Quick and Dirty

Austin_Lyles

Hey all! So I always try to work as efficiently as possible when making knives for my customers. Keeping that in mind, I designed this little fellow in order to keep it affordable. After all is said and done I was quite happy with finishing the knife in 5 work hours. I'm also always trying to refine my skills at heat treating for hamons. It never ceases to amaze me at how unpredictable a hamon can be....

Overall is 7"

W2

Curly Mesquite

Hope you guys like it and Happy New Years!

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

Edited by Austin_Lyles

5 hours. damn. that would take me about 10 or 12.

I do everything on handle shaping with rasps, files, and paper. I just can't do it with a grinder and not ruin it. Plus, rasps and files are my favorite tools to use.

looks very good. Striking a balance is important, and something I don't do well (my $100 knives take about 10 hours, and then there are materials, so I am doing skilled labor at less-than-minimum wage).

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Quick, maybe, but definitely not dirty! A very elegant piece, actually; nice hamon, and that wood is a knockout!

My hand-forged knives and tools at Etsy.com: http://www.etsy.com/shop/oldschooltools

Thanks for the great comments guys! Admittedly this was a stock removal, as I had needed to make it quick for a deer hunt of mine. With the addition of a new grinder my work time has been cut down considerably. Haha perhaps the title itself was quick and dirty. However there are a few things that didn't turn out how I wanted, and if only I had more time, would have changed. The hamon, the choil area, the polish.

Kevin I know how you feel. I also do quite a few handles with files and rasps. I really like it though. The work is slow and there is less room to screw up.

A very nice looking knife. Turning it out in five hours is amazing. I'm with Kevin, I do my handles with hand tools to keep from screwing them up.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!