Jump to content
Joshua States

What did you do in your shop today?

Recommended Posts

Some progress today with a rush order that I got yesterday to be ready for tuesday and it just so happened that I had ground a blade the day before for the ready drawwer that was what he wanted so got it handsanded and a swamp kauri handle on it, and in the clamps overnight. Had an additional ss damascus blade to do so got that ground and it and the other blade I ground on monday were prepped and etched. Both will have curve backed buffalo horn 3 pin bolsters with the top knife having desert ironwood handles and the lower one with walnut

 

IMG_20200715_153352.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After being scolded for running my forge too danged hot and burning metal up, I pulled out my digital lab thermometer and adjusted the burn temp for for 1750 degrees.  I was running it almost White Hot.  DUH!!!!!  It's a fair amount quieter and I can actually look inside now.  ;)

 

Also finished my first set of usable tongs.  Not a big deal to most, but a landmark for me.  Made them with the "twist jaw method" out of 1/4"x1" bar.  They certainly aren't purdy or anything to brag about, but they'll hold 3/8" square rod just fine. :P

Edited by Chris Christenberry
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Garry Keown 

Beautiful patterns on the two sanmai /Damascus Garry.

Gary LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gary LT said:

@Garry Keown 

Beautiful patterns on the two sanmai /Damascus Garry.

Gary LT

Not my work Gary. I buy in the damascus bars from an Australian outlet. Commercial made that I think is by a rolling mill to get the even thickness of the three layers. Good price and well received by my customer base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buggered up a kitchen knife while grinding, I didn't notice a twist in the blade when I pressed out the warp when I quenched,

The result was an uneven bevel,

 I wasn't happy with the result so I broke it in two to look at the structure, at least that was OK, 

 I'll make a replacement at the weekend if I have sufficient steel left 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's assembled.  

 

little folder 1.jpg

little folder 2.jpg

little folder 3.jpg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Alan!  A traditional Barlow is on my list...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got this piece of wire rope today to try some damascus from. It is a 25 wire cable with 6 outer and central core. Started as  28mm and swaged to 25 so very dense. The guy at the wire rop store is going to get me some 16mm next time  (swaged to 16 fro 20mm) I am down which should be much more suitable for smaller knives but I will have a play with a piece of this when I have time and see how it forges down.

k8.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2020 at 10:08 PM, Garry Keown said:

Got this piece of wire rope today to try some damascus from. It is a 25 wire cable with 6 outer and central core. Started as  28mm and swaged to 25 so very dense. The guy at the wire rop store is going to get me some 16mm next time  (swaged to 16 fro 20mm) I am down which should be much more suitable for smaller knives but I will have a play with a piece of this when I have time and see how it forges down.

 

I was off grid for a few days, have you started this yet? Need any pointers on using cable?

 

 

Today I gave a try at scalloped file work on a guard.

It still needs some clean up and polishing. Then I get to do the other end!

Step 3.jpg

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I was off grid for a few days, have you started this yet? Need any pointers on using cable?

 

 I have cut it in three and welded the ends . Has a lot of grease melting off (no rust though) Had thought to square the ends and untwist a bit to get rid of rest of grease and  heat to tighten twist and go from there to square it then forge from there into knife shaped thingy. Have watched a few cable videos but always up for any info to make it go rightthe first time.

Edited by Garry Keown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sitting with a tool-up-or-die emergency, close-down auction of a machine shop tomorrow and no idea hoe I'm going to get away from work for that....

 

There's a Rexon drill press with a table which you can use like a (light) milling machine, I wants it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

 I have cut it in three and welded the ends . Has a lot of grease melting off (no rust though) Had thought to square the ends and untwist a bit to get rid of rest of grease and  heat to tighten twist and go from there to square it then forge from there into knife shaped thingy. Have watched a few cable videos but always up for any info to make it go rightthe first time.

I usually soak cable in lacquer thinner for a few days to remove the grease. The untwisting will help remove any dirt or grit that may be stuck inside. Do it hot so you can retwist pretty tightly.

OH, some of those central cores have a plastic sheathing. that needs to be removed.

Edited by Joshua States

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I usually soak cable in lacquer thinner for a few days to remove the grease. The untwisting will help remove any dirt or grit that may be stuck inside. Do it hot so you can retwist pretty tightly.

OH, some of those central cores have a plastic sheathing. that needs to be removed.

will get some thinners today and there is nothing but steel in this rope so a bonus in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a little more done on a big (hopefully soon-to-be) mosaic billet today. Forged out the second stack-up of crushed Ws and just started forging on the bias before I had to call it quits. I didn't like the look of a split in the end, so once it cooled off, I cut the last 1/4" off to make sure the weld took. Luckily, it's all good and solid! I also did a quick etch to see how it turned out, and so far, so good.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200725143116001_COVER.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200725143339651_COVER.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice haul Garry :) i'm still waiting patiently for the other farms to start breaking bearings like they always do come harvest season :P  alredy got a sack full of harrow-teeth 10 mm round stock in a coil (straigthened out its about 2½ meters of it ^^ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuck a crowbar into my wallet and got a small 10 inch band saw.  Used it to cut some Osage orange and Black locust knife scales from a small log a friend gave me.  Not heard about many people using black locust, but it is sure a hard and a beautiful wood. 

20200727_231113.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't do a dang thing. It's 117*F here.......

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I didn't do a dang thing. It's 117*F here.......

Oy!!!!  That's HOT!

 

I didn't either because of the heat but (yet another bit of evidence on how much of a whimp I am) it got to 91 here.  Hoping to HT and maybe forge out another billet today, but it's supposed to get to 87.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been working on two sets of tongs.......a little bit at a time.  Tong making is new to me, so I've been having to go back and correct lots of mistakes.  I'll get'em finished some day!  (it's no fun living life as a perfectionist!) ;)

 

It's been hot here also, Joshua, but not THAT hot!

Edited by Chris Christenberry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I didn't do a dang thing. It's 117*F here.......

 

But it's a dry heat... (ducks and runs)

 

Seriously though, that's too hot no matter what, but a couple days ago we had 96 at 90% relative humidity.  Just rolling your eyes caused sweat-storms of titanic proportions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I was planning on mowing the yard yesterday. I got some weedeating done, but it was like breathing soup! I think I'll wait a few days till the humidity drops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

 

But it's a dry heat... (ducks and runs)

 

Seriously though, that's too hot no matter what, but a couple days ago we had 96 at 90% relative humidity.  Just rolling your eyes caused sweat-storms of titanic proportions.  

I'd prefer some moisture. I step outside and my eyes feel like cotton within seconds. I really wish the monsoon would get here already. we really need some rain.

Edited by Joshua States

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2020 at 11:46 PM, Joshua States said:

I didn't do a dang thing. It's 117*F here.......

But think of the fuel you'd save, the steel is already preheated

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

But think of the fuel you'd save, the steel is already preheated

The truth of this is it works well for preheating the quench oil. I just wheel the quench tank outside the door and leave it in the sun while the oven comes up to heat.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...