Forging a chisel

The story board from an article I and Mark Aspery did for the Hammer's Blow. One day I'll do a more detailed posting.
In 2014 I journeyed to the Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building, for what was to be a year of learning to build boats. Family events only allowed me to attend the first semester :--( Anyway, there was a long list of needed tools. I looked at the list and though "Buy these? hell, I can make them" Didn't get many done before it was time to start school, but some of the chisels I did. From that, came the idea of doing the article on chisel forging.

Picture 1037 Large Web view.jpg

Nice! I always enjoy seeing non-knife tools being made. Sorry to hear you had to cut the boatbuilding course short, that sounds fascinating.

My hand-forged knives and tools at Etsy.com: http://www.etsy.com/shop/oldschooltools

Beautiful job, and does a great job of showing how the metal can stretch out. Sorry you had to cut the class short. :(

James Helm - Helm Enterprises, Forging Division

Come see me at the Blade Show! Table 26R.

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/

Great storyboard! I wondered about the class since you started showing up here again before the year was out. Sorry to hear about you missing most of it.

My mom broke her hip, I just felt I needed to be a little closer then 3000 miles. She's much better now.

The boat school was a lot of fun. The semester was spent learning to use tools and the fundamentals of small boat construction. However, I've decided not to go back, instead I'll try to find time to take a few classes up in Maine at the Wooden Boat School.

Edited by Gerald Boggs

now, you can literally tell people, "I have to go, I have boats to build!"

sorry.

Making tools for the workshop is one of the most rewarding aspects of this craft, or at least a very rewarding aspect. Chisels, gravers, gouges (but they are harder), machete, etc. In fact, I have been putting off making another machete, never find the time.

Good story board. The starting from round stock made great integral bolsters.

take care,

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Man, thank you! I wish I had seen something like this when I forged a chisel last year. I posted some photos here a little while ago if you want to see it. So, what steel did you use?

Sure, post away. 3/4 round for the body. 1 by 1 by 1/4 inch of O-1 for the edge.

now, you can literally tell people, "I have to go, I have boats to build!"

sorry.

Making tools for the workshop is one of the most rewarding aspects of this craft, or at least a very rewarding aspect. Chisels, gravers, gouges (but they are harder), machete, etc. In fact, I have been putting off making another machete, never find the time.

Good story board. The starting from round stock made great integral bolsters.

take care,

kc

I'm not done with the boat building :-), there are some cool sounding one and two week classes here on the east coast.

I find round is a good starting shape for a lot if tools.

Edited by Gerald Boggs

So the body is 3/4" round mild steel and the working end is O-1? Did you half-sole it (O-1 on the back, mild on top) or is it a lap weld with the whole end of O-1? I suspect the former, mostly because it's tradtitional and I know how you think...

So the body is 3/4" round mild steel and the working end is O-1? Did you half-sole it (O-1 on the back, mild on top) or is it a lap weld with the whole end of O-1? I suspect the former, mostly because it's tradtitional and I know how you think...

Oh, how well you do :-). Yes, "half-sole" if you look at step 5, it's there I put the 1" square of O-1 and welded. I didn't bother cleaning up the end, as after forge welding and drawing it out, I cut off the last 1/2 inch. The trick is to hammer more on the tool steel side, otherwise the mild, being softer, will spread and wrap around the sides of the tool steel.