Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Now that's a vise!  :o  Very interesting and imaginative.  Putting the screw outside the moveable jaw is a great idea!

• Thanks 1

Haven't done it yet, but this afternoon I plan on trying to get the tracking straight on my grinder and if I have enough time left over I'm gonna fire up the forge and start forging out a knife, my smithin magcian should be here today as well so I was kind of waiting to fire up the forge so I could try that thing out, I haven't even opened up my package from NJ Steel Baron yet with all of my steel lol.  But all of my belts got here yesterday too so I guess it's also time to start figuring out how in the heck I'm going to do my wall of belts, but I think I've got a plan for that one.

• Like 1

Refined the iron wire bloom I made... Lost most of it to scale. Must be doing something wrong... 20190302_144331.jpg20190302_150322.jpg

Also forged out part of a blade from scrapmascus. Turned out to be a broken back. I'll weld a high carbon bar on the edge. 

I forged that serpent billet into an 8 1/2" broken back seax blade, ground it down to hardening thickness, and gave it a test etch:

serpent seax 1.jpg

serpent seax 4.jpg

serpent seax 3.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Bruno That is 1 hell of a vise right there

Edited by JASON VOLKERT
  • Thanks 1

@jake cleland Those are some cool looking blades

@Cody Killgore That came out real good. What kind of handle material is that

18 hours ago, Cody Killgore said:

It's giraffe bone

That's awesome looking stuff

Well I didn't get to do much since I'm still waiting on some tools to arrive but I at least got my belts hung up on the wall lol.  My smithin magician will be here tomorrow at least and the metal I ordered to make the dyes for it will also be here tomorrow along with some tools.  So hopefully tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow evening I will be able to get to the bottom of the belt sander wobble.  But yea I think I got enough belts to last me a little while at least lol.

IMG_20190303_125443618.jpg

• Like 1

Moved one of my  air compressors to my new house. Tonight I'm going to get the new motor bolted up and I have to see if I have a pulley that will fit the shaft. 

Resized_20190303_182036(1).jpeg

My 16 year-old daughter forged her first blade today. She had to do a cultural immersion project for her Japanese class, so she made a kiridashi. We started off by making a hook so she could practice some hammer work, and then we got into forging the blade. We used 1" X 1/4" 1080. The blade is now in the tempering oven. I'm so proud of her. She did a great job for the first time ever swinging a hammer.

QJG8mEUSTnaWEtlY17HsWw.jpgIMG_0360.JPGIMG_0410.JPG

• Like 3

Very soon lol that kid will have an uncontrollable addiction, that one addiction we all get starting out lol.

Congrats on her interest. Please make sure you contact the school for permission before she shows up with a "weapon".

39 minutes ago, Ron Benson said:

Congrats on her interest. Please make sure you contact the school for permission before she shows up with a "weapon".

Yep, already checked. The school handbook prohibits knives with blades 3" or longer. 

16 hours ago, AndrewB said:

Well I didn't get to do much since I'm still waiting on some tools to arrive but I at least got my belts hung up on the wall lol.  My smithin magician will be here tomorrow at least and the metal I ordered to make the dyes for it will also be here tomorrow along with some tools.  So hopefully tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow evening I will be able to get to the bottom of the belt sander wobble.  But yea I think I got enough belts to last me a little while at least lol.

Do yourself a favor and get some tubing, at least 1-1/2" diameter. It can be steel, cardboard, whatever you can find and slice off 2" long or better sections to hang over those nails. The weight of the belts will cause a sharp bend in the belts and a crease/weak spot (ask me how I know). Then hang the belts over the tubing.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Do yourself a favor and get some tubing, at least 1-1/2" diameter. It can be steel, cardboard, whatever you can find and slice off 2" long or better sections to hang over those nails. The weight of the belts will cause a sharp bend in the belts and a crease/weak spot (ask me how I know). Then hang the belts over the tubing.

I didn't even think about that I'll get some of that today.  I'm gonna grab some of the PVC piping after I get all of my stuff taken care of gotta go down to DOL and get the registration problem fixed with my car lmfao they tried to give me an expiration date on my plates when I have DV plates lol.  I love it when state agencies mess simple things in life up like that.

Edited by AndrewB

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Joshua States said:

The weight of the belts will cause a sharp bend in the belts and a crease/weak spot (ask me how I know)

Id like to hear that story :P 

Edited by Conner Michaux

Posted (edited)

For the past few days, I've been working on a nice woodworking mallet. Its made out of birdseye maple, Once I get some pictures I'll post them.

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Conner Michaux said:

Id like to hear that story :P 

Let's just say it's a good thing I always wear eye protection.

Getting to know my Belt Sander.  Man is this ever fun I'm actually enjoying tinkering with my gadgets.  Currently making the 3/8th inch shim to go into the space I did get longer bolts this morning. Man I can't believe how simple this is.  WOW... Not to mention FUN lol.

IMG_20190306_122304908.jpg

IMG_20190306_122255000.jpg

7 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

I'm actually enjoying tinkering with my gadgets

Haha, If you hadn't noticed yet, this hobby isn't as much about making knives as it is making tools that can be used for knifemaking.

• Like 2

I'm slowly starting to figure that one out lmfao.  At least I'm getting to know my belt sander as well.  Too bad its flippin colder than hell outside and snowing again arrrg.  So I wont be spending much more time outside I'm trying to get this finished up tightened and tested and then I'm comin back in doors lol.  I seriously can't wait until summer time hits.

4 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

Haha, If you hadn't noticed yet, this hobby isn't as much about making knives as it is making tools that can be used for knifemaking.

Ain't that the honest truth!

Today I sanded the second of two commissions to 400 grit and sealed the ironwood with some Danish oil. I also made a video of how I avoid warping a blade in the quench. That will be uploaded to my YouTube channel in the next day or so. I HT'd two blades including this W-2 dagger. Hardened to ~65 HRC, tempered out at ~59 HRC

Clay applied.

Clayed blade (3).jpg

Tempered.

Tempered (2).jpg

• Like 2