Last knife of 2015 - a Celtic inflected tanto. Blade is 5 1/2" long, 1/4" thick, forged fromW2, water quenched and given a hybrid polish to bring out the hamon. Copper habaki, silver seppas, and oil blued tsuba. Tsuka is carved from ebony, with a raised relief knot on the spine, and another in sunken relief (shishiai-bori). The raise knot is set with 5 champagne diamonds, tube set in sterling silver, and inlaid at the interstices. The blade is secured in the tsuka with a tapered buffalo horn mekugi. The saya is sycamore, carved with another celtic knot, with a lacquer and oil finish, fitted with a buffalo horn koigouchi and kurigata:

xmas tanto 2.jpg

xmas tanto 3.jpg

xmas tanto 4.jpg

xmas tanto 5.jpg

xmas tanto 6.jpg

let me know what you think...

• Like 2

Hey Jake, how does this feel in hand? The first thing which caught my eye was this blade shape and spine. If / when I design a tanto, I would be hard pressed not to refer to this for inspiration however the carving has your signature. Alan's comments are true.

Thank you for sharing.

Gary LT

Edited by Gary LT

Thanks guys. Gary, it feels pretty good in the hand - carved ebony always does. The blade shape is pretty traditional for a small tanto; the high peaked mune is not - at least I've never seen it before - but I really like the look, so feel free to take inspiration from it. It does make the habaki shaping a bit more complex, though... Woods are ebony for the tsuka and sycamore for the saya.

Well, it just flows, the shapes and widths of each part.

(and I should have read the first post better about the wood)

I need to try carving something, nothing ventured/nothing gained, maybe just pick 2 points and get accustomed to them enough to feel good about it.

GT

that is another outstanding blade/fittings/sheath combo. Hope this coming year is very productive for you, too.

That handle carving rocks, by the way!

That is quite possibly the most perfect blend of east and west ever

I agree, you have achieved a perfect fusion of styles... it looks right.

Well done man, and happy New Year!

that works, definitely yoroidoshi!