W2 tanto test etch

Hey guys I hear treated this tanto last night and decided to give it a test etch before I grind it down. Still need to do a little straightening and the hamon runs off very close to the machi but overall I'm stunned. Tell me what you think and feel free to critique!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The hamon looks great, I'll be curious to see it after finish grinding and polishing. Be sure to post pics of the finished blade.

I was making a habaki jig like Walter sorrels used but I guess epoxy does not have any resistance to shock. So the habaki will have to wait a few days until I find some time to solder the jig together with some stay brite. In the meantime I decided to do yet another test etch. This time the blade is ground sharp and at a very dirty 1000 grit. It's amazing how much more tame the hamon is after grinding away quite a bit of material (Edge was at .120 out of quench. And I started adding my edge after I flat ground until it was .0625" at the edge). Still, I am in now way unhappy with the hamon. It's still beautiful to me and has plenty of activity (especially towards the tip) and even has some crazy mune yaki. How thin do you grind your edges before heat treat? I'm thinking the .12 was a tad bit thick. Anyways here are some crappy pictures...I hope you enjoy them.

-the image uploaded is being slow so I will just post these pics until I can get to my computer.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

Edited by JeffFogleboch