Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Well, I continued working on my Dog's Head hammer today.  Made my first punch.  Put the initial bevel on the 8 wood carving blades I heat treated and tempered yesterday.  After I did some belt grinder work on the punch, I noticed it wasn't perfectly straight, so I'll pop it back in the forge tomorrow and get it straightened.  I know to taper the "hammer end" of the punch to combat mushrooming, but should I slightly crown the striking point?

1 hour ago, Chris Christenberry said:

should I slightly crown the striking point?

I've used several different ways of finish grinding the business end. I personally prefer a flat end about ¼ inch thick. It ends up shearing the slug out. I used a pointed one and didn't like it at all. It cut through and left some material in the eye. I will get pictures of my punches in the morning.a slight dome on it is definitely better than a sharp point. All my punches end up rounded off a bit after 2 or 3 hammers before touching up on the grinder. I'm using H13 steel for my punches though.

My tensioner pulley had a summer blow out. Maybe I will make a canister Damascus billet with all the bearings and spring?

20200610_153251.jpg

New style hammer I will be producing for sale. 

Resized_20200612_150530.jpeg

Resized_20200612_150514.jpeg

I'm really not a good smith. This leaf proves it.:lol: but I enjoy the rough and dirty style forging. I used this new hammer to make the leaf and its probably only the third leaf I've ever attempted to make. 

Resized_20200612_155020.jpeg

Just finished this knife, it'll be going to its new home tomorrow. Really thankful for this sale, this is the first blade I've sold since quarantine hit.

Materials are 15N20 with African Padauk handle. The sheath came out pretty well considering it's been 5 years since I worked with leather.Puckettknife.jpg

• Like 2

Today dod not go as well as I had hoped unfortunately. The vfd unit seems to have fried itself and that may have been a function of the low amperage the main feed to the shed delivers from the house mains. It has been compounded by the much colder weather with a greater demand on the grid so that has caused lower input as well. Going to be close to $2000 to get a new VFD, replace the 15 amp cable feed to the shed with a heavier 40 amp cable, the wiring associated with that and the wiring in of the hammer. He took the 3 ph motor off the grinder home with him to give it a good check over and will be back tomorrow (if the couriers deliver the needed goodies overnight) so hope to have the grinder back in action and the hammer all wired up and ready to go.
I did get the treddle sorted and replaced the linkages from the top spring to the tup and the drive arm and now have 6 inches of hammer lift if and when I need it for taller billets etc or to work with some of the tooling I have in mind to make

empty space where the motor and VFD unit shoudl be

IMG_20200615_145419.jpg

Treddle finished and works well with the motor wired in up to the switch the sparky will fix in place tomorrow. He will  add another few double plugs to the shed as well. 

IMG_20200615_145433.jpg

• Like 3

This is 52100 either side of some mild steel.

Forge welding and forging out kept my busy 10am to 3pm on Saturday, does not include forging and grinding the pieces of 52100 into usable shape or prepping the billet.
Some cracks developed while forging out the blade, so less than half is usable, but it's a result none the less.

Learned a lot, won't bore you with the details since most of you long since paid these school fees, hopefully next time will be better

IMG_20200614_151512[1].jpg

IMG_20200614_151520[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I got a little lucky with this one.  The plan was to do a 3 or 4 row canoe weld with a little over 20 tiles to make a billet for a chef's knife.

I welded up a nice pretty canoe, and got all my tiles fitted nicely.  I also added some 1095 powder to fill out the open spaces on the Tang end.

IMG_20200620_155309233.jpg

Then I welded up the can all nice and tight and proceeded to the forge.

IMG_20200620_161003409.jpg

I got my forge as hot as I could, and let it soak for a long time.  Then I started lightly squishing it in from the edges.  I only got a few passes in before my canoe failed.  Fortunately, inside was a very nicely welded bar.  The only flaws I can see are at the very tip because I never got to try to hammer in on the angled sides as I had planned to.

IMG_20200620_170702491.jpg

I pealed the can of easily, grabbed some tongs, and drew it out.  It's waiting in vinegar for the night now.

