owen bush

Felt wheels

I have just scored a bunch of felt contact wheels, most are 17.5 inch diameter some are with Ali centres some not they come with matching rubber contact wheels.

Do any of you have any experience using felt contact wheels, either under belts or with compound?

The felt on ally wheels feel like velour very plush and will make awesome backing for polishing along the length of the blade.

Any hints, tips would be apreciated, especially safety size.

Edited by owen bush

Post some pics I would like to see what you are talking about!! Where did you get these wheels if you don' mind me asking, I have never heard of felt contact wheels before???

we had a felt belt for awhile untill the joint popped, works well for stropping edges, I did not finding helpfull for polishing as it tended to smear when using standard compounds I would think using a grease based compounds might eliminate that issue.

OK you got my attention that pdf is an interesting read for sure!!! Owen I had forgotten you were in the UK. I don't know if we have one company that has as much to offer state side!! I especially liked the section on Contact wheels page 26 of the pdf! There is a lot of info in there, so haven't had time to read all but as promised very interesting!!!

I would still love to see some pics as well as some shots of the steel ground on the felt contact wheel. The idea that the contact wheel can have such an effect on the final sanding. Well it gives a whole new dimension to grinding that I really had not given a lot of thought to till this moment!!

I used to use this line on my men when I was doing construction and they had just had a revelation about something I just explained to them about why of how of something concerning the construction we were doing!!!! Now I have to use it on myself in this case!!

I see said, the blind man, as he picked up his tools and went to work!!!

Here are some picks:-

the wheels came with a backstand linisher 3hp .

these are the all felt wheels , some have been contoured for specific tasks, two have Rads that would make great fuller cleaner uppers.

24161499060_a3992599cb_z.jpg

these are the ali ones 17.5 inch diameter some rubber some soft plush felt.

24348794862_4c9b4d42af_z.jpg

close up of some contoured wheels, there is possible evidence of using glued on compounds, hard to tell though.

I think the contoured radius wheel would run J flex belts well.

24457101585_7f10806f8b_z.jpg

Can't help with using them, but great score!

Experimentation is the basis of all learning!

I do not have any experience with felt wheels, but I did find this link:

http://www.feltbobs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=page&id=11

It looks like you would put them on a buffer and apply compound directly to the felt.

Edited by Joshua States

We use felt wheels to back sanding belts at work. They provide the ability to shape the wheel and a very aggressive cutting action.

I have just been speaking to Bader to order some spare bearings for my space saver. these felt wheels (the all felt ones ) cost upwards of $400 each.......thats just the plain felt ones...

An advantage to the softness being that you do not get jump marks from the belt overlap.

We use felt wheels to back sanding belts at work. They provide the ability to shape the wheel and a very aggressive cutting action.

I would love to know what belts you use on them , I presume J flex belts (i am guessing)

we picked up a hard cotton buff contact wheel for our badder, great contact wheel for polishing, it conforms slightly to the work and doesn't leave facets, also works well for polishing the insides of hollow grinds, I use it with Jflex belts or with scotchbright belt.

MP