Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Pieter:  looks good! 

Stephen: ouch!

my first post in this topic as I get closer to attempting my first stock removal knife. I've been working on getting the shop ready to move woodworking equipment in, and I have made a stand for the 2 x 72 grinder. I have also been moving wood into the shop, (all the tools and the wood have been in a cousin's barn for 25+ years , and I didn't remember what I had). Here are two photos of most of the wood. There are lots of varieties of domestic and imported hardwoods. I don't think I will need to buy any wood for handles for a while...  :rolleyes:

P_20190312_141525_HDR.jpg

P_20190312_141610_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

I fired up my drum forge to heat treat my first sword

Nice for you Pieter! I want to see progress photos on the build...….:)

17 minutes ago, Ron Benson said:

I have also been moving wood into the shop

Nice collection!

Just those two ;) that's enough and quite a handful but fun ^^

The bites though, they hurt :b... You got to be quick, or you will be counting with a finger less

Got some hammer and tong storage set up around my anvil stump. I really need to build a rack because I have a lot of hammers in boxes scattered all over the place.

Resized_20190313_215725.jpeg

Steven, mild steel is fine for tongs, you need to make some ASAP! Or buy some....

Did some heavy duty grinding man I love my 2x72 and I really like the 36 grit belts.  Still got a lot more to do.

36 girt 1.jpg

36 grit 2.jpg

Not today or in the shop, but stayed up late last night trying out some new carving chiseles. Made this eyeball.

20190313_234100.jpg

while I’m waiting for the ferric to get here, I forged out this very ugly herb chopper....well I didn’t completely forge it, I just forged out the tang, and twisted, but that took me long enough...

Not sure how I’m going to file in the bevels, because the tang is in the way, would you even call that a tang???    I might mess with the tang a little bit once I start to normalize it.

D2FF389D-17FE-42B3-88E9-1C74FAB64B89.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

I cleaned up my wood stock and reorganized all of my long handled tools the other day, freeing up some floor space. Yesterday was pretty rainy, so I wired up and secured my big compressor i bought last fall to supply my power hammer project.

One of the best days temp wise to give anything a little wack! 

I had to make a set of tongs, to basically make another set of tongs last week.  Today I have successfully made a set of beveled tongs getting me again just a touch closer to axe making.  I have no idea of what style of tongs these are - but every time I take a class at my crafting school, I grab a similar pair there.   They seemed to also be pretty good at holding sheet metal which I'm always needing in flower making. 

I learned how to make tongs from1x3/8 flat stock, and I've been needing to make more tongs for a while.  Next I'm going to have to make some kind of hammer eye or pick up tongs as I can't just swoop in a grab stuff off the forge floor as easily as I want to. 

20190311_171655.jpg

Needed the box tongs just for this step.  I have tons of little scraps around but never anything to hold it properly. 

20190315_143151.jpg

Nibs forged out. 

20190315_161542.jpg

Some 3/8 stock to weld on for the reins.  I don't like my reins to be any less than 5/16.  This is also mig welded together.  Sorry no forge welds yet. 

20190315_181443.jpg

Everything knocked together adjusted and cleaned up a bit.  Now ready to grab some stuff!  Although, I think I made these last two sets for a lefty somehow - doesn't matter still holds stuff!

Edited by Daniel W
  • Like 1

Should be finishing those cleavers, but yesterday was rough, disappointment followed by anger......time for something else....

@Joshua States Thank you and thank you again......hollow followed by flat, if I had the right glue for my disc this would be a perfect day!

IMG_20190316_094949.jpg

IMG_20190316_095002.jpg

IMG_20190316_111843.jpg

IMG_20190316_111901.jpg

• Like 2

Coffee break, will work 2 more hours, then hopefully a nap.....

When I wake up, some beer-fueled blacksmith's knife forging is the POA.....

......shop Crocs rule....

Started my next, I have completely ran out of steel... I only had this tiny four inch long piece left, so I turned it into a tiny cleaver.

image.jpg

I quenched and tempered my blade.  On the last 25 minutes of tempering cycle now.

IMG_20190316_134106941.jpg

Score of the day. Around 50 files, about 30 in good shape. Some are black diamond. A 4" vise and a mini clamp vise and a barely used craftsman dremel. 100$

IMG_20190317_105514.jpg

Edited by Joël Mercier

Nice, I've got a lot of finish grinding to do today not sure if I should start out at 46 grit or jump into the higher grits right off the bat.  The pH reducer actually got rid of a lot of the scale from the heat treating and quench which was good so it will be much easier to grind down to final.  I've also got a bench top buffer and compound on the way so that will be great for finish polishing of the steel and handle since the buffer I had ordered has two buffing wheels on each side.  So I can use one for metal polishing and one for wood.  Just dinking around with the PC games until its a decent time around here to go out and start running the grinder.

27 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

I usually go from #60 on hardened steel.

60 grit?  Okay, I'll have to see if I have 60 grit belts I think I do have them but I'm not sure exactly.  But I'm pretty sure that I do have 60 grit.  I don't think it should take me that long to grind through to the clean steel with the 60 grit at least.

Put a new carb on a weedwhacker and got it running; pulled off the hydraulic cylinder for my air hammer project and disassembled, cleaned, primed, and reassembled it. I reamed the holes in one end cap to increase the air flow rate. The cylinder was made in Romania and was branded Chief and was painted red originally; i am considering naming the hammer "Big Chief" or some such.

Finished this little 6" chef blade, a present for my mother. She cut herself twice with the heel using one of my knives at home. So I ground this heel angled :lol:. That's the purpose of custom made huh?

Edited by Joël Mercier
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

I usually go from #60 on hardened steel.

Ditto. I HT at 120 grit or 220. 60 is usually the roughest I start at after HT.

4 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Finished this little 6" chef blade, a present for my mother. She cut herself twice with the heel using on of my knives at home. So I ground this heel angled :lol:. That's the purpose of custom made huh?

Hey! You have a YouTube channel! Now you have a subscriber too! Nice looking little knife.

11 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Hey! You have a YouTube channel! Now you have a subscriber too! Nice looking little knife.

Yeah, I use YT mostly to not to waste the forum storage space with my little vids :lol:

Thanks Joshua!