ABS BURNOUT QUESTIONS

hello,

Im currently working on a "lost ABS" casting project and was wondering what how I should do my burnout. I plan on using my kiln but does anyone have any ideas on what temp I should do the burnout on and for how long? I just go my 3d printer and this is my first ABS burn out and if anyone has tips they would be well received.

thanks

When we do it at work we take it all the way up to the phase change of our shell material (1700F). Once the mold is fully up to temp all the plastic will be gone. We make the parts specifically to have a section that can be broken off to help blow the ash out (the sprue being the other end). Then we patch that hole and re-fire and pour.

• Like 1

I have never done any 3D printing but it is something I am looking at getting started in and I am curious about the filament. If you are going to be directly burning out the 3D printed item why did you chose ABS over PLA or something like Moldlay? It seems like those would be easier and cleaner to burn out?

Thanks,

Mark

That brings up a very good point I may have glossed over too quickly: That is what we do for the 3D printed plastics we get in. We don't make them in house and thus I didn't think much about it. Going back and looking at the info in my emails I find that we use "SLA prototypes made with a polycarbonate plastic resin similar to eurathane". I have also handled PLA and it is noticeably denser than the SLA parts we get for casting. I had a potential vendor that was pretty confident that the PLA he had would be worth trying, but we never got to the stage of trialing it.

Sorry for not catching that on first reading, and thanks for bringing it up Mark!