Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

On 8/31/2018 at 9:04 PM, Joshua States said:

@Gerhard I am loving those colors. What is that?

Homebrew micarta, the dark green is wool cloth, the neon green is a synthetic......and the blue is denim thickness but not denim....no real idea :D

• Like 1

First taste of this years maple syrup wine!20180913_210611.jpg

It's a little on the sweet side, but not too bad overall.

managed to put up 3 new LED lights in the workshop. now i can see what im doing :D

also acquired a drill press. small little guy, but a massive improvement to everything i do

IMG_20180830_180331[1].jpg

Edited by Ross Vosloo

10 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

First taste of this years maple syrup wine!20180913_210611.jpg

It's a little on the sweet side, but not too bad overall.

Tell me more of this maple syrup wine you speak of....  is it traditional?  How is it made?  Inquiring minds (and their wives who love anything maple) want to know!

I didn't know dandelion would make for good wine :) or spirits for that matter , could make for an interesting experiment

Definitely not traditional.  I started playing around with it a few years ago when I was attempting to "condense" some maple syrup into vodka.  The vodka didn't work out well, (with limited free time I need to pick my hobbies and being good at "condensing" alcohol bearing liquid is an art form that I'm not willing to dedicate the time to mastering) but I found that I somewhat enjoyed the taste of the pre-finished product.  Ever since then I mix up a batch or two each year with different syrup/water concentrations and different yeasts in an effort to refine the finished product.

As far as a process goes, I'm a pretty simple guy.  Syrup, water, and yeast, mix, and let sit with a bubbler.  I started this batch back in April/May and honestly forgot about it until I found it while I was cleaning the barn last weekend.  This batch was 1.75 gallons of syrup to 3.25 gallons of water, with a turbo distilling yeast.  I have yet to open the other bucket, but it was made with the same syrup/water ratio and a champagne yeast.  I'm somewhat eager to see what the difference in flavor will be between the two.

I wouldn't say that it's "good" wine, and I'm sure a sommelier would probably puke if he drank some, but I like it well enough and it makes your head spin after a glass or two.  Besides, we usually have more syrup than we know what to do with every year so it's kind of fun to play around with it.  I'm going to cut the ratio back to 1.25/3.75 on the next batch and see if I can dry it out a little bit.

Thanks!  If the turbo yeast didn't dry it I don't know what would.  Although turbo is also known for producing off-flavors in stuff that isn't triple-distilled.  I think the champagne yeast ought to taste better.  It will go up to around 16% ABV (as opposed to 20% for the turbo), so it won't be dry at that ratio.  I like the flavor profile of Red Star Montrachet yeast (now renamed something like "classic cru" for no apparent reason), and it'll go to 14% easy.  

Of course, down here we don't have a lot of maple syrup for cheap.  A gallon would run me in the $60-120 range...:ph34r:  I only have one sugar maple tree, so making it in quantity is not an option.  But I bet I can brew up a wicked gallon of wine (or hooch, anyway) from a couple pints of syrup in a gallon of water...ooh, I bet a mead yeast would do extra good!  For that matter, I bet a blend of sourwood honey and maple syrup would make a killer brew, probably in every sense of the word given my experience with meads! :lol:

32 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

For that matter, I bet a blend of sourwood honey and maple syrup would make a killer brew, probably in every sense of the word given my experience with meads! :lol:

That would definitely do it! Mead and I have had a couple of long nights together.

I tried the turbo yeast on this batch to see how high I could get the alcohol content.  I don't think that it was worth the trade off in flavors.  I'll give that Red Star yeast a try on the next batch and see how it comes out.  I really should start doing 1 gallon batches instead of 5.  At the rate I'm going it'll take me 20 years to get a recipe that I'm really happy with. :D

Thanks for reminding me of home hooch, the Elder berrys are in full  ripeness now and I

love to make cordials out of it..........................B)

Wheew!  I just tried the other batch.  I don't think my tastebuds will forgive me for a while!:wacko::blink:

Anybody need 5 gallons of maple vinegar?:lol:

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, Alex Middleton said:

Wheew!  I just tried the other batch.  I don't think my tastebuds will forgive me for a while!:wacko::blink:

Anybody need 5 gallons of maple vinegar?:lol:

Try using it to etch a hamon and see how well it works? 

It wasn't today, it was yesyerday, but I got some forging done! I had to wait until after 5 PM so the shop had started to cool down (it was 111*F in there).

Started forging (3).JPG

That's two San-mai kitchen knives with the initial tapers put in.

Started forging (1).JPG

And two pieces of 1 inch O-1 drill rod forged down to 1'x3/8" flat bars.

Started forging (2).JPG