grpaavola

Is it ever too early to think about the KITH?

Tim... at least you could find this pretty easy. I have been looking and looking for specs on the Sandvik blade... no luck, so it may be a complete failure...

-Gabriel

Yeah, I definitly have that as an option, but I wish I could do something damascus for this build

Tim

After doing my shopping, I came to realize how expensive material is ($83,I even got some free stuff after talking to a clerk)...and my hatred for mystery steel has increased exponentially. :P So.... How opposed would anyone be if we KNOW we can buy, let's say a shovel, but we use an old one that's laying around. I also have a giant brass valve that I could have bought from the store, but it's just laying in the back of my pickup. Sure would save me a few bucks.

Edit: Chainsaw chains as well, I've got a bunch of dull ones laying around. I would have loved to weld those up but the price really drove me away. $18 new and you'd have to buy at least 3 of them to get enough steel for a bowie.

Edited by Austin_Lyles

Caleb,

Thanks! Definitely a good lead!

-Gabriel

Edited by grpaavola

I am with you Austin!

But that being said, I think it may detract from the spirit a little...

Maybe a vote?

anyone know how to set that up?

-Gabriel

I am with you Austin!

Maybe a vote?

-Gabriel

Unfortunately I agree. It's a difficult circumstance to work around. I just wanted to throw that out there, as I'm already tight on money.

Yeah I prefer that idea (not exactly a rich kid over here). Maybe only using items you can find a match for in the hardware store?

I am with you Austin!

Maybe a vote?

-Gabriel

I think we can do it pretty easily. All those in favor respond "Aye"

All those opposed respond "Nay"

Vote ends at 10 PM MST on Jan 8 2016

My vote is "Aye"

Aye, when it comes to replacing stuff already bought there. I was planning to get a fresh set of files, and use the dull ones as source. I hate destroying brand new tools, particularly if I have used up examples that need replacing anyway.

But regarding budget, you don't have to spend a lot. You can also see your budget as added challenge. I've made lots of stuff from materials which costed me almost nothing. It's very easy to spend a lot of money in a hardware store (been there, done that many times). But it shouldn't be too difficult to make a very decent bowie from about $10-$20 worth in materials I would think. In principle you can go as far as just get a piece of mild steel and a piece of wood, carburize the steel, stabilize and stain the wood and construct a very fancy patternwelded bowie with hamon and the whole lots, intricate file work etc. from it. Or keep it very basic and rugged. The challenge isn't to find the fanciest materials, but to create something nice from something very basic. Limitations force being more creative, and that's the fun of it :)

Hardware store like materials makes sense to me. Besides, if you tell me you made something out of a shovel and a file, I"m not going to ask to see the receipt.

The fun of this project for me is to see if I can do this with hardware store materials. I'm in this for the challenge, and I'm not going to be remotely interested in policing what other people do with this one.

FWIW, I say "Aye"

• Like 1

OK!

To quote someone else here...

Joshua, this popped in my head (pirates of the Caribbean) "hang the code and hang the rules! They're more like guidelines anyway." :P

So I'll sign up now and may just head on down to Lowe's tomorrow. May even start a WIP thread tomorrow too. :)

So... This will be left to one's own discretion.

If you have it and can find it at your local hardware store by all means use it!

-Gabriel

Hardware store like materials makes sense to me. Besides, if you tell me you made something out of a shovel and a file, I"m not going to ask to see the receipt.

The fun of this project for me is to see if I can do this with hardware store materials. I'm in this for the challenge, and I'm not going to be remotely interested in policing what other people do with this one.

FWIW, I say "Aye"

To be honest... this is exactly how I felt about it!

-Gabriel

I'd like to see in-progress pics, though. Not to prove you did it, but to see how you did it, which is the fun part for me.

Aye! that shovel was most likely purchased from a hardware store at some point...:P

Aye im extremely tight on money at the moment as well i was thinking of using an axe handle that i just replaced and some other things that are hardware store items but that i have on hand for financial reasons =\

lets say that it has to be something that you can get at a hardware store. if you want to buy new, sure. If you have something old, that can work as well, so long as one can actually procure it at a lowes, HD, Ace hardware, etc. if they wanted to.

cause "guidelines"

Aye

Edited by Josh Fikentscher

Well... I think we have this all cleared up! Once from a hardware store included!

-Gabriel

Joshua, this popped in my head (pirates of the Caribbean) "hang the code and hang the rules! They're more like guidelines anyway." :P

This just popped into my head (from Ghostbusters) "I love this plan! I'm proud to be a part of it!"

• Like 1

Plenty of time for us procrastinators :P

Plenty of time for us procrastinators :P

You underestimate the power of procrastination...

Why put off until tomorrow what you can ignore until next week?