Small broken back seax

Einar

I got a 2x72" belt grinder for christmas!!! (Ok, so it was from myself, to myself, but still...) A Pheer 427 with 2 horsepower and variable speed. So much nicer to use than an angle grinder when grinding blades. Got a flat platen, 10 inch contact wheel and small wheel holder as well.

And here is the first fruit of the Pheers loins, a small seax, 15 cm blade (about 6 inch) 11 cm handle (about 4.5 inch) 5 mm 1060 steel. Leather over birch handle.

Constructive critisism and/or flaming is welcomed and appreciated. :)

ADNkc4y.jpg?1

RSjgTAv.jpg?1

ZV4oE3s.jpg?1

c3qh7pR.jpg?1

Not a typical blade shape, but I like it. Looks similar to some finds from Haithabu (the type 7)

bd93452940b62802c28c83b6c9cc995c.jpg

('typ' is type and 'anzahl' is number of finds)

I love it... very clean, aggressive shape, and the leather covered handle works well with it.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

I love it... very clean, aggressive shape, and the leather covered handle works well with it.

Thank you. I like the ones with a steep "kentish notch" though mine might be a bit exaggerated.

I just checked your page and wow, you have a lot of beautiful blades. Inspirational.

Awesome! 2x72s are awesome, eh? haha nice job man.

Now you just need a forge and an anvil. ;)

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Awesome! 2x72s are awesome, eh? haha nice job man.

Now you just need a forge and an anvil. ;)

Oh its wonderful. :) It was pricey, but I havent regretted it for a second. I do have a forge but I use it mostly for heat treating. I will do more forging once I get a proper anvil. The one I have now is really old and not even close to straight. It sags in the middle and the corners are hanging. I've done a bit of forging on it, but its annoying to use, at least for a beginner like me.

Love the Pratchett quote by the way :) Big fan.

Edited by Einar