Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

I've started moving my shop again :P this time hopefully for an extended period of time. So now I'm measuring up for soundproofing to avoid my grandmother (she lives in the house with me) having noise issues.

Made two brackets and mounted the lights I bought in December on my grinders.

I've moved the grinders deeper into the garage and I still need to block the window behind the grinders.

Lots of backwards & forwards but no plan yet to get the new platen operational.

IMG_20200202_171611[1].jpg

IMG_20200202_171558[1].jpg

Edited by Gerhard Gerber
add pics
  • Like 1

One more project done and ready to scratch off the to do list.

Resized_20200203_160010.jpeg

I should mention I had to pull it all back apart after this picture because the dust shield was on backwards and wouldn't allow me to put the brake caliper on.:angry:

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Crazy day...........not all of it in the shop!  Stabilizing handle blanks.  Water main to my shop sprung a leak a couple of months ago and yesterday was a beautiful day so I dug it up.  Repaired it today and got all the dirt back in.  Friend gave me a 50 amp, 25 foot extension cord that he used with his big RV before he sold it.  I bought new ends for it and made up a cord for my New (to me) Lincoln Tombstone welder.  Now I have to run 220v from my main shop out to the Forging area so I'll have access to it out there.  Got the used Haynes book in that I'm going to use to teach me to weld with stick.  Got the brass guard on my knife blank last night.  Busy, busy, busy.

I got home and found a box delivered. At first I was excited. Travers Tool Co. sent my new files.

New files (1).JPG

Then I started opening them. 14" Mill Bastard, 14" Lathe, and 10" multi-Kut. All Simonds (supposedly anyway).

The Mill and the Multi-kut both say Simonds on them. The Mill says made in China and the Lathe says made in Honduras.

The lathe file just says "India" no Simonds. I'm a little dubious.

New files (4).JPG

Then Liz asks if they are for trimming my toenails......

New files (2).JPG

Edited by Joshua States

I would be, too, Josh.  Sounds "suspect" to me.

Josh, I had a similar experience last week at my local Production Tool store.  I ordered almost exactly the same files (I'm assuming we both took Alan's recommendation that he posted), and got pretty much the same results.  I think you got the better deal though, my lathe file came in as a Nicholson that was made in Mexico :angry:.  I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the 14" mill bastard though.  I thought the first one I had was halfway decent, but I really dont have much to compare it to.

Well, that sucks. :(

But I guess that's what happens when tool making companies are bought by MBAs who don't know what tools are supposed to do, only where the cheapest place to make things that look like them is.

But I have never used a Honduran file, maybe they're heat treatment is better than the Mexican ones.  Same with the Indian, but I have less hope there.

I have a Federal that's made in India and it cuts as well or better than any I have. We'll see how long it lasts.

Forks are hard! :wacko::P:lol:

Forging 304 didn't go great so I'm making another attempt using the 14C28 same as and as companion to the knife.

IMG_20200201_182734[1].jpg

This is the last blade I have to finish up forged last year, Im more than ready to start forging again! its 250mm along the edge, so a bit of a beast.

The forging on this one was pretty crap, core is not as well centred as I like, and I left it way to thick, so its been a PITA to grind. All things to improve on.

Blade is stainless clad Aogami super blue, with Ni barrier. (This material is purchased pre-laminated, kinda cheating, but its lovely)

Its an hour of fettling away from being ready for a handle. I will put some home stabalised beech on it, probably, but..... I have just stabalised some blocks of OSB which might look kinda cool :wacko:

nLhuI4e.jpg

I6Eknoe.jpg

• Like 3

I went out to the shop with a plan to make a long handled punch to drive out the wedge to the top die on my power hammer. Which I did but had no plan after that. I ended up cutting a big chunk of forklift tine and squared it up and then forged this. I'm not sure of the weight but it has to be all of 5 lbs.Resized_20200204_171705.jpegResized_20200204_171715.jpegResized_20200204_171738.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow I must have been wore out after forging this hammer because its nowhere near 5 lbs. It weighs 51 ounces or 3.18 lbs.:wacko:

Looks like a good hammer! Look at the "Hofi" style hammers.

