Jump to content
Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Recommended Posts

Looks like it will work Andy. Are you planning to fill the bottom with some sort of clay or dirt to create a bowl shape or add a coal bin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short answer: not much

I've had a funny problem about the last 5 years, right about now as the summer arrives full blast it only takes over exerting and sweating a bit much, and my back muscles start cramping.

Sometimes they go into spasms, then I have 2 weeks of pain after that.  I seems to be due to dehydration, just not sure why it hits my back specifically.

So Sunday I was sanding a handle, we had some rain so it was humid and I was sweating like a pig.......Monday the cramps started.

Went to the doc and got muscle relaxant and some pain pills, took them the last time Wednesday evening.

I was sanding 2 blades last night, hands feel weak and I struggle to hold on to the sandpaper.... :huh:

Went to do some clean-up on the belt grinder and properly messed up the one blade....:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

new lean to roof up, with the aid of my amazing wife. good news is its already survived its first storm

20181013_171311[1].jpg

20181013_170517[1].jpg

Edited by Ross Vosloo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ross Vosloo I'm guessing you have patient neigbours....just like me! :lol:

Well done!

No cash..........but hopefully no cholera either :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Short answer: not much

I've had a funny problem about the last 5 years, right about now as the summer arrives full blast it only takes over exerting and sweating a bit much, and my back muscles start cramping.

Sometimes they go into spasms, then I have 2 weeks of pain after that.  I seems to be due to dehydration, just not sure why it hits my back specifically.

So Sunday I was sanding a handle, we had some rain so it was humid and I was sweating like a pig.......Monday the cramps started.

Went to the doc and got muscle relaxant and some pain pills, took them the last time Wednesday evening.

I was sanding 2 blades last night, hands feel weak and I struggle to hold on to the sandpaper.... :huh:

Went to do some clean-up on the belt grinder and properly messed up the one blade....:(

I'm not an expert, but part of your problem could be a potassium deficiency.  I struggled for years with muscle cramps in my chest, abdomen, and legs.  A friend suggested I take potassium, and as soon as I did the cramps stopped, along with much of the soreness in my joints.  I take a tablet when I go to bed and another when I get up in the morning and I can tell if I missed taking it... If I know I'm going to be doing a lot of sweating that day I'll double the dose.  It is possible to take too much, but it takes quite a lot, you'd have to eat them like candy to get near the danger zone.  Anyway, it helped me immensely and might help you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a bit of fun working on my tongs...

1026181035a.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@GEzell whenever I get advice like that I always google "best natural sources for x"  I've been eating a lot of Avo and spinach lately, I'll look into something more direct.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sanded out mistakes and got 4 blades ready for heat treat Saturday.

Lit the forge about 6pm, and as soon as it was burning I noticed there was a hole burnt into the side of the tube that holds the blades......

Lifting that out of the forge red-hot to patch the hole was almost as much fun as getting it back...

I'm starting to get orders, but I realized on Saturday I need to finish what I'm busy with and get my shop in order....

My drill press is standing lopsided on an old kitchen counter since forever, long-awaited belt grinder on same said counter with piece of pallet wood under it for spacers......and a buffer mounted at an even weirder  angle.

I'm sharing the space with a hoarder, I can't clean, and it needs to stop now.....

 

On Sunday I etched one of the blades to see the hamon....none. :(

In my head I was already composing the question for here......."what possible steels in modern files", but fortunately I sanded a bit and etched again and found both hamons B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished a couple kitchen blades. The one is just taken to a trizac a30...the other is down to 400 grit.

Sander/grinder finally showed up. Its a touchy mofo....didnt think I was ever gonna get it to track for a bit.

Ended up picking up a new/used kitchen table....got the top sanded now need to do the sides and chairs.

griz.jpg

nina.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned the hard way that using the structured type belts with a platen that's not perfectly flat will form horizontal grooves on the blade. No more belt finish until I put a ceramic liner on my platen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:16 AM, Gerhard said:

I'm guessing you have patient neigbours....just like me! :lol:

Something about the razor wire along the top of that wall tells me the neighbors aren't friendly......

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, AndyB said:

Had a bit of fun working on my tongs...

That coal forge looks like it works well. Good one.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, Joël Mercier said:

No more belt finish until I put a ceramic liner on my platen!

I put a ceramic platen on my grinder about a year ago. Highly recommend it. Just remember to weld a stop-shelf along the bottom edge of the steel platen to hold the ceramic one in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joshua States said:

That coal forge looks like it works well. Good one.

It works a little too well almost.  I’m surprised that I haven’t melted the cast iron drum yet.  I’ve already had the fire at welding temps several times already no cracks or broken welds yet.  Only one bent stand leg but that’s not because of the forge heat lol.  At least I don’t think it is anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Something about the razor wire along the top of that wall tells me the neighbors aren't friendly......