IMG_20200620_175013426.jpg

So, I either got lucky that it welded before the canoe failed, or lucky because the can came off without a fight, or both.  In any case, I'll sacrifice a little stout to the forge fairy tonight!

• Like 1

Viking axe forged out of O1. 

Resized_IMG_20200618_202148_450(2).jpeg

• Like 1

Had a change arround in the shed by shifting the bench planer down to the wood working end of the shed and made a set of shelves to store the exhibition wood blocks and some of the grade 2 with all the grade 1 and standard grade in a previous shelf unit and a set of drawers. Then I got two PH EDC;s , 2 mini skinners anda 7 inch chef finish ground and got 13 knife steels sanded to 600grit as well. 

I got a 1/2 dozen blades done and ready for handles and  these little honing steels all polished and ready for the split rings today. Short and longer models for setting in the sheath of my hunting knives.

steels.png

Got around to finally clear the drill press table from shavings :P it actually isn't a plate - it has ridges in it xD under all the shavings

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Troels Saabye said:

Got around to finally clear the drill press table from shavings :P it actually isn't a plate - it has ridges in it xD under all the shavings

I use a magnet on a stick ( extendable type) that fits in the grooves in the table top. That makes cleaning it much easier.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
  1. Not a bad idea with a magnet :D gotta try that, thanks !

Edit: tried it : thanks a bunch :P no more metal splinters buried in finger tips xD
Edited by Troels Saabye
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Some handles off the belt grinder and ready for some hand work.

Chef with lacewood

J T Ranger with Gidgee

pigsticker with (purple dyed) gidgee. Dye did not show till I cut and sanded it.

PH EDC with quilted macrocarpa over buffalo horn

A Safari with acacia over brass

Mini bullnose with tasmanian blackwood over paper micarta

mini skinner with desert ironwood

mini skinner with lacewood.

IMG_20200625_104118.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 5

Put together a new workbench. My family got me a harbor freight gift card for my birthday so I thought what the heck!

20200625_164600.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brian Myers said:

My family got me a harbor freight gift card for my birthday

Happy (belated) birthday Brian

Gary that PH EDC with quilted macrocarpa over buffalo horn is going to be nice. 

I patinated some copper furniture by quenching in boiling borax to get pink, red and purple colors. 

20200626_044556.jpg

• Like 1

Decided to finally  find a plasma cutter :P no more breaking cut off disks flying - just a pressure vessel ready to blow and risk of 140A jolt of lightning xD.. Next up: LOTS of research, don't want to break the bank - but I want to cut stuff up to 35 mm thick^^ probly going to spend €€€ or $$$  ;) but enough, trying to separate a 40 mm plate in half with a grinder is torture xD thought about an oxy acetylene torch but I like working with air pressure more than acetylene..

hyper therm 45 will do 1 inch/26mm sever cuts 1/2 like butter all day and works on a smallish air compressor and is around $1900 if i recal the next step up is another $1000 and needs a bigger compressor i have the 45 and love it

• Like 1

Slipped with the disk grinder and took 0.3mm too much off the end of my latest folder backspring.  Just enough to ruin it. :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Slipped with the disk grinder and took 0.3mm too much off the end of my latest folder backspring.  Just enough to ruin it. :rolleyes:

Hate that.  I have a handful of orphaned blades and springs waiting for me to make a new match.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:21 AM, dragoncutlery said:

hyper therm 45 will do 1 inch/26mm sever cuts 1/2 like butter all day and works on a smallish air compressor and is around $1900 if i recal the next step up is another $1000 and needs a bigger compressor i have the 45 and love it

Same.  

• Like 1

Not in the shed but had a good day in town. I went to the outlet where I get bearings and belts etc to get a slightly shorter belt for the hammer final drive  They have drums of bearings that are to go for scrap and they gave me permission to scavenge any of it I wanted. I just got three smaller ones about 4 inches in dia but there were a couple of big ones that must have been 2 ft across.

IMG_20200630_102603.jpg

IMG_20200630_102617.jpg

• Like 3