Timothy Artymko

Final Shot - KITH WIP

Well, I will have to take another good look at it all when I get into my workshop tonight. I need to sit down and figure out exactly what I am going to do for a spacer behind the guard. I have some butcher-block counter that looks like it might be birch, and a load of maple hardwood, but it's not figured at all....

I like long ricassos- sometimes they allow for the over finger grip when you need a little extra precision

Maple takes a dye or stain really well.

Ok, I will have to use some of it then! It is all hardwood flooring, but it's wood :P

So in your guy's opinion, should I still put the bullet casing in as a pin? I don't know how the whole color thing will work because I was planning on my handle being something like red/light maple with the copper or something really dark like a walnut finish. What do you guys like?

Well, I still haven't found the time to get pictures up and it's time to hit the hay, but it's HT'd!! :D And I put it through the first temper cycle and will put it through one more tomorrow. And I also blackened the guard. I don't know of the best way to do this, but I just heated to about 1100-1250 F and quenched it in oil so that scale really hadn't formed and the oil could burn into it. Hopefully pictures soon! I have some , just need to put em on!

Idk how others do it Tim, but when i want to forge blacken something i heat it to black heat around 600-800ish or so and rub the metal with beeswax/mineral oil paste that i made myself. Its a pretty hardy finish ive found. I obviously free it from debris first with a hefty wire brushing first.

I finally forced myself to sit down and upload some photos for this! Since these have been taken, the handle has been further sanded and scuplted, the blade HT'd and the guard blackened. I might save showing those until I am almsot complete, but since I don't have any photos of them yet, here's to progress!

IMG_5482.JPG

IMG_5483.JPG

IMG_5484.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG

Doesn't look too great in these photos, but oh well. The handle is three pieces of maple hardwood flooring laminated together with 3 layers of green linen in between. It looks more black than anything, but that's life I guess :P

Thanks! I am trying to keep up to par with the other builds so far, and I am starting to question if I can xD

Oh you certainly can, and you will!

This KITH has been a story of failure, just like most here :P That beautiful and huge knife broke due to unseen flaws in from forging in a trial testing, and I just about turned it into a throwing knife.... I didn't want to post anything until I had finished something and was happy, so here you are! It is the salvaged piece from my second knife, but its still some 380mm OA.. I will get some nicer photos sometime in the future, but for now, enjoy :)

IMG_24881.JPG

IMG_24891.JPG

Edited by Timothy Artymko

Tim,

Failure only occurs when one gives up in the face of advertise. While you may not have what you expected, take heart in that you have succeeded.

Good job! Pat yourself on the back man!

-Gabriel

I am going to apologize in advance for any and all scratches on my knife, I put it through a series of tests to make sure that it wasn't going to just fail n whomever recieves it. I went about pruning a few maples, ash, and poplars around the yard then cut up some 3 inch sections of a fallen poplar and then feeling a little hyped, I thrust the tip through a 55 gallon drum twice and and through a 10 gallon drum once. Needless to say there are some scratches from it all, but it's not going to fall apart :D