What did you do in your shop today?

Ht day for a little assym.-weld eye hatchet...A friend wants it for woodworking,particularly splitting and hewing green birch for sleds...

2015.jpg

There wasn't really much to write about,except for This-this marvel of cutting-edge technology(to me:)-Black&Decker electric toaster oven,fresh from the village dump!

It has those amazing electrodes that glow,and i've no  idea what they's even made Of:)...But it works corker!!! 

2033.jpg

I'm fascinated by those glowing glass(?)rods...use any excuse to turn it on and gawk at them...I was going to stick a loaf of bread in together with the forging,but remembered just in time that it was  the waste oil i just used for quenching...

The way it's calibrated seems pretty low,but i don't mind a bit of extra hardness in this,it'll be handled short and used in precise manner,it ain't no felling axe...

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

No knife work since right after Christmas, I've been in furniture mode.  The backstory:  I won a couple of steel scuba tanks with the bottom cut off at an iron-in-the-hat at my local blacksmith's guil

I made myself a hammer I´ve wanted for a long time: an english style dog head hammer. Forged from 60mm square c45 steel (1045 basically) with a curly walnut handle, just because I wanted to be fa

Posted Images

Worked just fine.  I used 197 1/8" coctail straws to make the holes.  Fretted over casting it for months for fear I'd mess it up.  Took one hour from the time I poured the bags of casting material into the bowl for mixing to completion.  Easy-Peazy!  I will add though, the stuff is like trying to cast crunchy peanut butter.  I used an air-impact chisel directed at the side of the casting and it turned the material into jelly and it just flowed in-between those tiny strays like syrup.  Prettiest burner casting I've seen on all the forums to date.

I'll be reporting back when I fire it up...............either that or you'll read in the papers that some crazy knifemaker blew his shop off the face of the earth trying to light his new forge!

Whacko Crazy.jpg

Okay, just took a couple of pictures.

20200320_110152.jpg

20200320_110122.jpg

Edited by Chris Christenberry
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nice axe, Jake,

and looks good, Chris!

Most ribbon burner plans (and burners) I've seen use 1/4" or 3/16" holes, but I bet the 1/8" will be just fine, if not better.

• Like 1

Thanks, Alan.  I've got a friend on my Blacksmithing site who has built about 15 different ribbon burners.  I've been using him as my "canary".  He's the experimenter, I'm the tag-a-long.  :D  Every time he makes a new one, I talk with him about why he made the changes he did and how they affected the burn.  As you can see, I originally had almost twice the number of holes, but he sent me a PM just before I cast mine and told me to pull almost half the straws.  Said he'd decided on the number I now have.  This is a forced air forge.  Going to get it put together by this weekend and ready to blow up my shop.  This ought to be fun! 

BOOM!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

BOOM!!

To avoid that, just remember turn on the air first, THEN the gas.  Then when you shut down, turn off the gas first, then the air.  If you then want to scare the bejeebers out of a visitor, wait until the forge is good and hot, fully bright red inside, then trip over the cord to the blower.  The forge will start making a sort of "WHUFFwhuffwhuffwhuffWHUFF" noise, with billows of dark orange flame rolling out the doors.  If left alone it will eventually go out, but not before blowing relatively cool flames up to five feet from the forge.  If you let it go for more than about 20 seconds, though, it's only polite to cut the gas before restarting the blower.  If you hit the blower as it's starting to go out the resulting "WHOOOMPH!" tends to cause stained underwear. ;)

Not that I've ever done this, of course.  Had it done TO me, yes. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Chris Christenberry said:

BOOM!!

47 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

WHOOOMPH

Kinda like this. The first match fell through the bottom to the floor.:huh:

• Like 1

Never did cotton to messing up my underwear!  Got over that shortly after filling my last diaper.  Don't remember when that was because my "rememory" doesn't go back that far. :D

