ÆLFGIFU: “Elf Gift” Dagger

ÆLFGIFU: “Elf Gift”

Blade Length: 8 inches: 1080 Edges, 1095 cable center
Ricasso: 1.75 inches
Handle(Grip): 3.5 inches
Overall: 14.5 inches - 11 oz.

POB: .3 inches from hilt (right at my stamp)

————————

Like the birth of fawn and flower
Spring arrives in its time
The Seasons turn

Like seeds that float to earth
The gift of love befalls
Each of us in time

————————

This is one of those "Historical Fusion" blades which is quickly become my preferred style. This one happens to be inspired by some Bronze Age antenna swords, some Roman knives and of course some level of La Téne Germany. I was pleasantly surprised that it doesn't actually require much material for the spirals to balance the blade out. I originally had enough in there for a full sized sword. I had to reduce the amount three times and it turns out I had over 3 times the amount of material I needed for this style of hilt.

Backstory: I imagine this to be a blade that was gifted to Freya from an Elf that was more than intoxicated with her after she decided to share her love with him for a season. The Elf was inspired by her sleek yet curvy sexiness and love of nature. The handle materials are simple and pure to the earth, copper which the Elf mined from some cave on one of his journeys and cherry wood which he used from a branch without killing the tree all in the spirit of Freya. The Elf commemorated the time that sweet Freya had spent with him by adding a triangle for each night they had spent together (110).

————————

tumblr_o1jbsxd2rc1qz9mvno4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1jbsxd2rc1qz9mvno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1jbsxd2rc1qz9mvno3_1280.jpg

See more pictures on my facebook page: thepxsmith

Edited by Josh A Weston
  • Like 2

Thanks, guys!

Dave - I tried with liver of sulfur (which just seemed to turn it black) and a miracle grow/vinegar mix to add some green patina. I dig get some green patina but rubbed must of it off. It has stayed mostly in the triangles. What I wanted was a deep red, but I just couldn't get that to stick.

Thanks, guys!

Dave - I tried with liver of sulfur (which just seemed to turn it black) and a miracle grow/vinegar mix to add some green patina. I dig get some green patina but rubbed must of it off. It has stayed mostly in the triangles. What I wanted was a deep red, but I just couldn't get that to stick.

If you really want red, the "grilled borax" method is the way to go. Haven't done it myself yet, but it looks quite interesting:

http://sarahboodesigns.blogspot.nl/2014/04/red-copper-oxide-patina.html

However, I much like the copper look here. It looks really well in combination with the rest.

• Like 1

That's a fantastic looking blade! It's been a lot of fun seeing it come together on Facebook over the last weeks! I am glad you went with this design :) The backstory adds a lot, and I think in this case elevates the piece even more! Great work man!

• Like 1

If you really want red, the "grilled borax" method is the way to go. Haven't done it myself yet, but it looks quite interesting:

http://sarahboodesigns.blogspot.nl/2014/04/red-copper-oxide-patina.html

However, I much like the copper look here. It looks really well in combination with the rest.

That is some serious red! I might give this a try at some point. I too like the copper color I got. The orange of it goes with the cherry wood and will eventually darken a little with time.

I am really rather excited to try another antenna pommel. There are "easy enough" to forge and very easy to decorate but they look complicated.

Holy crap that is nice. I thought the blade had wrought in it at first!

I can tell you stole some design ideas from these, which makes it all the more awesome because these are some of my all time favorite swords.
a11962176cf54c198c19e145b34e3949.jpg

damn, that is cool! Plus, no one can ever tell you that you made it wrong.

kc

• Like 1

That's very fun- a great story. :)

I don't know which is better, the knife or the story! Both are very fun indeed.

• Like 1