Something Not My Usual

Something a bit different from what I usually do...

11" blade 1 3/4" wide..deep forged fuller, L-6 and 1095 Electrite steel.."Solar Storm" pattern. Forged phosphor bronze mounts..nice hunk of Red Deer antler for the grip..17" overall length. This is a Big 'un!!

Made as a example piece for book IV.. I think it turned out OK if ya ask me..at least as far as an experimental piece goes.. The curved fuller was a real bugger to do..but Augustus helped ALOT!! Love that guy..so much "feel" and control over the process...

Available on my website shortly..

Hope these pics turn out. So what ya all think??

JPH

DSC02400A.jpg

DSC02403A.jpg

DSC02406A.jpg

• Like 1

I really like the pattern, especially the way it's kind of a negative image of typical Damascus. (Less dark area and more light colored area) It does lend itself well to a fuller. Speaking of that fuller, what size die are you using? I'm going to be making some fuller dies for my press soon and would like a little guidance on sizing & stock.

That has a real "presence", and looks it's lightning swift in the hand! Love the look of both the deep fuller and that steel combination. If that goes up for sale you won't have it long!

Hello:

On the fuller..this was done on a 1/2" dia round (1/4" radius) set that I whipped up using some HSS drill rod for my fly press.

I tell ya, a fly press has a lot more uses for blade making than you would think. On fullers and such you can actually feel the steel move as you press..very good control and you usually don't have to worry about pressing through the bottom of the fuller either!!

JPH

DSC02575A.jpg

DSC02580A.jpg

Different , and I like different ! First class job sir , love that blade .

Jim, that is one of my favorite of the non-sword things I have ever seen from you. I love the complex grind and the deep fuller. It looks wicked.

kc

Hello:

On the fuller..this was done on a 1/2" dia round (1/4" radius) set that I whipped up using some HSS drill rod for my fly press.

I tell ya, a fly press has a lot more uses for blade making than you would think. On fullers and such you can actually feel the steel move as you press..very good control and you usually don't have to worry about pressing through the bottom of the fuller either!!

JPH

Thank you Jim! You just gave me the easy solution to making fly press dies that I've been looking for!