Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

That's a beautiful pattern, Joshua! How many layers per bar? One thing I learned from my try with Turkish twist was I didn't have enough layers.

I think these bars were 23 layers. (12) 1095 and (11) 15N20, but I may be wrong about that. It might have been 13 layers, 7 & 6.

I forgot to label the bars when I completed them and they sat in the shop for a couple of months before I did anything with them.

Shaping a sort of knife out of springsteel, i think its what would be referd to as a drop point bowie

IMG_3768.JPG

Playing with clay adhesion and martensite tempering . Trying to just temper most of the fresh martensite without completely taking the Harmon away......I am finding the time dependency of the martensite tempering process (this will be useful here for folded steel and later for wootz). I have inherited a couple of large grinding wheels which have to come of my truck today ( don,t ask me how....they are very heavy).

Roughed out the bohi on this katana. Now it's a few weeks of hitting it with stones to clean it up.IMG_4024.JPG

• Like 1

Packages arrived!

Belts-opt.jpg

So I opened them up!

Belts (3)-opt.jpg

I only spent $500 :wacko: but now I stocked up again.

Belts (2)-opt.jpg

And I thought my $150 orders on belts was an investment. Gotta love fresh belts.

I think JPH posted this somewhere on these forums and now I have it on my desktop.

Knife making.jpeg

• Like 1

I think JPH posted this somewhere on these forums and now I have it on my desktop.

attachicon.gifKnife making.jpeg

It would be funnier if it weren't true :|

I am working o a sheath for a finished knife. I should be done with it today or tomorrow and maybe have pictures up early this coming week.

I attained my JS rating last june at bladeshow, for my sins I was picked to make the JS knife of the year for the ABS, this knife will for auctioned off at blade to support the ABS and its programs. (I did put my name in the hat for it .. ) so i started a BIG billet of Damascus to make it from ... really i dont need even half that much steel for what i have in mind but with the Nazel it is just as wast to weld up BIG billets then cut them up and break them dawn as it is to do smaller , and it is more fun!!!!

this is 21 layers of 15n20 and 1080 and the billet was around 2"/4 1/2"/7" (forgot to measure the height. )

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n6FjnhJGhTQ"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/n6FjnhJGhTQ

• Like 1

Holy Jamoly Matt! That's one stinking big.....well everything!

Today I finally made myself a file working jig/holder tool. Dwayne Dushane shows something like this one in his video on file work. Dwayne's is made from 1-1/2" square bar stock and I didn't have the patience to make one of those. So, I dug around in the scrap heap and found some 3/8" by 1-1/2" flat and a couple of 5/16" bolts. After using it, I was grateful to have done it. This really makes getting around the work piece much easier than using a bench vice and it holds the work piece like, well like a vice. I don't have to lean over anymore either. That was killing my neck.

I do understand why Dwayne has one out of such heavy stock though. There is a little flex in mine that I'd love to eliminate that Dwayne probably doesn't have in his. Here is the newest gizmo for the shop.

FIlework jig (2)-opt.jpg

Well it wasn't in my shop, but I took that ingot of W-2 I bought at the ABANA conference out to Hancock's shop today.

(See it here: http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=33978)

I just had to try out his new press controller system.

I cut the ingot into 3 equal parts and welded a handle to the end. We did most of the reduction at welding heat and forged on the side of the billet to take that scrabble stuff on the top and make the cross section easier to grind off.

I got partway through one of the thirds and made one of them into a bar 3/8" x 1-1/4" x 31".

attachicon.gifDSCN2626.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN2627.JPG

We cut off a piece from the end to check the consolidation. Very clean, very solid.

attachicon.gifsolid.JPG

Help me understand - you were welding in a rolling mill? If the mill is fast enough, that would be a great way to make sanmei. I know of someone who, I think, uses a similar process to clad stainless onto high carbon like 52100 for bad-ass kitchen knife blanks.

Rolling mill would be great to go along with the casting of bronze ingots I have been doing lately.

Whatever the exact process, it seems you are up to some interesting stuff. Cool!

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

Professor,

I never used a rolling mill. All this reduction was done with a hydraulic press and a 100 lb Striker power hammer (not so much on that hammer, it scares the willys out of me!)

A little something for my wife done Sunday. She likes to wear her hair in a bun with a stick holding it up, and I've made dozens of wooden sticks for her over the years. Had the forge going for another project and this popped out: Mild steel, sterling silver, bronze pin, overall length 6.25 inches/ 158 mm, stick is about 3/16" / 4 mm at the widest point.

hairstick.jpg

• Like 2

Nice Alan. You must be a better husband than I. My wife would occasionally desire to stab me with that...

My wife would have made it herself, and then stabbed me with it!

Nice job Alan.

after the first blade died (bad weld) I am finishing up the second the fittings are all crushed w's showing end grain pattern. the same bar as the blade. I at this point have all of the rough fit up finished, aliment pins in place and just need do a bit more with the fit up on the pommel. I am glad i made up a second blade as a back up, the first the patterned had gone weird and i wasn't sure i was going to use it .. then it died..

jsknifeoftheyear2017.jpg

ouch.jpg

15181690_10208581026780088_4704079856358760267_n.jpg

• Like 1

Well, it wasn't technically in my shop,but today I took some time to take a few pictures of my work.

Some time ago someone on this forum posted some damascus steel cuff bracelets. (I think he was an eastern european member named Kekishev?)

Being as much jeweler as bladesmith, this was something I desperately needed to try ofcourse. :D

The pattern is 100 layer ladder damascus, and the bracelet is roughly triangular in crossection, just like a dagger split in half. :P

The hard part was bending a triangle evenly without making hammer marks on the ridge.

I think it turned out quite cool, and I wear it all the time.

This is also a great way to show people what I can make without pulling a 10'' knife out of my back pocket.

20161206_133514_zpsica1natu.jpg

20161206_133628_zpslpqgqons.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice Pieter. I love wearable art!

after the first blade died (bad weld) I am finishing up the second the fittings are all crushed w's showing end grain pattern. the same bar as the blade. I at this point have all of the rough fit up finished, aliment pins in place and just need do a bit more with the fit up on the pommel. I am glad i made up a second blade as a back up, the first the patterned had gone weird and i wasn't sure i was going to use it .. then it died..

Good thinking and planning ahead! Can't wait to see the final product.

It's great to be back forging again after a long semester! Made this today for my Mom's birthday. Good o'le copper and nickel mokume.

IMAG0543.jpg

• Like 2