Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Been working on a blade for the past few days. It's a 9 1/4" 9 bar serpent core dagger - silver steel edges with a serpent of alternating 15n20 and 11 layer twist set in mild steel:

dragon dagger 4.jpg

I'm making it to fit this handle I've been working on, carved from sycamore:

dragon 15.jpg

it's been pretty fun so far...

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, R. Alex Dorris said:

Hell yea! Do you hand carve, or use a rotary?

all the actual carving is done with chisels/gravers, but I used a burr for some surface texturing

Posted (edited)

The morning went by with getting some knives sharpened, cleaned up, packaged and away on the international courier and the afternoon was spent going over a request for a short bullnosed skinner and when I had the pattern right, getting it and another 5 blades cut out and profiled. 

Edited by Garry Keown

11 hours ago, jake cleland said:

Been working on a blade for the past few days. It's a 9 1/4" 9 bar serpent core dagger - silver steel edges with a serpent of alternating 15n20 and 11 layer twist set in mild steel:

I'm making it to fit this handle I've been working on, carved from sycamore:

Dang, Jake!  That's going to be all kinds of awesome!  

22 hours ago, jake cleland said:

I bet! Any hardware planned?

10 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I bet! Any hardware planned?

I toyed with the Idea of a talon shaped guard, but it was too busy and messed with the lines, so It'll get basically a Japanese mount -  copper habaki and seppas, small hamidashi style tsuba with some sculpting around the mimi, buffalo horn fuchi. Thinking I might make the pommel nut in the form of a lance head...

• Like 1

The helve hammer had a good boost today with the base plates bolted down and the nuts welded on the underside of the floor plate. The stands for the drive arm pulley were welded to the base plate then the twin uprights got welded to their base plate with the angle irons welded to the top for the bearing housings to be bolted to. Dosent sound like a lot but it was a full day. 

spend 2 hours trying to repair an angle grinder -.- only one with 230mm discs we got and the locking nut broke into 4 pieces with the thread still stuck on ..

Went up to the retort - cold apart from the combustion chamber  - gave it a bucket of water to cool off and removed more insulation - todays heavy rain should cool it more, I'll probly have to seal it up later today again or atleast check it

Viking camp axe Vs. maple:(Resized_20200523_192931.jpeg

And here it is after some grinding Resized_20200523_193912.jpeg

Bummer.  :( There's a reason axes get a soft temper, though...

Posted (edited)

Could you show a photo of that axe from the top?

Edited by Gerald Boggs

Posted (edited)

Just beginning to mess around with my new 2x72 belt grinder.  Already realizing how much sweeping I'm going to have to do.  So today I spent about a half hour making a temporary "laundry chute" for the metal grindings to go down directly into my water bucket.  I'll see how it works before going with a more permanent build.  Saves a whole lot of sweeping though.

20200524_163738-half.jpg

Edited by Chris Christenberry

That's a great idea!  My bucket is on a pillar of cinderblock that holds it at the bottom wheel of the platen.  Catches a lot that way, but the weekly shop-vac treatment is still required.  

Posted (edited)

It would be my luck to knock over an elevated bucket, for sure!  :rolleyes: I'm not kidding myself into thinking this will totally replace the cleanup requirement.  I'm just hoping there will be a little less of it on the floor and in my eyes and lungs.  (note PPE on the wall)  As soon as I wring out the wrinkles of the design and it's mounting method, I'll go to the sheet metal shop down the road and have one folded up to replace this wooden one.

Edited by Chris Christenberry

6 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Viking camp axe Vs. maple:(Resized_20200523_192931.jpeg

And here it is after some grinding Resized_20200523_193912.jpeg

Ouch, I worry the same thing with the welded up one I just finished up. A File will only barely shave it and I'm tempted to temper the edge back to blue from the purple color it was. But I've also looked at how heavy it is, and decided it is not meant to try and split lumber. Or even go through any of the local hardwoods around my area. A black locust tree shattered the edge of my felling axe so something even smaller and lighter would stand no chance.

You had a nice bit of edge material to keep its look.

Agreed. An axe will chip and crack with such a hard temper. A good light to dark blue will help keep a hardened edge, but allow it plenty of spring to resist cracking.

5 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Could you show a photo of that axe from the top?

Its ugly but here it is.

Resized_20200524_201400.jpeg

Found yet another use for @JJ Simon monkey tail tongs.  Perfect thing for reheating my lunch while waiting for a billet to come up to temp.  Even this chain store pizza tasted better after being toasted over the dragon's breath.

Ok, this is probably a terrible idea, but that pizza will probably kill me before some forge pollution.

IMG_20200525_135917197.jpg

• Haha 3

@Alex Middleton came over and forged for a few hours about a month ago and he brought this 4140 die of some sort and left it behind....well today I started forging it into a BIG rounding hammer. I ran out of charcoal and I ran out of energy. This is by far the biggest piece if steel I've ever worked!!!!

Resized_20200526_135619.jpeg

• Like 1

Glad you found a use for it!

Got the floor plate done with the soft pine boards to cushion it against the concrete and sat the main frame and the final drive pulley stand in place. Still have some welding                 to do on them but I NEEDED so see it like this.

H1.png

On another note this box of handle blocks arrived today. Friday last week I spoke to my wood guy in Texas and today, wed they arrived so am very pleased as they are replacement wood for the handle blanks that have either gone missing or are under 2 months worth of international post in some dark basement somewhere. Lacewood burl and tassie blackwood and I was just speaking to him and he was telling me about some amboyna burl he may be getting in.
w2.png

On 5/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, Alex Middleton said:

Glad you found a use for it!

After forging before grinding

Resized_20200527_162250.jpeg

I made a wall rack to store the small wheels for the small wheel attachment for my new 2x72 grinder.

20200527_202750-half.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A batch of knives under the brood light. As we are getting well down in temps with some heavy overnight frosts I have the brood light going over them  overnight for the epoxy to cure. Finally able to get some knives handled for some very paitent customers. I have had concience problems with this taking so long but should be able to go back to my max 6 week order to delivery time frame now that things are running again.

IMG_20200528_163321.jpg

I was talking to Jason last night (the wood guy in Texas) and he sent a pic of one of the big pieces of Amboyna burl he is about to cut up so I asked him to put a 4 nice blocks asside for me. It is so nice that I may just get another couple as well.

Amboyna Burl.png

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 3