Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Agree with Jeremy, a conveyor shaft. Probably 1 15/16" which is a little more common than 2".

Alan, be careful with that cylinder rod. Most are chromed.

36 minutes ago, Randy Griffin said:

Agree with Jeremy, a conveyor shaft. Probably 1 15/16" which is a little more common than 2".

Alan, be careful with that cylinder rod. Most are chromed.

That's why it's still in the pile.  If I ever do anything with it it'll get ground clean of any plating first, but most likely it will stay right where it is.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, jake cleland said:

Yeah. The crash was nearly 5 years ago now, but there was quite extensive nerve damage, which means it hurts all the time, but also most of the autonomic movement has stopped, so I lose muscle tone incredibly quickly when I'm not working it, and when I do work it enough to get the muscle back it messes with the fine motor control in my hand - it's not ideal for going back and forth between heavy forging and carving...

That sucks. :(

19 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That sucks. :(

Yeah. Seriously. Big time sucketh action. However, it also sounds like a perfect reason to purchase a power hammer.......

So much for forging today lmfao it’s Snowmageddon here lol.  Guess I need to break out my shovel.

6214D1CB-56E2-4D9D-94E6-BFC5E8CC5D3F.jpeg

25 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

So much for forging today lmfao it’s Snowmageddon here lol.  Guess I need to break out my shovel.

I kinda miss the days as a kid where we got snowed in and couldn't go anywhere. I remember having a sleepover at a friends house and being snowed in for several days before the plows showed up.

Doesn't happen anymore. We got 20 inches the other night and I still had to get up and drive to work (the roads were clear). I was shocked the kids actually got a 2 hour delay start, usually it takes closer to 3 feet to get the school administrators to even consider it. In their defense, the Road department always has the roads clear before I get out of bed.

Yea we are having one of those 50 year snow storms at the moment lol.  I kinda miss being a kid.  I don't care much for snow anymore though lol.  Just because people act kinda dumb on the road when it happens here lol.  Anyone who lives in my state can tell ya that lol.  But nah it's a rarity that we even get this much snow too lol.  I'm hoping my trailer park gets plowed on Monday at least maybe I'll get to forge on Sunday lol.

48 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

6214D1CB-56E2-4D9D-94E6-BFC5E8CC5D3F.jpeg

Did you forge your shovel?

Nope

Edited by AndrewB

Well, at the moment I'm sitting in the San Jose airport waiting to fly home to Seattle. Hoping it doesn't get cancelled, and hoping if I *do* make it that the Uber can get to my house. 

14 minutes ago, jheinen said:

Well, at the moment I'm sitting in the San Jose airport waiting to fly home to Seattle. Hoping it doesn't get cancelled, and hoping if I *do* make it that the Uber can get to my house. 

Yea good luck with that one lol its a mess here.

13 minutes ago, jheinen said:

hoping if I *do* make it that the Uber can get to my house. 

Sounds like a business opportunity. You could call it: Off-Road Lifts

Its been 20 degrees and windy where Im living all week, I tried to do some forging but with the freezing weather and the wind the metal is cold as soon as i get to the anvil.... I hate the winter time.. 

Oh and its supposed to start snowing tonight...Lovely...<_<

6 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

Oh and its supposed to start snowing tonight...Lovely...<_<

LOL :lol::lol::lol:  It's been snowing here since 12 this afternoon not supposed to stop until tomorrow.  Maybe a half a foot of snow before it's all said and done lol.  Its snowing like it rains herre.

Being in Virginia, the temp was in the 70s all week (record highs for February). The week before temps were barely in the teens. Now it's back to bitter cold :( I hope the snow stays away!

Edited by Zeb Camper

I sharpened, or at least attempted to sharpen the two 14C28N steak knives Friday afternoon using my Lansky......the steel won, I resorted to the belt grinder and of course recurved the one blade slightly.....

Saturday was spent on the couch, partially due to a stomach bug that seemingly doesn't want to let go......

Also in a bit of a funk because my knives are not selling. Fortunately the feedback is positive, but the shop where they are on display is mostly frequented by locals, and the economy in general is in the toilette.......no disposable income for handmade knives....

Ran straight into the fact that larger blades are just exponentially more work and my pricing is wrong....and 11 pins are too many most likely :P

.........and I have to find work because a half-day contract and making knives in the afternoons seemingly won't cut it.... 

I've recently added my name to the statistics for those Laid Off from their Day Jobs.  Always amazes me to see how many people any given employer can callously throw aside.  Seems to be an increasing trend around these parts.   I feel for my former co-workers.  It's Unfortunate,   but I can't say it's too disappointing. It's left me some time over the past few weeks to catch up on much needed house/vehicle repairs as well as time to clean out my shop Again. 

