Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Theoretically it can be Rc 65 at the quench, but my shop works on fact and subpar equipment rather than theory. :lol:  

That's fair. Some day I'm going to buy hardness chisels from Parkinson to quit guessing hardness.

All set up no rain in sight yep today the forge is definitely getting lit.  I've already got it set up about 10 am I'll be firing it up.  Finishing off the tang and some straightening of the blade and then a normalizing cycle and then it's on to the grinder.

Got my main anvil and my belt grinder to the new house today. Tomorrow I'm putting the new 5 inch drive wheel on the grinder and see how much faster it will run. The original wheel I had on it was only a 2.25 inch. Now i have to figure out how to get my power hammer here 

Resized_20181230_204857(1).jpeg

Resized_20181230_204926.jpeg

I like that wood on your walls. Well seasoned.

That looks like a homemade belt grinder. I've been wondering, how do you track the belts on these type grinders.

And, what's your motor speed?

• Like 1

The motor is a 3450 rpm 1.5 hp that was the motor on a John Deer electric pressure washer. The wheels are Oregon blade maker lightning wheels. I haven't made a table for it yet so everything is done freehand. I want to get some large contact wheels for it. Here is a couple pictures of how the belt tensioner works and the tracking mechanism I made for it.

Resized_20181231_122323.jpeg

Resized_20181231_122347.jpeg

I like it. Do you have a way to vary the speed of the motor? That thing's going to be screaming with the 5" drive wheel.

10 minutes ago, Randy Griffin said:

I like it. Do you have a way to vary the speed of the motor? That thing's going to be screaming with the 5" drive wheel.

No it's going to be all out. The only way I can change speed is by putting the smaller drive wheel on it.

You're running at 2032 ft/min with the 2.25" wheel. you will be running at 4516 ft/min with the 5". They should be fine but keep an eye on the bearings in the other wheels. They will be running around 7000 rpm.

• Thanks 1

Just finished off the forging on the second knife.  So now it's time to take it to the belt sander yes I did normalize it.  Its out cooling down right now.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Man what a difference this makes. 

Resized_20181231_132512(1).jpeg

Resized_20181231_132427.jpeg

I still gotta get one lol I don't trust myself to make one.

Picked up some oxygen and acetylene for my new torch today. It was WAY more expensive than I thought it would be - just North of $500. At least from now on I can just exchange the bottles.

121000617_ARJIVAgQWu9N6dTtgTcRw.jpg

7 hours ago, jheinen said:

Picked up some oxygen and acetylene for my new torch today. It was WAY more expensive than I thought it would be - just North of $500. At least from now on I can just exchange the bottles.

The day Jeff realized he has taken up a poor man's hobby...….

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Joshua States said:

The day Jeff realized he has taken up a poor man's hobby...….

He could have gotten a smaller set for a cheaper price lol.  Oxy and Accetalyne bottles are not cheap by any means.

The torch and regulators are the spendy bits, but they last pretty much forever.  I got mine (and the bottles) for around $400 twenty years ago, and cylinder exchange is only around $40.

I finished that 52100 petty chef:

20190101_133739-1.jpg

20190101_133912.jpg

Olive wood scales.

• Like 1

I set myself to forging a dagger out of some of that Don Hanson W-2 I got a while back.

As forged.

Dagger (1) V2.jpg

Next to the template/pattern I was trying to achieve.

Dagger (2) V2.jpg

52 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Don Hanson W-2

Is this the guy who had the spec sheets from a foundry and made his own w2

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Is this the guy who had the spec sheets from a foundry and made his own w2

If you are referring to this, that was Ray Rybar. I still have some of that W-2. This material was from this stock.

• Like 1

So far I've been pleased with Aldo's W2. I'm giving it another shot soon for a kitchen knife order with requested hamon. 

2018 tried to kick my arse since middle August....almost won.

I had orders and plans, orders were delayed due to changed travel plans, and the drive wheel of my new grinder is wrong fit for the motor.

I shaped one of the prettiest handles I've ever done, and I messed it up.

It's been a week, and I've done sweet nothing.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gerhard said:

2018 tried to kick my arse since middle August....almost won.

I had orders and plans, orders were delayed due to changed travel plans, and the drive wheel of my new grinder is wrong fit for the motor.

I shaped one of the prettiest handles I've ever done, and I messed it up.

It's been a week, and I've done sweet nothing.

https://youtu.be/uepFO4psgKE

Edited by Joshua States
  • Haha 1

I dunno if Id even be willing to try W2 yet.  I don't know how to properly heat treat for that steel.  Someday soon I'll get there but right now W2 is out of the question lol  I'm still learning the 1075/1080.

20 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

I dunno if Id even be willing to try W2 yet.  I don't know how to properly heat treat for that steel.  Someday soon I'll get there but right now W2 is out of the question lol  I'm still learning the 1075/1080.

You can't learn unless you try.

http://www.cashenblades.com/steel/w2.html

That should help answer your question.

2 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

You can't learn unless you try.

http://www.cashenblades.com/steel/w2.html

That should help answer your question.

That is very true.  Eventually I'll get there but at the moment I am not ready for it yet.