Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

got stuck in snow traffic this morning, which consequently stole my making time this evening as I did not finish work until 6pm. 

Anyway, I had a vision, in that traffic jam, (alibeit a slightly odd vision, admittedly,) for some of my more slightly off the wall blade work.

Chi_Tingdog Bladeworks is now a thing. I really dont know where it will head, but it made me smile designing the logo, and starting an insta page. Please give it a follow (same name on insta)! Im keeping it separate from me, and my other insta page which seems to be doing well. Be interesting to see if it gains any momentum :) ta!

Dude!  Sir John, rather:  you must post a pic of this logo for those of us not on Instagram, Facebook, etc.!  And I see what you did there...:lol:

23 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Dude!  Sir John, rather:  you must post a pic of this logo for those of us not on Instagram, Facebook, etc.!  And I see what you did there...:lol:

in all its glory..... I really did get traffic bored :)

7grvsUl.jpg

• Haha 1

unless google traslate lied to me, the Kanji in the logo is a direct tranlation of sh!tingdog bladeworks. OK, I was very distracted today! (and if anyone asks, its a jumping shrew in the logo.........)

Edited by John N
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have just had the electrician in and now have a good security camera that is linked to both my ph and computer so I no longer have to be so concerned about going away and having a;; my "stuff" in the shed.

I got some exciting news on shop tooling this week !! my little rolling mill I traded for a Massey 2 cwt clear space is leaving Norway next week B)

Just need to sort some logistics at this end to get it from dockside to me, its about 13000 lbs, so cant unload it with a fork truck if it arrives in a curtain sider ! Never used a rolling mill before, so looking forward to a new challenge - need to build a new long forge to go with it as well. Think it will need to be at least 5' long !

Score!  

44 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Score!  

another itch that needed scratching Alan! The chap would not sell the mill (its georgous, spent its life in a silversmith shop) - the only way he would part with it was a swopysy for the 2 cwt hammer! I just have to put out of my head that I could have got $20k for the hammer :D 

• Sad 1

I should've been on my way to one of our coastal towns, Walvis Bay, for a hammer-in I've been trying to arrange since late last year.

We started a Facebook page to try get the guys in Namibia together, with very limited success, and it didn't help that I was in facebook-jail for a while and developed a severe social media allergy.

We got a few responses and some interest, and the only full-time blacksmith in the country willing to do a demo.

I had several problems, the plan was to do the hammer-in at a friend's shop, he built all his equipment including a ribbon burner forge and power hammer himself.  He is retired and we'd have to cover his costs at the very least, but we have no idea what those would be. He's super generous and would give you the clothes off his back, and I don't want anybody taking advantage of that.

Not even a one of us has ever been to an event like this, not enough equipment to have everybody participate, and not enough presenters to fill a day.

I don't know if it's because the market is so small, or a shared dislike of facebook, but it's been difficult engaging with the makers, I got the impression most of the people that expressed an interest want to, but haven't actually started yet.

• Like 1

I ran out of construction foam :lol: thought I had plenty, didnt realize what a big space there was between the insulation and the drywall

I snuck out to put a new regulator on my forge and a new handle on one of my hammers. Shorter and fatter this time. I think I'm gonna try a hard finish on it. I grip my hammers too hard just to keep my hand on the handle and I know a glossy finish promotes grip. That might allow me to loosen up (though an "expert" may frown upon my folly) . 

My dog got in a bad fight last weekend and has taken up all my time and money since. I was lucky this afternoon because the vet had to sedate him at his appointment, so he's been napping all day. Once he starts eating good on his own, bucks the infection, stops oozing puss all the time, and starts getting around on his own; I gotta work on selling something. Either making it to sell, or selling one of my keepers. 20200215_180257.jpg

Man, best wishes and good vibes for the dog! :(

As for the hammer handle, in my experience a gloss finish makes it stick (as in gives you blisters) until your hand gets sweaty, then it squirts out like a greased lightning bolt.  I just sand to 80 or 120 grit, just enough that there's no splinters.  One coat of boiled linseed oil or just leave it as-is.  Or char it and run it back with steel wool.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Alan! He's gonna make it I think, but hes not going to be running around like he was. 

I guess I'll give the handle a try as is first. I've never had a hammer I was truly comfortable swinging though. I might just work at too fast of a pace. They say use a bigger hammer in that case, but I'm the kind of guy with more endurance than strength. I've tried to keep good form. I try to give the hammer a little snap at the end of the downswing, and lift it as it rebounds the piece and get the shaft to 90° and up near my shoulder ASAP. I just seem the tear my hands up and grip too hard, otherwise I re-adjust everytime I flip the piece (sorta making anvil music). 

