So a few years ago I traded a small anvil for an old coal forge. This thing's a beast, but it is solid and came with an electric blower that is variable speed and still works.

Coal Forge.JPG

Looking down into the forge area, it used to have a lot of white-yellow stuff around the fire-pot that I assumed was some sort of castable refractory. It got wet (several times) and the stuff has pretty much dissolved, so I'm not really sure what it was.

Coal Forge (2).JPG

The question is this: Should I replace that stuff? If so, what should I use?

Looks like a commercial firepot set in a wheel. These were designed to hang in open air to let the heat radiate off, thus preventing a burnout. I'd keep the pot, plumbing, and blower and drop it in a steel plate tabletop. Mine is in a 24x36" 3/16" plate with wooden frame and legs. Don't line it with anything or insulate it, they were not meant to be treated that way.

• Like 1

What Alan said. My forge is also 3/16" 2'x3', and I recently built a new firepot much like this one to go in it. Works great, and you've got the most important and hardest to make/find parts already.

Looks pretty awesome. It sounds to me like the stuff you were talking about that dissolved was just ash and broken down charcoal and such left over from not cleaning out the firepot.

I have another question regarding setting this firepot in a flat table. I took these photos at night so excuse the color, or lack thereof...

There seems to be an air controller in the bottom that rotates freely and can direct the air from the blower somewhat, or cut it off. Or is this a clinker-breaker of some sort?

Coal firepot.JPG

Coal firepot (2).JPG

Looking at the shape/design, if I were to set this in a flat table, it wouldn't be enclosed. The flanges don't go all the way around the pot, so two sides would be open and stuff (including burning coal) could fall through.

Well, they were originally meant to hang in a thicker tabletop of split bricks (forgot that tidbit earlier), but I just fill the gap with furnace cement. Some people weld little angle iron end caps on the table as well.I put a wad of 1/4" mesh wire screen and fill it in with Rutlandsfurnace cement. Lasts several years, and when it does.pop off just smear a little more on the old piece and slap it back on.

The other thingy is a clinker breaker. Does it have a bigger hole on the other side? Buffalo used to make one that made a wide blast in one position and a narrow one for welding in the opposite position.

@Alan, Thanks for the info and suggestions. I will be looking to set this up this spring.

Yes, that clinker breaker thingy has two different holes (pictured above), one is slightly wider and shown going from top to bottom in the photo, the narrower one goes side to side. They are connected to each other through the breaker. There are no other holes in the thingy.