So I've taken the opportunity to make a few things  while I still got some fuel left.  Who knows, might even sell one or two, which would be nice once I find a place to sell them :)

I started out with a few railroad spikes I had laying around and made a few bottle openers.   Was real good practice working on the various twists.

Spikes.JPG

4 different twists I've managed.  A regular twist, a rope twist, a cube twist, and a gator twist.   The heads broke off on the smaller ones while I was doing the gator twists.  Broke 4 in a row, it was ridiculous.   I either cut too deep with the hot cut or I twisted too cold.  But I think they came out nice anyway.

SpikesGators.JPG

I also made a couple "Letter Openers" with a cube twist.    I whipped up a batch of Robb Gunter's Super Quench, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.   The letter openers got much sharper than I could have hoped for and cut paper easily.  I did sort through the spikes and only picked the ones with some sort of marking on the head W,C,H,S,V variants.  They seemed to spark better than the others.

SpikesKnifes.JPG\

Had this old Jack Hammer bit and I decided to make a bic out of it for fine horn work,  forgot to take a pic of the finished product, but dang that is some hard steel.   I think it air hardens too,  I broke the top 4 inches or so off by accident.  must have been too cold.  Came out nice though. 

HammerBit.JPG

And finally got this one heat treated today,  sitting in the vinegar as I write.   Had an I idea for a socketed integral D-Gaurd.  Made from a piece of leaf spring thinned out to .147 previously.

BarStart.JPGBarCut.JPG

Started with a pre-drilled hole and a cut, and ended up with this:

ForgedKnife.JPG

ForgedKnifeHandle.JPG

The D-Gaurd is twisted, makes nice little spikes :)    It's not exactly like I wanted it this time around, but it will work.

I welded up the bottom of the D-Gaurd to the socket as well as plugged the socket for drilling/tapping later.

Clay coated for a differential harden,  tempered at 400-425,   torched the spine back to blue.    Planning a 550 cord/leather wrap combo for this one.

ForgedKnife2.JPG

So much more left to do still...

Edited by Bruno
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruno said:

I've recently added my name to the statistics for those Laid Off from their Day Jobs.  Always amazes me to see how many people any given employer can callously throw aside. 

Amen brother, my 3rd retrenchment/redundancy in a row, currently on a half-day/half-pay contract until October and no prospects.

All I can say is thank you again bladesmithsforum.com

Not sure who gave the advice, but white-out as solder block and a brass chisel for cleaning up just saved me hours.

IMG_20190212_152256.jpg

IMG_20190212_152220.jpg

Nothin for me still blocked in, what happens when you don't feel like shoveling out?  But at least some good news is my steel will arrive at some point this morning YIPPY.

IMG_20190211_161143791.jpg

Edited by AndrewB

Took the wife to work yesterday and got home and the truck was steaming from under the hood. Looked under the hood to find this leaking. Then as soon as I touched it later in the morning it snapped off. For such a simple part with a "quick disconnect" it took forever to get it off.

Resized_20190211_065742.jpeg

That would be a radiator hose lol not good

Finished up that knife today.   Kept it simple, just a paracord wrap with some rubber/leather underneath.   I've been practicing battling the old O.C.D.,   and I often tend to spend too much time at the grinder.    I really had to try hard to leave the scale finish on this one.  I ground the primary bevel as a thick hollow grind, then finished with an apple seed edge and clip.   Wicked sharp, and chops good too.   

KnifeFinished.JPG

Also finished up the anvil bic I was working on.  Man this thing was a beast to forge, even with the power hammer.  Just didn't want to move much.   Anyone with any ideas as to what kind of steel it would be?   Was a jackhammer bit I think.   And pretty old as well.  The thing started at over 1 inch thick hex cross section.   It surprised the heck out of me when it cracked almost half way through  at the top when I started forging it. I was using a 6 lb hammer.  I think it was just too cold, but I wonder if it was an existing crack?

Bic2.JPGBic1.JPG

Got a new vehicle yesterday so I spent yesterday at the dealer and a bit in the evening trying to learn how to operate all the little new gadgets that I've got in my new ride.  Subaru Outback Limited.  It's a very nice little car way better than my old one at least.  Today I was trying to get my cell phone paired to it but GAH it's so danged frustrating.  I originally wanted a truck but I am perfectly happy with this vehicle.  Glad I got it.  Sorry the pics a bit dark guys but I took this yesterday.

17609AA9-FDE5-435D-BE97-ADE89E102FFC.thumb.jpeg.8f24b477b5c6f6a23a692d2b58ad7eb6.jpeg