Forging a chef knife

Ok, I have a commission for a chef knife, 10 inch by 2 inch blade,5 inch handle. I ordered some of Aldos 1084 .156 thick 2 inch wide thinking I could just cut it out, but I would rather forge it to shape. Any advice on forging/heat treating would be appreciated. Thanks

With steel of those dimensions I'd be sorely tempted to cut it at a 45 degree angle and use that as a head start for forging the point... there is nothing I know of more frustrating that trying to keep a 2 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick bar from fish-mouthing while trying to forge it to a point... I've also found that when forging wide, thin stock to a point, the steel near the center of the bar has a tendency to buckle, forming cold shuts that run lengthwise down the blade.... this isn't hard to stop as long as you realize it's happening. I'd also be tempted to leave plenty of thickness to the edge in anticipation of warps in the quench.

Other than leaving the edge thick, heat-treating is fairly standard, and 1084 is nearly foolproof. Normalize well to help avoid warps, and try to deal with any warps before the blade has cooled below 400 degrees, though these can also be fixed during the temper cycles. I temper 1084 at around 400 degrees, 2 cycles.

Thanks, I like the 45° cut idea,plus I have an idea for the cut off piece. Setting off the stock for the handle may be a challenge, but maybe I'll cut a starting notch for that also.