Scott A. Roush

Shards of the North 2016

I've set the dates for this years Shards of the North bladesmith gathering at my shop in Northern Wisconsin. The dates will be June 10, 11 and 12 with the core of the event (smelting, formal demos, etc) being on the 12th .. a Saturday. I'm still working out details on how to handle various logistical details for this year's event but I wanted to let people know that at least the dates are set.

Another exciting bit of news is that I have Janel Jacobsen is scheduled for a wood carving demonstration on the 12th. If you are not aware of the 'idea' behind my Shards event well the core of the idea is to create an opportunity in which a bladesmith can push their craft forward by being exposed to things a bit outside of the box. So I encourage the participation of an eclectic group of craftsfolk: luthiers, potters, glassblowers, engravers, wood carvers, etc. Last year we had an amazing day-long demonstration of Viking age end-grain bowl and cup making with a pole lathe. Janel's participation this year will introduce people to a level of wood carving that is beyond belief. If you are not aware of Janel's work.. here it is: http://www.janeljacobson.com/

Anyway... I have yet to determine entry cost, food, etc.. but please feel free to PM me. A great way to stay in touch is via the Shards Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Shards%20Hammer-in

edit: Due to the fact that not everybody uses Facebook.. it can be a bit of a challenge keeping up with things so I will do my best to update this thread. But I'm thinking it might be a good idea to compile an email list of interested parties so that I can send out announcements... Please PM me with your email address and I will get on that.

Edited by Scott A. Roush

Is there a charge to attend?

Yes... but not sure what it is yet for this year. I don't do this for profit and in the past I've been breaking even. I just need to cover expenses for outhouse rental, the food I provide and paid demonstrators. I'm thinking of doing the food thing differently this year due to the stress and time spent managing that aspect. I'd rather see people's money go towards good demonstrators. My thinking is that we go 'potluck' as much as we possibly can and then make barbecue, smoker and turkey fryer continuously available. Still working on this. The other option is going to a catered event.. but then it starts to get expensive. So far I've been keeping it to $40/person.

Please note.. the calendar I used for June 2016 was off one day inexplicably. So the actual dates are Friday Jun 10, 11 and 12th. If one were to only come one day.. the 11th would be it.

Scott, somehow I missed this...

Janel's work is unsurpassed.

I had this to say: http://jimkelso.com/journal/?cat=6

Wish I could make it but moving intrudes...

Hi Jim.. Yes.. so excited. I've been irreversibly changed ever since seeing Janel's work.. especially the stuff she does in unstained boxwood. The life she can put into a relatively homogenous material is .. mind blowing. Her and I have been corresponding for a bit and I'm so glad she has agreed to do this...

I'm really looking forward to coming up again this year (pending confirmation I can get the weekend off)! Always a great time in great company!

I'm really looking forward to coming up again this year (pending confirmation I can get the weekend off)! Always a great time in great company!

Thanks for the note John... Can't wait.

If anybody else on this forum who thinks they might come and doesn't use the Facebook page... please drop a note here. It's time to start getting an estimate of attendance ....

Hey folks.. Shards is getting closer. We've added Anglo-Saxon pottery pit firing to the agenda (Friday morning pot making with pit firing Saturday evening). Janel Jacobsen is still on the roster. We will also have John Overby set up doing wonderful Scandinavian style flat plane carving. A local fellow I've just had the pleasure to meet.

Please contact me if you are interested in this event. I'm doing tickets for the event online this year to make it easier. As an encouragement to use this I'm selling 'early bird' tickets at a reduced cost @$30. $50 at the event.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/shards-of-the-north-2016-tickets-25331686757

Again.. contact me via PM here, email or find me on Facebook. We have a pretty lively Facebook page that gives folks a good idea of how things go....

Well this past weekend was an astounding success with an incredible gathering of talented folks. It was a pleasure meeting Janel Jacobsen and seeing her work in person.. as well as many other extraordinary people. We successfully smelted copper, made a big steely bloom from ore and pit fired Anglo-Saxon/Viking age pottery. I will try to get more pictures on here soon.. but in the meantime here is this:

https://www.facebook.com/ScottRoushBladesmith/posts/10207721374251524

And check out this blog post by one of the participants. This really captures a special element of what I'm trying to accomplish:

http://lusaorganics.typepad.com/clean/2016/06/in-the-forge.html