N. Runals

Lawn mower, handsaw bowie- KITH WIP

So I decided to partake in the KITH this year, I love the idea of making a knife from hardware store type materials.

I had a lawnmower blade and plenty of crappy hand saws, so I figured I make up a billet, I'm still not 100% sure what pattern I'll do, but I have a few ideas kicking around.

I'm also toying with the idea of using the saw handle as a handle for the knife, but that will be decided once the blade is complete. Here are some crappy pictures of the starting materials and one after the first welding was done.

20160110_174959.jpg

20160112_194858.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

So I decided to try a weird pattern that i don't know if it even exists....

Also I should mention that before starting I didn't check to see if these steels would etch differently... dumb I know.

The pattern I was going for was sort of a modified pineapple twist, my friend pete came up with something called "the poor man's pineapple twist" I'm sure someone else has done it, but I haven't seen it. It's the basic pineapple twist with no grooves chiseled in. I thought it might be just funky enough to try for this KITH.

At this point I have around 150 layers, I then twisted the bar which was about 1.5" square.

IMG_0188.jpg

Then you square the bar back up

IMG_0191.jpg

Then you twist the bar the opposite way you originally twisted it. This looks weird, pete makes it look a lot cooler.

IMG_0195.jpg

I then forged the bar down flat and did a quick test etch to see if I had any contrast in the steels... turns out they sort of do, I wish it had a little more, but I think I can work with it.

IMG_0199.jpg

The problem I have now is that the bar is too small for what I originally wanted to do. It's about 1 1/8" x 3/8". I'm trying to decide if I want to make a smaller knife or cut stack and weld again. Any opinions on that?

1-1/8 by 3/8 by how long? I made a Bowie from about 4 inches of the same size W-1

Scrap it_opt.jpg

It seems like you should be able to get a decent blade out of what you have.

Edited by Joshua States

Thanks gents, Joshua I have about 12" of it so there is plenty of material. I was wanting to make a big ol bowie something at least 8" long around 1/4" at the thickest part of the spine and around 2" wide. I also want to be able to grind a bit in to reveal some of the (I hope?) stars in the pattern.

I did think about doing a lamination with a file as the edge steel, but not sure if that is the route I want to take.

Anyone more experienced than myself have an idea of what would happen to the pattern if I did cut, stack and re-weld?

I ended up cutting and welding the bar again. This gave me 450 layers.

Here is the rough forged blade

IMG_0211.jpg

Here is a quick look at the pattern and profile prior to HT. I didn't get the blade as wide as I would have liked, but that's okay. The blade did survive the HT and is tempering right now.

IMG_0217.jpg

Lastly, I'd like folks opinions on this. I thought it may be cool to incorporate the handle from the saw and leave the little carving it has. Thoughts? I'm not sure how I feel about the shape.

IMG_0218.jpg

Cool idea on the handle, but not a big fan. Maybe shape it so it fits and redo the carving? I really need to get started...

I like the imagination here Nate.

The handle does look a tad weird but maybe if you reduced all the dimensions a bit it may look like a better fit.

Alan, right there with you...

If you remove the tip of the tree on the carving, it looks like you would be able to drop the top edge of the handle down to where it is more in line with the spine of the blade. I think that would make it look less awkward.

I have some similar thoughts for my project. I keep thinking about how to make a knife along the lines of a "Rat Rod" theme so that there are identifiable bits of hardware in the final piece :)

Pull the heel of the handle down and curve the tang to fit the curve of the handle. This is a very common handle design in larger knives. You might even think about splitting that handle in half length wise and making a frame handle design..........

I agree about the saw handle, if I do choose to use it I will definitely be shaping it quite a bit to get it to flow better with the blade shape.

Here is a little secret... i've never done a bowie :ph34r: and another secret... I'm related to Jim Bowie :blink:

That being said I'm not super happy with how the blade turned out, there is a reason to use known steels, the contrast in this mix leaves a lot to be desired but I figure that fits with the theme. It was a little tricky to get much of any contrast in the etch. This is the result of about 5 30 minute sessions in ferric, I'm also not thrilled with the auto-hamon type thing happening by the ricasso. Also the dark parts aren't really weld flaws, or if they are they couldn't be seen when the blade was polished out, i'm pretty sure it's the result of the reverse twist, which I do not think I'll do again. Anyway... here it is!

IMG_0231.jpg

Also I'm thinking about the handle and sheath now. I got a few materials that may be of use.

IMG_0228.jpg

I grabbed the cotton towels with the intent of making a wooden sheath out of a 2x4 and wrapping the sheath in the cotton sort of like a linen wrapped sword scabbard, I still may do that depending on the handle material I choose, but I thought it would be cool to make some micarta with them. I also picked up the cork thinking I could use it as spacers in the handle, but then though it may be cool to add a few pieces of that into the micarta. The rawhide is for the sheath, weather it's all rawhide or if I make a wooden core and wrap that in rawhide is still to be determined.

This is fantastic! I think the pattern is cool either way, but I agree with the known steels thing. It seems that any time I venture into the realm of weird stuff there's always a problem down the road. The auto hamon etch thing absolutely destroyed a laminated knife I just made to the point where I just re polished it and left it unetched...

I wonder what a stacked cork handle would look like? Sort of like leather or birch bark but it might just disintegrate. Really wish I had been able to join this KITH!

The blade and handle materials have not been changed since my last post, but I'd like to address John's idea of a stacked cork handle.

I've spent a good portion of march and into april trying to fish our limited trout streams here in the LP of michigan, last week with numb hands and frustration at the high waters I almost dropped my knife into the water. Pretty much as soon as I got home and warmed up I thought about a cork handled bird and trout knife.... I'm sure many have though the same thing after a similar afternoon, but I was taken with the idea and forged a very slim blade and started to cut up the cork. Hopefully this week I'll have time to finish out the blade and test the knife.

Haha...like I said, I'm sure there are cork handled knives out there I just haven't seen one. Although I guess I can't say that anymore :rolleyes:

Well the knife is finished up, now I'm working on the sheath. The sheath is a 2x4, I'm thinking about incorporating the dog chew raw hide somehow.

I decided to go with the shop rags for the handle, I stacked them all up and epoxied them all together. I used mild steel and copper for the guard and pin. This knife has lots of flaws in it, but I hope that represents the theme. Weird and funky.

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

That looks great dude! Tell me more about that handle material and the process you used to make it.

Thanks.

I took a tupperware container and put the towels in there layering them up,I epoxied in between each layer. Then I took a board and clamped down on it to make everything tight and hopefully get the air bubbles out (thas was mostly successful).

The rag micarta is awesome! Funky all around, indeed, but in a good way B)

Nate...

That is pretty slick!

-Gabriel

Alright, I'm completely done!

The sheath is made from a 2x4 and a dog chew raw hide.

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

• Like 1

like it kinda sexy, mostly bc it where all used materials you used as well