What did you do in your shop today?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

We made some hearth steel a couple of weekends ago. Ran into some issues at first but Emiliano came to the rescue with sage advice. Here is a knife from the material after heat treatment. 

I made myself a hammer I´ve wanted for a long time: an english style dog head hammer. Forged from 60mm square c45 steel (1045 basically) with a curly walnut handle, just because I wanted to be fa

Posted Images

I just changed the dressing and got a picture. Should I upload it? 

If you do, put it in the "shop safety" subforum with the whole story and a "graphic image" warning.  Just so people know what they're getting in to.

Jeremy, I know that really hurts and it’s a PiTA to work around. Perhaps on the brighter side your friend did hit the drift :unsure:!

Great looking axe work you are making!

Gary LT

This is the cruiser double bit axe I was working on when I injured my hand. Weight is 29.5 ounces.

Resized_20200821_223042.jpeg

Greetings folks. I'm not sure where to post this and I'm beginning to think this isn't the right place as I'd love to post in show in tell, however this is a bladesmith's forum and not a luthier forum...... and so..... this is what happened in the shop today, yesterday, and the month before. Knives are being worked on! And Alan, if you feel it's not appropriate, feel free to remove or move to a more appropriate spot!

At the end of it all, it's still surreal to think that this was something I've built with my own hands from scratch with minimal tools and no knowledge. It's been a month and a half journey of blood, sweat, and a few tears (of joy....that something ACTUALLY WORKED). So here's some photos.

For those who care about the woods used:
- Engelmann Spruce top with Spanish Cedar bracing.
-East Indian Rosewood sides and back with African Mahogany bracing
-African Mahogany neck
-Bolivian Rosewood veneer and Curly Maple/Black ABS bindings
-Grover Vintage Tuners

1Front soundhole 2.jpg

2Front Soundhole.jpg

4Complete Backshot.jpg

3Back and Side shot.jpg

5Wedge plate.jpg

6tuners.jpg

7Tuner Pegs Back.jpg

Edited by Austin_Lyles
  • Like 4

Outstanding work @Austin_Lyles  I watched a guy build a violin on line a while back and the intracisy of the work is inspiring. For someone who did this  " with minimal tools and no knowledge"  the result is beautiful. The next queastion is, "can you play" :)

Thanks fellas!

Garry, as to the playing... I've been playing my whole life as a relaxation thing or when I want to play something I hear. So, mediocre at best!

Edited by Austin_Lyles
  • Like 1

Nice axe Austin! something to be proud of for sure.

Sad news here, I just recently changed job and by default lost my knifemaking shop. It was a tough decision to make, but my last workplace was unsafe and I decided to leave and stay alive a bit longer. 

I'm keeping all my tools until I find a new place or build a garage next to the house.

• Sad 3

Joel when you want, you can work anywhere. I moved over three years ago when my fiance and I broke up. I went from a 25 by 12 outbuilding to a 7 by 7 plastic shed.

Sorry to hear that Joël.  Good on you for being brave enough to make the change.  Another shop space will come along soon.

6 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Sorry to hear that Joël.  Good on you for being brave enough to make the change.  Another shop space will come along soon.

Exactly.  It may be a while, especially this year, but you'll find or make the space to keep doing this.  

49 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

@Joël Mercier do they have anything like this in Canadialand?

Of course we do. I've already got a 10"x12" shed that's full of stuff.

If it was only me, I'd have my garage already. But the president of the house wants other things done first :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2