 

welcome to Africa! ;)

in all truthfulness, its not that scary here. yes theres crime, but its mostly petty crime and robbery. violent crime rates are pretty low here, probably because if they get caught, the police only start asking questions after all your bones are broken :wacko:

but any con of living here is way out weighed by the pros. razor wire and electric fences are just par for the course, deterrents as it were 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Something about the razor wire along the top of that wall tells me the neighbors aren't friendly......

Razor wire, electric fencing, high walls, alarms and armed response.

Two different southern african countries, same prisons we have to build to try and stay safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we're not in South Africa.....considerably more deadly.

I live in a nation of thieves, and drunken stabbing with anything from broken bottles, screwdrivers to Okapis is like a national sport.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something for the anti-reclaimed steel brigade....

I got a message 9pm last night, I couldn't figure out the text but the photos were clear - snapped blade!

The knife is from a big old circular saw blade that hard a very hard life cutting local hardwoods.....I was gifted one half of it and it's extremely pitted and cracked in several places.

I heat treated the blade for a friend on Saturday, so of course I immediately phoned because for me there was just one question....grain size.  Turns out it was very fine.

I didn't have time to post the photo this morning, but the crack in the spine of the blade is very obvious in the break.

He was spitting mad, I was chuffed with the grain size :D

How I intend to use that half a blade, if ever, has also changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ross Vosloo said:

Something about the razor wire

Razor wire is NO JOKE either.  Wear gloves lol that's a must.  That stuff yea if you get caught in that you are done.  Not well dead done but you will be cut up pretty badly.  Not to mention it will wrap around the individual trying to get out of it.  Not necessarily a bad security measure to have lol.  I have lots of experience with that stuff on the attacking side and defending side lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AndyB said:

Razor wire is NO JOKE either.  Wear gloves lol that's a must.  That stuff yea if you get caught in that you are done.  Not well dead done but you will be cut up pretty badly.  Not to mention it will wrap around the individual trying to get out of it.  Not necessarily a bad security measure to have lol.  I have lots of experience with that stuff on the attacking side and defending side lol.  

yeah, got some pretty nice cuts on my face from it, thankfully nothing scarred too bad. when we first looked at the house, which had been unlived in fro some time, the owner opened the gate for us, but the razor wire caught on an over hanging tree. in trying to help free it up, a whole section came down and hit me across my face. if i hadnt been wearing my sun glasses, i hate to think of what the real damage would have been 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ross Vosloo said:

yeah, got some pretty nice cuts on my face from it, thankfully nothing scarred too bad. when we first looked at the house, which had been unlived in fro some time, the owner opened the gate for us, but the razor wire caught on an over hanging tree. in trying to help free it up, a whole section came down and hit me across my face. if i hadnt been wearing my sun glasses, i hate to think of what the real damage would have been 

Yea it's not pretty.  Boot camp I watch a guy try to go AWOL lol get tied up in the razor wire at full running speed.  Not pretty.  But yea if you have thick wool gloves though you should be good. Or even better thick leather gloves are better suited.  But wool works as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a lucky break:

almost screwed.jpg

That's in a nearly new Michelin, and the warranty and road hazard plan does not cover sidewall punctures.  Had to grab it with vice-grips and unscrew it, it wouldn't just pull out even though it was just barely under the surface of the rubber.  :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never seen something like this in 13 years of career. It's your lucky day indeed! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My riding mower frame broke in HALF yesterday while mowing; the frame is constructed of light gauge steel and has numerous perforations for hardware, metal fatigue is the likely culprit. I managed to get it back into the shop and started disassembling and welding up the frame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I got a lucky break:

almost screwed.jpg

That's in a nearly new Michelin, and the warranty and road hazard plan does not cover sidewall punctures.  Had to grab it with vice-grips and unscrew it, it wouldn't just pull out even though it was just barely under the surface of the rubber.  :blink:

Back in 90 in the logging equipment and truck shop I worked at we pulled a LIVE .270 cartridge out of a truck tire

how it didn't discharge while rolling on a rocked road all day let alone when it got pushed in is baffling .....................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I got a lucky break:

almost screwed.jpg

That's in a nearly new Michelin, and the warranty and road hazard plan does not cover sidewall punctures.  Had to grab it with vice-grips and unscrew it, it wouldn't just pull out even though it was just barely under the surface of the rubber.  :blink:

Yikes.  What rotten luck to have that happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well sense you brought up tires.

This is what I've been riding on.

Resized_20181101_184309.jpeg

It's time for new.Resized_20181101_184330.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×