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

I try to give the hammer a little snap at the end of the downswing, and lift it as it rebounds the piece and get the shaft to 90° and up near my shoulder ASAP.

I think I see the issue.  The hammer should do the work, you shouldn't have to.  Snapping at the end of the stroke is okay for small hammers trying to do big work, but doing it with a decent-sized hammer of 2 - 3 lbs is asking for trouble.  It should rebound back to at least 45 degrees with zero effort on your part as well.  Watch someone like Peter Ross work.  He's not going pedal to the metal, flat out.  He's letting the hammer do the work, taking his time to plan the next blow, not rushing to keep the heat, and so on.  Being Peter Ross, he makes it look easier than it is.  I find I tend to hammer at around 120 beats per minute with 2 to 3-lb hammers, a little faster with lighter ones, a little to a lot slower with heavier ones as they get heavier.  

Also, I find "normal" handles are too big for my ordinary-sized hands and make me grip too hard.  I shave down my handles until they feel good.  I'm six feet tall, glove size 9 (large), and I don't have stubby fingers.  I can span one full octave plus one key on a piano, in other words. Normal sized hands.  And I take at least 1/4" off my handles thickness compared to factory handles.  Makes a big difference to me, it may help you!

• Thanks 1

This is what I get for not tempering right after heat treating. I'm going to cut the entire edge off and re-forge the blade. There is plenty of steel to work with so It should be okay.

Resized_20200216_181036.jpeg

Resized_20200216_180931.jpeg

• Sad 1

OUCH!  Bummer.

Surface planed some Basswood for my wood carving class's projects.  I've also been making handles for 5 of my custom wood carving knives.  Not sure what caused it, but my hands started shaking uncontrollably and I couldn't use my dial calipers and mark anything accurately.  Came in to eat some dinner to see if that helps.  Not sure what's going on.  Oh well, guess I'm just gettin' old. :D  But all kidding aside, it does concern me a bit.

7 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Came in to eat some dinner to see if that helps

Keep us updated :wacko:

Got a couple of nice pieces of maple burl in the post this morning and started the finish process on a pair of oak chef knife handles. Processed a bit more oak into blocks and have it in the drying oven for a week to finish it down to vacuum chamber dry for stabilising. 

IMG_20200217_120032.jpgIMG_20200217_121242.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1

Like that Maple Burl and those knives, Garry.

Shakes went away after I ate, Joel.  Guess I just didn't eat enough today.

• Like 2

More hook forging practice. I burned it multiple times so it looks a little bit ruff. I’m going to try and forge a more complicated hook next time.

I am by no means getting better at forging what I want to forge, but I’m getting very good hammer control and am doing really well forging clean even tapers. I really wish I could find someone around me that could teach me some more advanced blacksmith work. Once you get out of the realm of basic hooks and leafs I’ve got no idea what I’m doing..:mellow:

image.jpg

Edited by Conner Michaux

1 hour ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Like that Maple Burl and those knives, Garry.

Shakes went away after I ate, Joel.  Guess I just didn't eat enough today.

I have had a similar shakes from time to time and the remedy has always been to eat and have a drink. Had all sorts of tests with no result so I just think of them as the adrenalin shakes, take a 1/2 hr break with snack etc and get on with doing what I do, no big worry. Been an irregular happening for quite a few years now.

Edited by Garry Keown

I'm fine now, Garry.  Just didn't think I should be messing with spinning router bits and small pieces of wood used for handles on my wood carving knives.  Heck, I couldn't even make my marks so I could set things up.  I'll get back at it tomorrow when I'm normal............................if there is such a thing! :D

Edited by Chris Christenberry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

I'm fine now, Garry.  Just didn't think I should be messing with spinning router bits and small pieces of wood used for handles on my wood carving knives.  Heck, I couldn't even make my marks so I could set things up.  I'll get back at it tomorrow when I'm normal............................if there is such a thing! :D

Of course we are normal. It is those who dont make knives who are not normal----------------------- isn't it???

• Like 1

Did the rough grinds on a his & hers set of knives, the blade on his is maybe a bit wide for the steel thickness, hollow grind, if it doesn't turn into a noodle in the HT it will cut like a laser B)

I planned on fitting the piece of brass for the sub-hilt on another knife, realized I need to do some designing to get the spacing right.

Still undecided about the handle material but I very much wanted to used a section of Oryx horn that I'd heated in oil and pressed into an oval shape.

While busy I bumped it off the kitchen counter and it shattered when it hit the floor, very glad I didn't use it.