Stainless kitchen knives off the grinderIMG_20200205_163307.jpg

• Like 6

I'm finally done with the dust extraction system for metal. I think it turned out well, and in brief tests, it seems to catch almost all of the sparks through the main intake with very little making it past the first intake. My concern is that hot sparks will eventually burn through the intake at the rear of the housing, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. I still have some cosmetic things to do, but that won't stop me from doin' some grinding. However, my wife has asked for me to build some furniture, so I don't know when I will be able to sneak a knife in.

P_20200205_145256[1].jpg

P_20200205_145814[1].jpg

P_20200205_145614[1].jpg

• Like 1

I like your solution below the platen. 

Just a suggestion:  Line the back of the enclosure with galvanized sheet metal where the hot sparks hit the exposed wood.  That should keep it from ever burning through.

Thanx Chris. I already have some 20 gauge sheet metal. If I notice any burned spots, I will slap that on the affected areas.

• Like 1

I put a tighter twist on that square bar. I have to put it in the annealing oven overnight so I can cut it in half.

Tight twist V2.jpg

• Like 1

Can't wait to get my forge up and running so I can try some of that Damascus stuff.

Got all my SS blades handsanded to 800grit satin and then started on the sheaths for some completed knives and slip covers for the kitchen knives.

White hell has been unleashed here(around 2 feet of snow and still going). Nevertheless, I managed to reach the post office with my old Subaru to pick up my carbide file guide from KnifeKits. I'm happy with the purchase as it is relatively compact and precisely machined. The carbide inserts are also bolted on instead of glued. 

On 1/26/2020 at 8:25 PM, Chris Christenberry said:

Start'em young.  Cute!!!

Thanks Chris- Shes always been my sidekick- and shes always ready for an adventure in the shop! 

On 1/28/2020 at 10:27 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Nice Kerri! I wish I could get one of my lil' nephews into bladesmithing. 

Keep trying my friend- Its amazing to see the curiosity and energy (and honestly a bit trying at times as well) but its well worth it in my thoughts! Try "Handmade Christmas" as a family suggestion and target the boys with ideas- who knows... Ill pray for it to catch in their hearts like it has in mine!

On 1/30/2020 at 3:47 AM, Gerhard Gerber said:

I believe the technical term for what I did in my shop yesterday is "faffing around" :ph34r:

@Kerri Duncan you have the most heart-melting cutest little princess I've seen in a while, how do you say no to that!?!?!?!? :D

Gerhard thanks-  I will not say I "never" say no... but I do say things like "Not now... Maybe... We will see... If we can... After we finish..." and over a thousand other things from my Dad-vocabulary to never dim her curiosity! 

Faffing- now THATS going in the notebook! HA! 

On 2/2/2020 at 7:19 PM, Alex Middleton said:

20200202_181845.jpg

I'm not 100% comfortable that it not just a giant fire hazard, but if I like how it works I'll probably rebuild the whole thing out of steel.  I was only able to do a little bit of test grinding, but I'd guess it catches 80-90%.  Much better than just a bucket of water, which seemed to let 80-90% go all over the place.

Alex- Get some strong magnets (hard drive magnets are cheap and awesome for this). Hang them in ziploc baggies about the shop- they "passive collect" metal dust as it floats by- every month or so just pull the baggie off the magnet and the dust falls off- and re-hang. 

I like your idea for the grinder box- Ill be (ahem...) Borrowing your design... Thanks!

So here she is after helping build the stand- gonna recess the anvil 1/2 inch and she will be ready to swing!

Took us about 4 hours longer than doing the project by myself- but MAN- What a good day... Now on to build my stand and get this little chick SWINGING!

Guys- sorry about the dad-bragging- but Im just stoked she wants to "play" and learn... not just cash out into the digital world... (and to be honest- it helps keep me wanting to "play" in the shop too!)

Anvils2.jpg

• Like 6