Puukko/sloyd/bench knife

This is my latest knife, it still needs some touch ups and tweeks. I forged the blade from wrought iron wrapped around a piece of shear steel. The wrought came from a wagon wheel and the shear steel from a set of buggy springs. I forged out a number of blades this fall so I could finish them up this winter. I like to think of a Scandinavian immigrant, making knives from what he could find when he came to this country.

2015-12-17 15.16.46.jpg

• Like 1

that's a neat little knife. I always love copper, too.

Most puukos weren't this pointy, but I had a Finnish filet knife when I was a kid that looked almost exactly like that (except the blade was about twice as long).

kc

Phil,yup, stacked birch and a little piece of whitetail deer antler. Kevin, autocorrect got me on the title, it changed sloyd to slots. I meant this one as a Nordic type carving knife.

Dion, I like the addition of the antler in the handle. It really adds to the overall piece.

plus it looks seriously comfortable in the hand.

Thanks Tim, it does feel good in the hand, and almost weightless. That is pretty much what I had in mind George, a carving/whittling knife, it started out as a more traditional puukko, but a heavy hammer blow flattened the belly out, so I went with it. Thanks for commenting.

Aha! now I get it! Sometimes I am slow. Now it all makes sense, and it looks just right!

kc

Man that is such a great profile! That blade is a thing of beauty, And the transition of lines into the swell of the handle is fantastic too! I generally don't like puuko-ish knives as the lines don't agree with me generally, but this isn't that way at all, I really love the flow of it!