Just finished plumbing the forge.  It's ready to fire up.  Will be a little while, though.  Gettin' down to the wire and I'm pumped.  I'm just a tad apprehensive to put match to gas on this thing.  Kind of like the first time you close a circuit breaker on a 220V line.   Regular pansy!  I have no reason to think I've done anything wrong on the project, but who knows.  Everything seems in order.  My  new 100# propane tank is empty and will have to stay that way for some time.  Told Vikki I was going to need her help taking one of the small propane tanks off the trailer to give the forge a try.  She asked how much it weighed.  When I told her it was 35#, she said to call the surgery department and see if the two of us could lift that just long enough to put it on a wagon.  Surgery Nurse said absolutely not.  I'm not to lift more than 10# until after six weeks of healing after the surgery.  I asked why, when I'm starting to feel a little better.  She said they moved enough things around in my belly that I'd run the risk of a hernia.  Oh crap!  That's all I need...............cause yet another surgery.  So I'll be waiting on the firing for a while.  Unless one of you kind bladesmiths, who can guarantee you don't have this Chinese Virus, could come and do the lifting. :rolleyes::D:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Kinda like this. The first match fell through the bottom to the floor.:huh:

This is why you don't light a gas forge with a match. :rolleyes:

The prevailing methods are either the trigger-start propane torch aimed in while you crack the gas valve, or the flaming wad of paper.

The flaming wad of paper method has the bonus of producing a flaming wad of paper shooting across the shop, and therefore is favored by many. :lol:  The torch method is clean, quiet, and utterly without drama, and thus appeals to those who prefer such things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"clean, quiet and utterly without drama"............Dat dere sounds like me.

Here's pictorial proof the forge is finished:

20200320_162132-half.jpg

20200320_162209-half.jpg

20200320_162221-half.jpg

Edited by Chris Christenberry
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

The prevailing methods are either the trigger-start propane torch aimed in while you crack the gas valve, or the flaming wad of paper.

I personally prefer a flaming paper airplane :lol::D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a fun forging day today with John of this manor (not sure of his user name!) The press tooling worked well for punching, but I forgot to photo,  Ill get some pics next time I remember. 

I made a tiny rounding hammer from a massive bearing roller, for my 4 yr old sprog :) - about a pound at a guess

9qMuHwk.jpg

9AVRaah.jpg

hhnkrVK.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, John N said:

I made a tiny rounding hammer from a massive bearing roller

John,that's a Very classy forged shape,just really sweet.

Good for you,heck of a nice controlled hammer-work,beautiful result(lucky sprog!:). 

Well, I courageously executed the first-fire on my forge today.  Nothing blew up, but I did lose much of the hair on my forge lighting arm. :D  It's going to take me a little time to figure out the balance of propane pressure and forced air pressure, but I'll get there.  Pretty excited about the whole thing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

I did lose much of the hair on my forge lighting arm

Perhaps I should have clarified.  Air on, slightly opened valve, torch in forge, light torch, slowly add gas until it gives a gentle "poof!"   ;)  But yeah, it'll take the hair off your knuckles no matter what.  You just have to figure out where to stand during the process so as little of you as possible is in the way.  A smith I know who shall remain nameless lost much of his beard that way, using the flaming wad of paper method and Jeremy's mistake of not turning the gas off between attempts while lighting a Fogg-type drum forge...

Congrats on the first firing! 

Just started to make this fairbairn_sykes commando knife, a double first for me! 

First time in the shop since December, after health problems 

First commission for a knife, hope I can pull it off!!!. 

IMG_20200321_081304.jpg

IMG_20200321_085857.jpg

• Like 2

Just straightened out a 10 piece of 1" cross-section coil spring.  Did it right good-n-proper.  Going to have to make some tongs.  The flat bit tongs I made are worthless for much of anything but knifes.  Besides, they are too short to work in this forge..................dang this thing is hot. :lol:

Plum tree had ripe fruit so a day of making sauce, jam and some preserves but still have more preservers to do

IMG_20200322_154422.jpg

The I was tempted by some nice wood so have these coming 

Tasmanian Blackwood

JW4.pngJason 2.pngJW2.png

Yellow Cedar Burl

J W 1.png

And some black lacewood I bought last week

JW5.pngJW7.png

And last but not least a block of redwood burl

JW6.png

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

That tazmanian black wood is beautiful!!!

Yes it is!! he keeps showing me these blocks and I am not able to resist no matter how hard I (dont) try :)

moved my new panel saw to the end of the building im going to be keeping it in and covered my insulation so the dam birds will stop stealing it for there nests dont mind the small amount of handle material siting in the foreground

wall.jpg

saw.jpg

Some late night drinking and forging with my little brother yielded this big ass fighter. No particular design in mind just drinking and forging :lol:

1084 powder steel. Industrial band saw blade strips. Bed frame canister.

Resized_20200322_170810.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm