Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

walnut:

20200313_183304.jpg

He said that these are the types of pieces that they cut out and throw away at his shop.  As I was picking my jaw up off the floor, he started rambling on about birdseye maple, mahogany, oak burl, etc.  I think I may have a new best friend! :D

wow thats got some crazy stuff going on.
though I wouldnt wanna touch that with hand woodworking tools, the grain seems to be going in every which direction and back.
im also currently working w walnut wood, I really like the smell, I would describe it as "mellow and rustic comfort"

other people tho...have told me it makes me smell like I came out of an old building...
eeeyeah...maybe watch out for that, if youre planning on meeting folks after XD

Edited by J.Leon_Szesny
  • Haha 1

Lol.  I'll probably start stabilizing some of it tomorrow.  I've been trying to decide what I want to do for a handle on the dagger I'm working on.  I'm thinking a piece of this with copper or bronze fittings is going to be a winner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Even better, I'm going to help him make his own.  He coming by tomorrow to get started.

Yes! That's the way to do it.

16 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Even better, I'm going to help him make his own.

That sounds like a great plan...although he might get addicted and want to keep the scraps for his own handles...:unsure:

22 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Type 1(?) Hammer 

That was actually the first hammer of Type 3. I changed some order of operations and ended with that :lol:

• Haha 1

Mike came over today and got started.  We had a really good time.  It's kind of different being in the "instructor" role when it comes to forging/bladesmithing, but we got it figured out.  I've always preached at the fire department that the best way to learn something is to teach it.  I guess today I got a dose of my own medicine.:D

Here's his blade after forging:

20200314_165519.jpg

We got the profile cleaned up on the belt sander and I sent him home with my big bastard file to finish getting the flats cleaned up and true.  I forgot to take a picture before he left, but it's coming along nicely.

• Like 1

A day on leather work today with this lot cut out, welts glued in, dyed and ready for the belt loops to be sewn on. 

IMG_20200315_145855.jpg

• Like 2

got my first day forging kitchen knives yesterday, since before christmas. Was a bit rusty, and the first one was hard work (went all shapes) - got my mojo back by the 4th, and also did a couple of Nakiri. Good fun day.

These are stainless clad 'super blue' steel (pre-laminated stock) - they have not seen a grinder as photographed, about 1mm thick at edge.

2TGz2D1.jpg

• Like 2

Quite a bit done this weekend, first temper cycle done finished 8pm......

Some photos to follow later, I need to thank a few people here who's advice helped me another step forward. 

Posted (edited)

Couple more pics of Mike's knife.  After cleaning up the profile:

2005.jpeg

And then getting started on getting things flat:2000.jpeg

Things got a little wonky on the grinder, so we went to files to get it straightened back out.  Plenty of work left to do.

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 1

@Garry Keown those are some nice looking sheaths. The subtle stamped border tooling is a very nice touch.

1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

@Garry Keown those are some nice looking sheaths. The subtle stamped border tooling is a very nice touch.

Thanks Joshua. Have most of them sewn up now and will finish them tomorrow.

Made this little laminated blade out of 1/2 by 1/8 mild and W1.  Now if I can do the hard part and finish it.

Picture 3083 Large e-mail view.jpg

20 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Couple more pics of Mike's knife.  After cleaning up the profile:

2005.jpeg

And then getting started on getting things flat:2000.jpeg

Things got a little wonky on the grinder, so we went to files to get it straightened back out.  Plenty of work left to do.

So it begins: a new fascination/envy for a skill others have and I want!

Thanks for bringing me in to your shop for the afternoon and evening Alex.  I am humbled that you would openly share your knowledge, materials, and tools.  As for the wood, one man's junk is another man's treasure.  As I cherry picked the scrap bin for walnut to do an inlay project I couldn't pass up some of the grain patterns on those pieces you now have.  Although I had no intentions for them, I feel I was given a gift to give a gift.  In return....well...I will have a tool (knife) that I will cherish forever.  I know this will become something bigger for me and I am eager to get to the point that we build a forge for me.

Time to browse these forums for additional knowledge!

~Mike

• Like 2

I got all 19 sheaths done and knives ready to ship bar the sharpening and posted them in my various knives thread in show and tell and then late in the day a friend dropped in this big eucalyptus crown so there will be some very nice handle blocks coming from it along with some firewood.

IMG_20200318_172228.jpg

• Like 1

That is a weighty bit o wood Gary.  What orientation would you slice up the crotch to get the best looking grain?

Delivered this set to a nice lady as a late xmas gift to her husband, 2 sons, and daughter. The stand is featuring antlers from the father's best friend that just passed away. She only wanted a keychain for the one son. (He must have been naughty. All are 5160 with antler, black walnut, and copper spacers. The daughters has pine cone scales. Stay well everyone!

Tom

20200223_100954_768x1365.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

That is a weighty bit o wood Gary.  What orientation would you slice up the crotch to get the best looking grain?

Initially I think I will mark out either side of the crotch and see what I get after the first side is taken off

After a day I don't want over due to virus-inspired disaster response testing, I fueled myself with stout beer and did the second temper cycle on 4 blades HT'ed on Sunday.

The two 1070 kitchen knife blades came out a beautifully even golden colour.

The one 14C28N blade had a wonka-wonka in the edge, clamped that between two pieces of angle iron, seems to have pulled it within grinding range...fingers crossed.

Work is wierd this week with the virus, phones not ringing, emails are slow, so Ive been catching up on the shop floor.

Got someone i know coming in to look at a hammer tomorrow,  and we have decided to make a day of it, info sharing and forging - Its got me to pull my finger out and make a punch holder for the hydraulic press, going to have a go at axes or hammers, or something. Ive been meaning to tool a press up for years, so its nice to finally get around to it!

Got some H13 to make some punches / drifts, so will forge the tools, then forge the forgings - really looking forward to it :D 

Will post some pics tomorrow!

• Like 2

I love hammer and axe making. Definitely wanna see pictures 

Definitely!

Well, while I'm waiting on the casting of my ribbon burner to completely dry and let me finish my gasser, I spent the day building my first project with my new (to me) welder.  Never welded until I bought this and haven't gotten in much practice.  The 25 year old rods that came with it are probably pretty shot, but I don't have the funds to buy new ones right now.  Anyway, pretty welds or not, I spent the day building a hammer and tong rack.  I'm reasonably pleased with it...........especially as a first project.  I made it so there would be space for more hammers or tongs than I'll ever own. 

20200319_173507-half.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Christenberry said:

I made it so there would be space for more hammers or tongs than I'll ever own. 

I would put money on that not being enough room. :lol:;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, Jeremy, there's room for 27 hammers and only God knows how many tongs.  I'd be willing to bet you good money I'll never fill it.  So since I win the bet, you can just mail me a check and maybe I'll have enough money to buy one of your Sawyer's hammer heads.  :D