Sign in to follow this  
Chad Scott

First KITH!

Hello all! This will be my first KITH, so I'm a bit nervous, but I shall go ahead and make a fool of myself anyways!

Anyway, I drew the first thing that came into my head while I was waiting for the forge to warm up at work: WP_20160125_11_07_03_Pro.jpg

I should make it to the store in the next few days, so we will see what happens!

So an update on my progress!

After much scrounging around, and many hardware stores visited, I picked up the biggest baddest file I could find. I went to work on it and once I was finished I realized it looked nothing like me original sketch. No big deal, I liked the shape much better anyway.

After redrawing my design here is what I have

image.jpeg

After taking to 500

image.jpeg

I need to head back to the store to get some higher grit sandpaper and furnace cement for a hamon.

I also picked up a small cross pein hammer to use as the guard

image.jpeg

I am planning on shaping a copper spacer to fit the guard, followed by a large mild steel spacer, another copper, then the rest of the handle. I am undecided as to if I am going to make a frame handle or not as of yet.

I like the new design better too. It's more Bowie and less Kabar.

So I put all my parts together today to see what they all were doing, and it is starting to look like something! I also did a quick etch to see what the hamon (if there was any) Was doing. Since this was my first attempt at one I am confused at what I am looking at, I have dark spots toward the tip, obviously hard. So I thought I pushed the hamon off the edge due to too much clay. But I also saw at the other end of the blade, another line a few shades lighter, along with some cloudiness throughout the center. Do you think I should give it another try? Also I have a lot of squiggly lines running down the blade after the quick etch, grit lines I didn't take out?image.jpegimage.jpeg

Edited by Chad Scott

so... here is my blade now, i sanded to 1000 and etched attempting to bring out a hamon. What do you guys think happened here?

IMG_2420.jpgIMG_2419.jpgIMG_2423.jpg

Edited by Chad Scott

What did you etch with and how did you clean the blade before etching? Looks like oil streaking and a fingerprint or two from here.

So my knife is 90% of the way there. I had to change my design a bit, as i couldn't achieve a good fit between the guard, spacer, and handle material. I ended up cutting the rounded section off of the guard and going with two copper spacers and a mild steel spacer. Next week i plan on using plum brownn barrel finish on the guard and mild steel spacer, followed by gluing it all together and finishing the handle with tru oil. Almost there!

IMG_1432.JPG

Edited by Chad Scott

What did you etch with and how did you clean the blade before etching? Looks like oil streaking and a fingerprint or two from here.

i cleaned the blade in lacquer thinner then rinsed in water, afterwords i etched in ferric.

I suspect the water rinse plus whatever you used to wipe off the blade is the culprit. Anyway, looks good now!

Yeah, I like that too.

So here is an update with the finished bowie. Somewhere iin the process of taking it completely apart to brown the fittings some things changed. For one one of the spacers juuust barely sits proud of the rest or the handle. I also deburred the spacers, only afterwords realizing that those burrs were hiding some slight gaps... My fit and finish is definitely my biggest struggle. Overall though, I am proud of this blade, and it is going to be difficult to let it go. After a little break I will start working on a sheath! WP_20160317_17_58_14_Pro.jpgWP_20160317_17_56_22_Pro.jpg

That came out great Chad. Nicely done.

I decided to go ahead and try to make a sheath in the limited time we have remaining. I am hoping to finish it up by next week at the latestWP_20160608_12_53_24_Pro.jpg

So I had more free time than I thought, so I finished the sheath up today. My KITH entry is now 100% complete, at least until I decide otherwise.

WP_20160609_17_49_21_Pro.jpgWP_20160609_17_50_41_Pro.jpg

Hmm, I've been trying to figure out how to attache some sort of hanger to my blue-jeans scabbard, and I think you just solved that problem for me...

Haha.. Well it looks better than I thought it was going to. Getting those three pieces fastened in place within the 5 minute window of the epoxy was quite stressful.

Edited by Chad Scott