Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

8 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

I got my order of files from Production Tool today.  What a difference quality tools make over the Harbor Freight junk I had before.  Instead of taking hours to flatten out imperfections from the grinder using hard backed sandpaper, 10 minutes drawfiling with a 14" bastard and everything is flat and true.  Talk about a game changer!

What ones did you get?

I got 8 Simonds files, in a range of sizes and cuts from the 14" flat bastard to a 6" half round fine cut.  I didnt get everything I wanted, but hopefully enough to cover most everything for now.  I also bought a cheaper 12 pc. set of bastard cut needle files.  Someday I'll get a good set of Swiss pattern files, but holy hell can they get expensive.  At least these ones are straight and have all of the teeth on them.  That's more than I can say for the ones from HF! Lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

I got 8 Simonds files, in a range of sizes and cuts from the 14" flat bastard to a 6" half round fine cut.  I didnt get everything I wanted, but hopefully enough to cover most everything for now.  I also bought a cheaper 12 pc. set of bastard cut needle files.  Someday I'll get a good set of Swiss pattern files, but holy hell can they get expensive.  At least these ones are straight and have all of the teeth on them.  That's more than I can say for the ones from HF! Lol

I find the more use files the more I like them. Especially when there good quality files

3 minutes ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

I find the more use files the more I like them. Especially when there good quality files

How are they, I’ve been looking for good files.  I already broke one file from my harbor freight set in half on an unrelated project.

So far I'm happy with them.  Time will tell as to how well they hold up.  The nice thing about ordering from a place like PTS is the large selection of profiles and cuts and being able to order exactly what you want without having to buy an entire set.  Plus, now that i have an account setup, I can have my orders set for in store pickup and I can swing by the local store on my way home from work.  No shipping costs!

I have to say, even though Alan has posted countless times about the benefits of drawfiling, I was still surprised at how quickly i was able to even out my inadequacies from the belt grinder.  I easily saved myself 2-3 hours of tedious hand sanding.

Actually last Friday, finished installing the VFD's in a cabinet:
IMG-20190109-180548-1.jpg

IMG-20190111-173811-1.jpg

IMG-20190111-173839-1.jpg

IMG-20190111-194439-1.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

I got my order of files from Production Tool today.  What a difference quality tools make over the Harbor Freight junk I had before.  Instead of taking hours to flatten out imperfections from the grinder using hard backed sandpaper, 10 minutes drawfiling with a 14" bastard and everything is flat and true.  Talk about a game changer!

That's what I keep telling people!  :D

I bought a large mill bastard Simonds file from Amazon to figure out it was made in china. Thought i'd warn you guys. 

Can't you return it?  The ease of returns is one of the reasons I use Amazon. 

Edited by Gerald Boggs

I decided to give it a try... 

I was precisely cut but I'm afraid the durability is average. 

I was somewhat disappointed to see that mine are made in China as well.  Over the years I've learned that being made in China does not automatically mean that it is crap, just as being made in the USA doesn't automatically mean it's high quality.  It has more to do with the quality standards of the company than geography.  I'll give them a fair shake and see what happens.

Has anyone tried Bahco files?

Just now, Randy Griffin said:

JJ uses Bahco and loves them it seems. 

So far so good, this morning I ran down to my local coal supplier luckily for me they literally had 1 bag of coal left in their stock and I was there early enough to buy their last bag.  So looks like I wont get coal for a couple of weeks again.  Dag nab it.  I fired up the break drum forge this morning when I got home from picking up the coal, I finished forging out the flat bar so that it would fit my hardy hole on my anvil.  Which was quite easily done, I also cut two small pieces to length on the band saw.  I then got what I had left of my 3/8ths inch round stock mild steel and started forging out my Spring fuller.  I think I might have made it a bit too narrow but I should easily be able to go and correct that hopefully.  I also got back on the band saw and hacked up my splitting maul wedge and cut it down to size and got my hot cutter sorted.  I re lit the forge and tested the hot cutter out after I got it welded up.  I am fully satisfied with the hot cutter.  I have yet to test out the spring fuller.  I do have a new shipment of 1075 1080 should be on the way and here in a few days.  I'm happy with what I've made so far.

