What did you do in your shop today?

4 hours ago, AJ Chalifoux said:

The edges will be low-layer random pattern and this bar will be the core.

That's going to be a looker for sure.  Looking forward to the finished pics.

I finally got a handle sanded and this one's ready for the final edge.

20200813_135049.jpg

I'll have to get better pics...

Edited by billyO
  • Like 2
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

We made some hearth steel a couple of weekends ago. Ran into some issues at first but Emiliano came to the rescue with sage advice. Here is a knife from the material after heat treatment. 

I made myself a hammer I´ve wanted for a long time: an english style dog head hammer. Forged from 60mm square c45 steel (1045 basically) with a curly walnut handle, just because I wanted to be fa

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Conner Michaux said:

Yes this is from a little piece of that billet :D

That wrought has some nice activity in the pattern. Should be really cool when it's done. 

I got my double bit axe forged today along with a single bit and an eye punched for another single bit. The weights are written down on the stickey note in order from to to bottom. The second axe from the top is my wifes axe I made yesterday and the third axe down is mine. 

20200813_213105.jpg

Rough forged chef, I need to forge it thinner but this is the general idea for the shape.

99B086FA-E3F8-4371-B7C6-6E630D965F45.jpeg

• Like 4

The wifey's axe is handled. She stuck it in the target with the first throw!!! I still have some work to do to the handle but I had to get a handle on my axe ;) I dont have any photos of my axe on my wife's phone (which I'm using now) I will get a picture of mine when we get back home late tonight. As of now we are on a sparatic road trip to the thumb of Michigan right now we have 101 miles to our destination and its ¼ to 8 pm:(

20200814_150544(1).jpg

20200814_150550(1).jpg

20200814_150530(1).jpg

• Like 1

I had hoped to be making knives by now since my wood shop is mostly up and running. However, the wood projects keep multiplying and I have enough projects to last well into next year. I just shipped a cutting board to our son in Austin, (photos below).

A friend gave me a 4' X 2" X 1/4" piece of 5160 and I have been practicing on a piece I cut off - stock removal, but the 1/4" stock is really too thick for hunting knives and kitchen knives, so I'm going to order some 1/8" and 3/16" bars. I'd like to start making knives for gifts and worry about people not taking proper care to prevent rust, so I am thinking AEB-L might be a good choice, but am open to other suggestions. At least for now, I will have to send blades out for heat treating. I know of several places that heat treat, but wouldn't mind suggestions there either.

20200812_172345[1].jpg

20200812_172728.jpg

• Like 2

These few off the grinder and ready for a hand sand (which I got done ) so they are ready for bolsters and handles. Safari, Hunter skinner< 2 mini skinners and 2 EDC;s

IMG_20200817_152520.jpg

My 1x pharmacy reading glasses are still to strong, but I learned from a photo this weekend I need to put them on and inspect my work more regularly.

Shaped and started finishing a handle, few deep scratches in the pins to take care of and the flaw in the handle the photo brought to my attention.

Still need to work on my process so I don't need to spend so much time re-finishing something I touched with a belt etc....double work.

Said I wouldn't, but I also started with a Kukri slightly smaller than my first ones.  Had an idea to do a hollow grind on the rear part of the blade and FFG on the head.....silly idea?

Rough grind of the hollow part down & looking good at least. 

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Dude!  I would have hit the camper :o

I would have hit myself in the butt...:ph34r:

• Haha 2

The camper is actually further away than the picture makes it look. 

This is today's work. The tank on my propane forge was running low and frosting up on me so I called it quits for the day. I have a plan for getting the eye straightened out.Resized_20200817_173825.jpegResized_20200817_173845.jpegResized_20200817_173832.jpeg

I find the hardest part of making axes especially punched and drifted axes is getting the blade in line and straight with the handle. 

Etched out a blacksmith knife 1084 core with sides from a knife i was told was made from leif spring from a california flea market many years ago it does not water harden noticeably but showed some layering so i did this

20200820_084013.jpg

• Like 2

Cool! I've had a couple people bring me straightened pieces of wrought iron wagon tire that they thought was leaf spring.  Wouldn't explain that cool layering tho. 

Making a cruiser double bit axe and I just mangled part of my hand between my thumb and pointer finger. I had the skin of my hand hanging over the top of the drift when my friend went to drive it home with a full blow from an 8 lb sledge!!!:wacko:

• Sad 1
22 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Making a cruiser double bit axe and I just mangled part of my hand between my thumb and pointer finger. I had the skin of my hand hanging over the top of the drift when my friend went to drive it home with a full blow from an 8 lb sledge!!!:wacko:

We need an ouch button. Mine is relatively minor in com parrison but cut  accross the side of my thumb about mid nail. Shop rag and pressure slows the imediate bleed bit it is a bit difficult to get it wraped 

24 minutes ago, Garry Keown said:

We need an ouch button

Yes.  Yes we do!  :ph34r:

6 hours ago, dragoncutlery said:

so i did this

Looks good!  And yeah, probably a bit of straightened wagon tire.  I would say it could be a shear steel leaf spring, but if it doesn't harden in water it's not shear steel, so...