Last one for a while

This is for a friend who wanted a hunting knife for his sister. She is hemophiliac and has to stay safe from the blade. From now on I will focus more on bench jewelry, after all the knives from goldsmiths in this forum I decided to go this path for a while. A friend of mine is master goldsmith and teaches me the craft now :)

image.jpeg

good knife, and nice motivation for making it. I remember reading Tim McCreight's knifemaking book, and then looking for more by him and coming across his jewelry book. I was curious why a knifemaker would also be an obviously skilled jeweler. Of course, it makes sense, now.

I take a break from knives a couple of times per year to make a few pieces of jewelry. It helps me with appreciation of fine detail and in getting better with things like soldering, chasing, and engraving. It is not a substitute for blade work, but it helps open the door to a lot more as a cutler. Besides, traditional Chinese swords from the Qing had the rank of the owner denoted by the jewels set in the guard and pommel, and on the scabbard. So... I had to learn how to make bezels and set stones.

It does seem that there are about 2 thousand hobbyist jewelers for every hobbyist knife maker, though.

good luck,

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

My goal is to earn the "art/detail eyes" most here have. Sadly my time and budget doesn't allow to follow both hobbies so I have to make a decision. But after I saw Wielands knifes I think that's a way that can lead to good results :). Probably I will do it reverse of what you do Kevin and make a knife once a while to test out new earned skills.