I made a battle axe...

Einar

... when I was 17, in the school workshop. I really thought this was what a real battle axe would be like, at the time. :blink:

When I showed the shop teacher the, quite frankly, brilliant technical drawings for this monstrosity, he sighed and shook his head, pinching the bridge of his nose as if he had a migraine and told me that I needed written permission from my parents if he was to let me make that thing in school.

Some hard stats:

Made from unhardenable construction steel.

Total length, about 110 cm. Blade width 40 cm. Blade thickness 10 mm.

The shaft is a solid 30 mm bar, tapered to 20 mm where its welded to the axe head. The grip portion of the handle is checkered, so it'll flay the skin from your hands with any extended use. Its like gripping a huge round file.

Oh and it weighs 9 kg, or 20 lbs, so dont worry, you wont swing it for long.

250t2lg.jpg

The real take-away from this is that your parents apparently signed off on it, making your parents pretty cool people. My dad helped me make my first forge, so he too gets cool parent points. B)

• Like 1

At least you built something that looked cool and learned that it was totally impractical. That puts you ahead of the majority of people out there. :)

James Helm - Helm Enterprises, Forging Division

Come see me at the Blade Show! Table 26R.

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/

The real take-away from this is that your parents apparently signed off on it, making your parents pretty cool people. My dad helped me make my first forge, so he too gets cool parent points. B)

That is true :)

Its been 22 years since I made this thing, and I still have it.