guidelines:

1: All materials must be purchased from your local hardware store (in-store, no ordering). For example: Lowe's, Home depot, local farm supply stores, tractor supply stores. Grainger and stores like it are NOT an option. They leave little to the imagination. The purpose of this Kith is to think outside of the box when buying materials. For example: Shovels, pry-bars (and there are plenty more but I don't want to give away my ideas ;)) Basically anything that will harden.

2: Handle material has to be purchased from the same stores listed above. It can be anything. As said before, think outside of the box.

3: The style of the blade will be of a Bowie knife (google Bowie Knife and you get the idea) Your design can be open to interpretation, however the blade must have a clip on the spine. Something like below would maybe be OK, however it's very close to a fighter.

Dog%252520Bone%252520Bowie%252520003.jpg

4. The blade (from guard to point) should be at least 8" inches (203.2mm).

5: Overall length = Up to you. (Keep it reasonable, this isn't a chopper or a short sword :P)

6: It must have a double branch guard.

7: The handle must be of a hidden tang or frame handle construction. It does not have to have a pommel. (Not everyone has the tools to do this)

8: Sheath materials do not have to be bought from the store but you can if you like. I think this should mainly be focused on learning new things regarding knives.

So... here it is, all laid out. What Austin wrote with the changes Joshua suggested. This IS what I had in mind when I pitched the idea.

I am thinking the sign up cut off could be the 31st at the latest, and the finish date June 30th.

Sound fair?

-Gabriel

Special thanks to Austin for writing this up. It's like you wore my brain and organized it.... I hope it didn't hurt to much!

Sheathing required?

If time permits...

We all have lives and incomes. If you have the time by all means, stay within the parameters and make a sheath.

But the knife is what this is about. Try your damnedest to make the sheath also, but if you run out of time don't feel like it is required to participate.

Just make sure we get a heads up!

-Gabriel

Edited by grpaavola

I very much like this concept. There's however the problem for me that I have very little work hours, and a huge pile of unfinished projects moving forwards at snake pace. But I will keep this in mind should I be able to squeeze it in somewhere.

Jeroen,

I hope your projects go smoothly! Having you on-board would be wonderful!

Seeing as how you have been on the forum for a long time, an exceptional 'smith and knowledge base, you can feel free to throw your knife in the hat at your leisure. If you can of course...

-Gabriel

Edited by grpaavola

It was no problem at all, Gabriel! I think we are all pretty like minded when it comes to steel and fire. :P And if those rules are official, I'll more then likely sign up soon. Perhaps we could move the rules into a seperate thread so it is easier to find... once everything is agreed upon (which it seems we are close).

When we say "clipped point" are we including the false edge design as well? (I think we should)

I recognize these two things as distinctly different, and If it says "clipped point" I would expect just that, and not a false edge.

Edited by Joshua States

I am with Joshua here, I have always made my bowies with a false-edge in with the clip point. Or at least to have the options set in stone so that we can decide

I think the hardware store element will make this fun. Extra bragging rights if you get everything you need in one trip to a single store :) I'm going to try this, but I can't even fix a toilet without going to the store 3 times, so I'll be pushing my limits...

@Tim, @Joshua...

I will just leave it you guys to decide. Not even the historical accounts Bowie knives are consistent. As something my bladesmith teacher told me many years ago "Just keep the flavor".

Don't over think this.... the primary law of this is "hardware store". Other than that Bowie-ish, The rules are in place for for those of us who tend to go too far down a rabbit hole and get lost.

Savvy?

-Gabriel

Savvy.

So the rules are more like guidelines.........

got it. :D

Joshua, this popped in my head (pirates of the Caribbean) "hang the code and hang the rules! They're more like guidelines anyway." :P

So I'll sign up now and may just head on down to Lowe's tomorrow. May even start a WIP thread tomorrow too. :)

Edited by Austin_Lyles

Joshua, this popped in my head (pirates of the Caribbean) "hang the code and hang the rules! They're more like guidelines anyway." :P

So I'll sign up now and may just head on down to Lowe's tomorrow. May even start a WIP thread tomorrow too. :)

You and me both. I am historically bad with WIP because I end up getting caught in the moment. I think that the fact that I am going to have to plan this before I do it (instead of my usual "wing it" mentality) might force me to keep better records. I cant begin to say how excited I am for this.

I made a trip to my local hardware store (which isnt a big box store) and felt the pickings were depressingly slim for pretty much everything from blade steel to handle material. On one hand, it will make for a gloriously crafty challenge, but on the other hand, maybe a lot of frustration and constraint.

some dog bones are great bovivory if they are in proper condition. as long as it is not greasy, you can soak it in acetone to make sure its stabilized, then in 3% peroxide to bleach out any discolorations, great to make into slabs or even shape to fit, just grind and cut outside, bone dust STINKS and is terrible for the lungs

The best way to clean bone and whiten it seems to be biological washing powder from what I read online. It's supposed to give better results compared to peroxide. I'd love to use bone, but my local hardware store doesn't have pet food. But I already see plenty of other options.

I just picked up a True Temper shovel, Sandvik saw blade, and a Nicholson file.

Cross your fingers it all welds up!

-Gabriel

I can't wait to see if it does! On another note, I have lost access to a gas or coal forge for the time... so I might end up having to resort to a file or crowbar for my steel :( I might need to go design over complexity to pull my weight xD

Tim

Take a look at the Stanley flat prybar, I think the trademark is Wonder Bar. 3/16 x 2" x 24" 5160...

Tim... at least you could find this pretty easy. I have been looking and looking for specs on the Sandvik blade... no luck, so it may be a complete failure...

-Gabriel

Tim... at least you could find this pretty easy. I have been looking and looking for specs on the Sandvik blade... no luck, so it may be a complete failure...

-Gabriel

What kind of blade are you talking about? I enjoy impossible tasks :)

The tree limb saw types....bow saw?

-Gabriel

-Gabriel

Maybe this will help? http://smt.sandvik.com/en/products/strip-steel/strip-products/knife-steel/

Stoneworking chisels are usually chrome/vanadium steel aren't they? These chisels can take a serious amount of abuse. Not sure how it will work as a knife. Does anyone have experience with that? I did forge part of a big chisel once, I remember it being serious hard work getting it to move.

I think Caleb is gonna probably have the best resources from the link he shared about the Sandvik blade.