Austin_Lyles

Tooth Picker - KITH WIP (pic heavy)

Hey guys. Figured I get a few things rolling on our bowie kiths. I did a little brainstorming and came up with pretty basic style of blade. It's subject to change whenever (I think the blade still needs work) but over all I'm pretty excited for how it's going so far. I wanted to incorporate a dark colored theme with copper. The plan is to make a frame-handled blade. I've never made a bowie and figured why not make it a frame-handle while I'm at. :rolleyes:

Anyways, here goes nothing and hope you guys enjoy following along.

So it's pretty normal looking. Planning on using a lot of copper (pins, liners, spacers), dark or nearly black wood, and a bronze guard. I'll plan for a shovel head damascus blade but I'm still not sure what I'll do with that. Either etch for whatever pattern is there (I don't plan on a high layer count) or clay-coat for a hamon (from what I understand the steel is close to 1080, but it shows promise when I tested it.)

Pic%2525202.jpg

Here's a few of the things I picked up. I ended up returning the circular saw blades and the shovel once we agreed we didn't need to BUY all our material. Sure saved me some money. I have PLENTY of shovels laying around that I'll end up using.

pic%2525201.jpg

So here's my handle material. It's some sort of compressed bamboo flooring stuff. I have no clue what in the world it actually is. You can see it in the middle above before I processed it. After talking to the clerk for a little bit she ended up just saying I could have the sample free of charge.

pic%2525203.jpg

This is the only thing I'm not sure of when it comes to materials bought at the hardware store. It's a huge valve made of bronze. Home depot I'm sure has them but you'd find these easily at a Ewing (landscaping supply store). Plan to chop it in half and use it for a guard.pic%2525204.jpg

So here is what my blade will be made of. A bunch of random shovel heads. They seem to be made by the same company. I'll chop it into forgable pieces and forge it flat so I can cut my strips for the billet.

pic%2525205.jpg

Before I get too into this I double check to make sure the steel hardens up nicely. Turns out it does just fine. Snapped off on the second hit.
pic%2525207.jpg

After testing if it hardens, I figured I'd see if I could get a hamon out of it. Not exactly what I expected. Seems to be very faint but quite active. Quenched in water.

pic%25252010.jpg

Didn't really polish much. Just wanted to see what I'd get. Pretty cool.

pic%25252011.jpg

Forging everything as flat as I can.

pic%2525208.jpg

After everything is nice and flat I mark out my strips for the billet and start cutting.

pic%2525209.jpg

Everything is cut to shape and all surfaces are cleaned. Tightened up in the vice and tacked together in preparation for the forge.

pic%25252012.jpg

Sticking everything together. Welded up pretty good from what I can tell.

Pic%25252013.jpg

After a quick pass I cleaned off the edge with a grinder to make sure my welds were good. A quick etch later and I was surprised you could actually see the layers. I'm sure there won't be that much contrast once it's heat treated. The only thing I'm worried about is I don't have enough material for the blade. We'll see after forging it out a bit more, and if I'm short, I'll have to forge up another billet to add to this one.

pick%25252014.jpg

And that's it for tonight yall. I'm pretty tired! Please let me know if you guys think it would be stretching the rules to use that bronze valve for my guard.

Wow, nice work. I like the design concept.

I think the valve is in the spirit of the build. I also think you suck for being this far along already :P

Yeah, Good job... (freakin' overachiever :P ).

How many shovels did you use?

I hope no more than 2!

-Gabriel

Looking forward to this!

i too would like to point out how much you suck for being so far along >.>

i wanna see how that brass comes into play

Hah, I on the other hand like the get to business fast attitude :) Unfortunately my urge to get to work is hindered by work, weather and a few other projects I really need to work on first. Soon though!

Haha guys, I'm off for winter break. School starts up the 19th so I'm just trying to knock a little work out. :P

Gabriel, I used two shovels but I was lazy and left out the hard to work parts. After flattening, some parts kept wanting to return to a shovel shape. :/ I think I got a total of 7 or 8 layers. The billet was at 1 1/2" wide by 7" long at 1" thick. The plan is to have the knife spine at 1/4 or 3/16" thick.

