What did you do in your shop today?

6 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

.....Suspect I got some stonking hamons B)

All you guys in the southern hemisphere have some great words...

... I'm so working stonking into my vocabulary.

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

A few weeks ago a kid (I say kid, college senior doing an honors thesis, probably 21 or so ) came to my local guild meeting to ask if anyone could help him with a sword. His honors thesis involves han

Forging a copper rose pommel for a misericorde I'm working on. Also going to try and make a couple of tiny ones for the ends of the quillions...    

Posted Images

I have a buddy (or brother!) that has an uncle that isn't doing well and there putting on a benefit auction. So we decided to make a couple hatchets and were planning on an axe. This is one of them. The other is an integral handle hatchet.

20200226_120210.jpg

Made a new coal forge also. Here is the new and the old. I think the new will be much better. I'm working on a hood and the piping I need to run it inside.

20200226_122705.jpg

20200226_122924.jpg

A busy day with these blades all pre ground and heat treated so there is the finish grind and handsanding to go now.IMG_20200227_192223.jpg

This landed today...... Im a bit in love already. Bit of a mission to unload it from the wagon this morning.

Not due to the weight, as we have sufficient cranage, but it was loaded with a fork truck, and we needed to top lift it, so had to partially strip it on the back of a snow covered trailer to get a good lift on it without damaging! took an hour and a half. Safely on the deck now :)

KcrGxEv.jpg

• Like 3

John, I think it is worth mentioning that with great power comes great responsibility; and also that absolute power corrupts absolutely.  I would fear to own such a machine, for the mischief I would get myself into.  

image.jpeg

• Haha 2

Wow! that is an absolute monster of a rolling mill

If I owned something like that I'd spend a week just flattening everything in my shop:D

A day of handsanding with this lot all ready for handles now.handsanding.png

• Like 4

I finally got back to some forging over the weekend.  I need to make some more mosaic bar for a few folding knife projects I have in mind.  To get started, I turned this:

IMG_20200229_155713327.jpg

Into this:

IMG_20200301_143034439.jpg

Along the way I crushed the first stack into Ws, and cut it into 6 pieces to restack.  Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow evening to do the first 4-way weld.

• Like 2
On 2/16/2020 at 10:01 PM, Conner Michaux said:

Once you get out of the realm of basic hooks and leafs

The taper is everything.  If you get good at tapers, then everything else will become easier to do.  So if hooks and leafs are all you can make, than work at making the hook and leaf how you want it, not how it turns out.  Get Mark Aspery's first book.

I got the bolsters on a number of the blades (either 8 or 9, not sure now). One SS, a couple of brass, some buff horn and some micarta. Also got a couple of handles glued up with liners and one with the liner,spacer and bolster in one. 

After getting some of the bolsters done yesterday, today it was time to get the handles fitted and ready for glueing up. They are all in the clamps for the night as is the set in the bottom of the pic which has the blaze liner and spacer with black bolster and OD handle set. I have started to lay out the parts for the rest of the handles and bolsters but it will be a couple of days till I can get back to the shed.

IMG_20200305_151913.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

You're a regular knife-makin'-machine, Garry.

There is a hunt competition coming up in a couple of months and I have some prizes to donate and will have to have a few on hand for sale so wanted to get some ready for that along with recent orders. I love being retired!!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

I love being retired!!

Know what you mean, Garry.  Since retiring I've been so busy I don't know how I ever worked a 10 hour day and still get everything I wanted/needed to do done!

• Haha 1

Been real busy with not much shop time lately. Finally was able to spend some time in the shop today and just been working on finishing up this knife that had been sitting in the shop close to finished for about 6 months.

Mostly happy with it. Cruforge V and ringed gidgee handle.

Still some residues on the blade 

9891EB15-0241-445F-ABD6-AC174C103843.jpeg

Edited by Cody Killgore
  • Like 4

Yeah Cody. That looks dang nice. Some things about it are not to my taste, but there's nothing I would say needs "fixing".

• Thanks 1