• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gerald Boggs

Axe from Gransfor Bruk's museum collection.

12 posts in this topic

While I was at Axe School, one if the things I was hoping to see in the Museum was one of these axes. Gränsfors Bruks sells them as "The Gränsfors Broad Axes model 1700" http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/log-building-and-carpentry-tools/gransfors-broad-axe-model-1700/

Lars Enander in his book Klassiskt Jarnsmide (sadly only available in Swedish) describes how to forge one. Between the photos I have and the drawings in the book, I hope to forge one.

I've got a few more photos, but have yet to downsize them for the internet, but here's the first three.

IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.jpg

Edited by Gerald Boggs

That's cool! The welds look kind of sub-par, but that just helps piece together how it was constructed!

There were two of them in the museum, the other was in good shape. I liked this one for that very reason, it clearly shows all the welds.

Edited by Gerald Boggs

Cool! Looks a bit easier than the Norwegian ones we did (I did finish one later!) with Tom Latane. That big thick edge is interesting as well. And the welded-on poll.

Very cool. I look forward to the additional pics to get a better feel for how the poll fits with everything.

Thanks for posting,

James

Gerald, did you see the one Martin Claudel made recently? I hope he brings it along to Montmarillon in April

I actually don't know who Martin Claudel is. But I would love to see one that was made in this style using the same methods.

I just know of him through the axe works web site but understand he's showing up at the blacksmith/traditional carpentry demonstration in Montmarillon, Fr. this month. On his social media web sites he shows of course a lot of his work including forging up such an axe as the so-called 1700 model you've shown here.

https://www.facebook.com/609826759129934/photos/pcb.849339015178706/849336095178998/?type=3&theater

On more of these axes, the old ones, I see that the key at the closure of the socket is only partially welded which I first thought was a fluke, or a weld let loose from use but now I see it recurring it makes me wonder if it's the intension that the under section is left weld-free there. My new-made one from Lars Enander is welded over the whole length of the key by the way.

Interesting, but way outside my ken, I'm still working out the steps to forge it :-)