Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Profile grind on my integral hatchet build.

Resized_20200307_122942.jpeg

• Like 1

I went on a quest - to find new tools for building the shops sound wall :)  one rotary hammer a bit used but good, for 60$

19 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Yeah, looks great Cody! The pin seems a bit high for my taste, but also looks like it belongs there. 

Much appreciated. I agree, I think the pin is a little too close to the guard.

Finally found time to finish the rest of the front end of my wifes truck. All new ball joints tie rods and stabilizer links. Alignment just got done. Now time to clean shop and get ready for @Alex Middleton to come and take Smurfette (my power hammer) for a ride.

Resized_20200306_191606.jpeg

Next is U-joints and CV axles. Then after I replace everything my wife will decide she wants something new and start the process all over again for the 5th time.:angry:

Your wife sounds a lot like mine, lol.  You didnt have to clean up just for me.......:D

• Haha 1

I need to clean for my own sanity!!! :lol:

And to be able to move the anvils back out.

• Haha 1

I just finished getting the handles on the second 9 knives and the first 9 preshaped so will preshape the others in the morning and then it is on to files and sanding to finish them off. Be a nice group when done.

Had an awesome time today forging a hammer and some Damascus with @Alex Middleton!!!! Hope to have many more forging sessions in the future!!!

Absolutely!  I had a great time.  Smurfette is a beast!  I never realized just how much work you can get done with a power hammer until today.  Now I get to back to my shop and do it all by hand.  At least I have a real forging hammer now!  Thanks again man.

Been a busy couple of days with all the handle on and this morning got them all rough shaped on the 2x72 and made a start on finishing them. From the top there is paper micarta and bras, madrone burl and paper micarta, maple burl and paper micarta, matai and paprer micarta, ambonya burl and buff horn, and at the bottom is sapele and stainless. The sapele being a softer wood made getting the transition from one to the other a very delicate process and at time very frustrating.

IMG_20200309_091529.jpg

IMG_20200309_165620.jpg

• Like 5

Friday, beers on the porch with friends...

Saturday, excellent rock concert.

Yesterday my conscience caught up with me, cleaned up the blade on my 4th knife, my personal camp chopper and makers mark experimental canvas.

More importantly, ground in the bevels on my 2nd 1070 test blade that was heat treated as just a blank.....hollow grind, then convexed out the hollow on a slack belt.

It went far better than expected, did not come close to messing up the HT, and there's an interesting comparison between the two blades that raised a few questions.

Posted (edited)

Took my intro to blacksmithing course at my local guild this weekend- had a blast... On my way to the entry test next month- now to forge out the remaining pieces (5 of each) for the "Noob merit badge" to get some street cred in the guild.

TBG Class 1.jpg

Heating the blanks- making the scrolls, learning the ropes... 

TBG Class 2.jpg

Making the hooks- yes the spikes are TOO BIG... but they will do well cinched! 

TBG Class 3.jpg

And the wife loves her keychain leaf... Its a start!

Edited by Kerri Duncan
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

Friday I helped an older gent clean out his shop and get things on pallets for moving- The city has claimed his barn area for eminent domain to widen a road.

If anyone is nearby the Hampton Roads area and needs an anvil- he has 2 in great shape!

The Kohlsawa:

Anvil Kohlsawa.jpg

The Peter Wright:

Anvil Peter.jpg

And a gnarly doorstop  Vulcan Arm and Hammer:

Anvil Arm Hammer.jpg

And I scored a big find for me- a 300 pound Fisher 1942:

Anvil Fisher.jpg

He also has several Swage blocks and stands (Here is just one)

Swage.jpg

I had a blast rummaging and cleaning- Im heading back next week to help him tackle another section- so hopefully more posts then!

• Like 1

As a beginner trying to learn how metal moves I tried to make a heart, started with much thicker stock than I probably should of. Also I don't have a vice so these bends and curls were fairly difficult to do. I also started work on my first knife made with proper high carbon steel (pics to come next time I'm at the forge)

20200308_200416.jpg

Typically you do those scrolls without a vise anyway, freehand on the anvil.  Yours look good, except for the putting-the-pointed-bottom-in-the-wrong-place part. ;)  Hearts are harder than they look to get even.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Got the big billet of crushed Ws I'm working on cut, restacked, and first-pass welded on Sunday, and today I got it mostly drawn out. I had to fight it for a while to make the cross section look like a rectangle rather than a parallelogram, but I think it's all set now. It's a lot of work just to lift this thing up. <_<

MVIMG_20200308_134358.jpg

MVIMG_20200310_185715.jpg

MVIMG_20200310_195416.jpg

Edited by AJ Chalifoux
  • Like 2

A few more handles done today Bushcraft hunter with micarta, Thumbrest skinner with swamp kauri over micarta, skinner with ebony over copper, mini skinner with impala jigged horn over blue liner, mini skinner with macrocarpa over micarta, hunter skinner with swamp kauri over ebony, and another hunterskinner with eucalyptus over micarta.

IMG_20200311_164954.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/8/2020 at 12:53 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Had an awesome time today forging a hammer and some Damascus with @Alex Middleton!!!!

On 3/8/2020 at 1:31 PM, Alex Middleton said:

At least I have a real forging hammer now!

Want to see pics!!!

Today I finished up a few of days of forging, grinding hand sanding and heat treating these 3 blades 20200312_200231.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just a couple left on the bench now after this lot got done today. From the left is a Hunter Skinner with micarta and Matai, A Light Hunter with Ebony and Matai, a Mini Skinner with micarta and Eucalyptus, A new design Wapiti hunter butcher with blaze liners and spacers with black and OD micarta, a PH EDC with black paper and natural canvas micarta, and two boning knives with one having brass and oak with the second having brass and ebony.

IMG_20200313_175305.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, billyO said:

Want to see pics!!!

Sorry for the delay.  Between work and the fire department, it's been a crazy week for me.  I'm just now finding some time to chill out and relax a little.

Here's the main products of the forging session @Jeremy Blohm and I had last weekend:

20200313_183213.jpg

42 layers of 1084/15n20 and a 2lb version of Jeremy's Type 1(?) Hammer head.  It was pretty much my first time forging anything that wasn't a blade or a fire poker, and definitely my first time playing with a power hammer.  It still blows my mind that he was able to take a chunk out of the center section of a railroad track, similar to this:

1977.jpeg

and turn it into a hammer head.  I still can't thank you enough for letting me invade for the day.  I'm looking forward to doing it again!

I also had a nice surprise today.  One of our new guys on the fire department found out that I play around with knife making and asked if I needed any wood for handles.  When I asked him what kind of wood he was talking about, he went out to his car and came back with these two slabs of walnut:

20200313_183304.jpg

He said that these are the types of pieces that they cut out and throw away at his shop.  As I was picking my jaw up off the floor, he started rambling on about birdseye maple, mahogany, oak burl, etc.  I think I may have a new best friend! :D

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

I think I may have a new best friend!

Amen to that!!!!!

Posted (edited)

@Alex Middleton - you need to make your new best friend a knife using his wood, and do it quickly to get him excited...

Edited by Ron Benson
  • Like 1

6db3b93210de140175211a0ff5cd1543.jpg

Even better, I'm going to help him make his own.  He coming by tomorrow to get started.

• Thanks 1