I am thinking the blade may end up with an utsuri, and that will be fan-freaking-tastic

On a side note, i am planing on casting a few copper ingots from tubing just to have around for GP. set up for Britannia Metal, should not be to hard to swap over to copper

Edited by S. Cruse

Oh boy. Am I toying with the idea of a coffin handle instead of what I got.

Damnit man!

that was my idea... :'(

-Gabriel

Two shovels eh? Thanks for the heads up!

Oh boy. Am I toying with the idea of a coffin handle instead of what I got.

Well, let me say that I agree with the prior assessments of how much you suck..........

I think your original handle is a better idea than the coffin shape for two reasons:

1. I just don't like coffin handles much. (I think they are ugly)

2. I always say go with your gut instinct. Second guessing yourself is usually a bad idea. Trust that inspirational moment. The blade drawing you have looks great. Is it going to be a full through tang with finial nut?

BTW, I am giving a demo next Saturday on frame handle construction. If you have any questions about how to go about it, send me a PM.

Damnit man!

that was my idea... :'(

-Gabriel

Two shovels eh? Thanks for the heads up!

Err... mine too. Sticking to it though :)

Can't do anything around here without getting in trouble. :P Please stick with it Gabriel. It was only a thought!

Joshua, i appreciate the advice and the offer! I will probably take you up on it. I plan on the knife being like you described. I like the idea of taking it down for cleaning.

Alrighty gents! After being out of town last night and early today, I got a little work done tonight.

Went ahead and laddered the billet just to make things interesting in case something shows up in the etch.

pic%25252015.jpg

Of course something had to go wrong.

pic%25252016.jpg

I got lucky and the delam only was halfway in. Was able to grind it out!

pick%25252017.jpg

So a front blew through right when I was working and made it really foggy out. The fog, lit up by some flood lights, made for an awesome picture!

pic%25252018.jpg

Alright, back to work. :P I went backwards and forged the tang out on accident. I don't forge blade profiles much....ha

pic%25252019.jpg

Getting the clip started. It's a bit more difficult to get the curve with my "anvil".... as I figure the horn on a real anvil helps significantly!

pic%25252020.jpg

pic%25252021.jpg

So here she is after forging. I've never forged something this close to final profile before. Pretty happy with it. I know the surface is pretty rough and I left plenty of meat on the blade for grinding.

pic%25252022.jpg

A little cleaned up. Still got more profiling to do but it's close!

pic%25252023.jpg

After a quick etch, you can see my weld lines and a little pattern showing through.

pic%25252024.jpg

This is where I finished up tonight yall. I'll try to keep this updated the best I can. :)

Wow, you are really moving along! I'm eager to see what kind of pattern you end up with.

Damn Austin!

Rarely do I see such crisp clean profile lines while hammering. That is a beaut!

From the photos it looks like you may still be able to forge out that coffin shape.

Hope you do! You definitely have silenced all my bitching! :lol:

Pat yourself on the back for me eh?

-Gabriel

Good news and possibly really bad news. Got my rough grinds done tonight. I won't go any further up till after heat treat.

Fine tuning the clip with some files.
25.jpg

"That's not a knife........... THIS is a knife!"

26.jpg

So to the good news. Got quite an interesting pattern peaking through! Still thinking of clay-coating for a hamon.

27.jpg

So now the bad news. Possibly fatal news...... it seems I have a weld flaw. Bummer. I'll see if I can grind it out at the cost of reducing the thickness of the blade. Cross your fingers!

28.jpg

Edited by Austin_Lyles

Project is on hold atm. I'll be back to school with classes starting next week. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else will be coming up with while I sit here itching to get back to work. :)

So what happened?

Ah. I forgot to update this. As of right now, I'm probably going to try to make a new blade. The flux inclusion took too much grinding to fix, and I fear my hollow grind is too thin. The screwed up blade makes for a good template though. <_< Plan on just quickly getting something going with a san-mai of mild/file steel. Trying the shovels again just takes too much time that I don't have.