IMG_20190116_102857451.jpg

IMG_20190116_102000904.jpg

I'll try them when my old USA Nicholsons and Simonds wear out and I can't get NOS on Ebay.  I've heard good things about both Bahco and Pferd.  Bahco used to be Sandvik when they were made in Sweden, now they're made in Portugal.  Pferd are German, or at least used to be.

2 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Bummer that Simonds went offshore. Stupid MBAs.

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

I also got back on the band saw and hacked up my splitting maul wedge and cut it down to size and got my hot cutter sorted. 

I considered making a hot cut out of a splitting wedge once, but went another direction.  I'll be curious to see how it works out for you.

One thing, since you are kind of new at this, in case nobody has told you yet, never leave the hotcut in the hardy hole while you are forging on the other end of the anvil.  That can result in removal of your fingers...

17 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I considered making a hot cut out of a splitting wedge once, but went another direction.  I'll be curious to see how it works out for you.

One thing, since you are kind of new at this, in case nobody has told you yet, never leave the hotcut in the hardy hole while you are forging on the other end of the anvil.  That can result in removal of your fingers...

Yea I took it out of the anvil once I was done using it and set it aside to cool down.  I'm pretty safety cautious about things which is why I never really got into the propane fueled forges.  A bit risky for me at this point lol.  I did test it out this morning it works quite well.  The only thing you have to deal with is the paint burning off.  It's a fairly cheap alternative.

Edited by AndrewB

So today N$300 worth of Pherd files and some sweat fixed up what I couldn't do with N$20,000 worth of belt grinders.

Not saying don't get the belt grinders, I would be in hospital without those 36 grit ceramics........

Those 3 are the start of a file collection....as soon as one pisses me off it becomes a knife :DB)

IMG_20190116_161554.jpg

IMG_20190117_141152.jpg

IMG_20190117_160005.jpg

IMG_20190117_160034.jpg

IMG_20190117_160910.jpg

IMG_20190117_160918.jpg

• Like 1

Nice looking cleaver.  Yea I agree with you on the grits I haven’t tried out a 36 grit but an 80 man that’s rough.  It just spits metal at you.  I usually do all of my heavy grinding with 50 grit and then slowly move up in grit numbers.

2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Nice one Gerhard! OK I'm getting some new files!

I have spent the last two days in someone else's shop.

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/38426-falchion-class-in-phoenix-az/

I saw that......very cool!B)

Dismantled the break drum forge and did a test set up of the new one.  

C5C3AD28-5E43-4D78-94ED-CE4CBF26F20E.jpeg

F7156BE2-B577-4E6A-9848-AFC2A9544D0B.jpeg

Got the forge and everything set up but by the time I got done welding a second billet together for a second attempt at forge welding, low and behold it started raining on me.  So much for forging today guess the weather didn't want me to light a fire.  Gah.  Danged Washington State.  Oh well at least tomorrow is supposed to be nicer so far I have one billet of scrap 1075 1080 again I'm going to attempt to weld them together maybe I'll have a bit more success with the different forge.

• Sad 1

Lots of talk on Bowie knives lately and wanted to make a big one to get out of my comfort zone a bit. 

I usually use known steels but every once in a while I'm given some chunk steel by someone and I like to use it if I'm fairly certain what it is. A local knifemaker had given me some large roller bearings a while back. Looked like a nice chunk to make a big bowie out of. Fired up the big forge to bring it down to 3/8 x 1.5" flat bar. I finished my last forging heat and layed it on the anvil. Was going to actually forge the bowie tomorrow in the smaller forge.

I often do some normalizing in my heat treat oven. 

As the bar was laying on the anvil, it was making a ringing sound and shooting scale off of it for probably 15-20 minutes. Ground some of the scale off and checked the hardness once it finished... It was about 58 HRC

Set the oven to 1625 for first normalizing. Kept peeking in as it was heating up. Never saw the decalescence. Could have missed it. 

It didn't pop as it was cooling this time but not sure it actually hit austenizing temperature. At the very least, it's tempered way back so taking a break for now. Going to do some HT experiments tomorrow and see if I can narrow it down.

Anybody know of any steels other than 52100 that they would make these bearings from or does this sound like something 52100 would do? The bar was 3/8 x 1.5 x 16 when I was finished reducing it.

This is the rusty roller bearing before

20190119_130008-1612x1209.jpg

And after... 

20190119_140229-1612x1209.jpg

Edited by Cody Killgore

52100 does that, yes.  It also air hardens a bit if it's thin.