Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Started tearing apart my shop in an effort to get things cleaned up and better organized. 

anCPSnueSlub3y1OXDvClw.jpg

hmmm, my shop at it's best isn't as clean looking as yours when yours is torn apart.

I need to join slobaholics anonymous...

24 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

hmmm, my shop at it's best isn't as clean looking as yours when yours is torn apart.

Lol. I figured I needed to do something when I realized that the only open real estate on my workbench was about 25 square inches. It was getting cramped trying to actually do any work on it.

Since I'm building a second bench, do you all have any suggestions on a good way to organize things? I was thinking using one bench specifically for all things abrasive-related: sanding, filing, etc. And everything else on the other bench. How do you folks arrange your workspaces?

I have a 4x8 foot metal welding table where i do a lot of work that doesn't require too much precision, and another wood workbench where the precise stuff gets done, when it is not covered in assorted hardware. The big metal table has been covered in tools and assorted projects up until recently, when i started cleaning and putting things away, as well as finishing some of the projects. I have 40x40 stuff in a 24x24 space......PS lest you get the wrong idea that i am a neat freak, the pic of the wood bench is just after it was made; it doesn't look this bare right now :)

JPG00132.JPG

DSCN0152.JPG

Edited by SteveShimanek

This is pretty clean after a major overhaul, and putting tools away.

JPG00031 2.JPG

That would be called "spotless and empty" in my excuse for a shop. :lol:

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2018 at 9:34 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

Hmmm yes, after that post I'll never show my "shop" :lol:

I was invited to dinner by my mentor who was passing through town, so instead of heat treating blades I took two strips of light brown Linen and made a roll of micarta for the first time.

Sawed off the ends this morning before work and it looks like a success!

On 9/28/2018 at 1:01 PM, jheinen said:

Since I'm building a second bench, do you all have any suggestions on a good way to organize things? I was thinking using one bench specifically for all things abrasive-related: sanding, filing, etc. And everything else on the other bench. How do you folks arrange your workspaces?

In this last shop set up, I decided to organize the space into smaller work stations for specific types of work. I did not post anything in this forum, but I did post some pics in the ABS forum.

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ipboard/index.php?/topic/3283-shop-design/page__pid__22966__st__0&#entry22966

I got to test run my metal dust collector today. The Thien Baffle I built seems to be working alright at least it seemed that the dust collected in the bottom of the machine rather than being blown out:

IMG_20181006_154345.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, nprovos said:

I got to test run my metal dust collector today.

One of these days I have to get one of those dust collector thingys……..

I wanted to clean out the water bucket that stands at my grinder the other day, felt something strange at the bottom and I was stunned by the mass of metal shavings living down there.....

My beard and my dust mask aren't gelling at the moment, from the black snot I assume some of that is ending up in my lungs.....

Latest WIP. Copper guard is fitted, and I milled the African Blackwood flat in preparation for fitting the handle. It's the first time I used copper, and that stuff is a pain to work with. Any suggestions on how to keep it shiny?

fullsizeoutput_10e0.jpeg

• Like 1

Jewelry lacquer is the only way I know to keep copper shiny, other than frequent polishing.  People use it because they like the inevitable brown patina it gets.

Some new ones in the works.  First attempt at longer work.  Made of recycled spring steel rolled down to around 1/8 inch.  Might have to build a heat treating forge for these ones.   Gonna keep these ones more primal,  StormCrow style.  I'm calling them machete's.

Swords.jpg
      Edited by Bruno

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, jheinen said:

Any suggestions on how to keep it shiny?

Encase it in clear plastic...……:unsure:

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:35 PM, Alan Longmire said:

Jewelry lacquer is the only way I know to keep copper shiny, other than frequent polishing.  People use it because they like the inevitable brown patina it gets.

You can also force the patinas with a variety of products and homemade brews.  Basically copper tarnishes and patinas very quickly. Keeping it shiny is constant change. Nice looking blade BTW.

Edited by Joshua States

On 10/10/2018 at 6:45 PM, Joshua States said:

Encase it in clear plastic...……:unsure:

You can also force the patinas with a variety of products and homemade brews.  Basically copper tarnishes and patinas very quickly. Keeping it shiny is constant change. Nice looking blade BTW.

Thank you!  I suppose I will see how it patinas over time. I did try some silver black on a test piece, and it instantly turned black. Not the brownish color it’s picking up just sitting in the air. 

Bought a hunk of 50mmx10mm brass bar for the bolster and butt on my Dad's knife......and spent about my rent money on 1x72 and 2x72 belts, 12 each 36 grit ceramic.

....like there's no tomorrow! :D

I got some quality time in on gas welding the hole and cracks in the spindle recess on my mower deck.

Not a blade per say but will be a part of the process,

I am making 6 more quick change  tool holders for my lathe to make tool changes easier

and more efficient, the new to me milling machine is opening up many more options to make stuff..................

Edited by Clifford Brewer

After the better part of a month I got some steel yesterday. Profiled this blade out before I lost the sun.

I took the cord wrap off the chopper to give it a longer temper...and reshape the handle.

It feels good in the hand with out the cord.....but with it wants to make  your/my index finger rub the heel of the blade.

Its at 36 grit there....gonna take it down to a trizac a 30.

I bought I believe it was called a rotary file for inside radius's last night.

I have a few carbide burrs that work great before the quench.....but struggle with hardened metal.

EDIT; Got the bolsters on....scales coming today.

Was able to profile and grind one side of my new edc blade

1084.jpg

1084-2.jpg

EDC.jpg

Edited by Kreg
      added pic

It’s not a knife but I finally got the table top added still not 100% but it will hold the work piece

image.thumb.jpg.63d8ff8937a8c90cc19549e2a4e905c1.jpg

Edited by AndyB
      • Like 1