What did you do in your shop today?

Nice chef's knives guys!

Gilbert, how are you grinding the integral?

I also had some shop time this weekend, but nothing quite so fancy as those guys.

So I sanded/ground down an anvil face and built a fuller tool for an upcoming revisit to another project.

I still have to break the corners off the round bars.

Clean anvil head.JPG

1 inch fuller tool.JPG

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished another folder.  Little bitty bugger, 2.5" / 63mm closed, 4.5" / 112mm open.  O-1, brass liners, nickel silver bolsters and pins, ebony scales.  Still needs an edge and some cleanup, but it's

We made some hearth steel a couple of weekends ago. Ran into some issues at first but Emiliano came to the rescue with sage advice. Here is a knife from the material after heat treatment. 

I made myself a hammer I´ve wanted for a long time: an english style dog head hammer. Forged from 60mm square c45 steel (1045 basically) with a curly walnut handle, just because I wanted to be fa

Posted Images

Started the sheath for the bowie and the pair of kabars. First inlayed sheath so a couple of retreats and re-dos but hope to finish it today.

IMG_20200929_102555.jpg

j3dZJtQ.jpgWSOhFCP.jpgu4rMDiG.jpg[img]https://i.imgur.com/j3dZJtQ.jpg[/img]

couple finished recently! 

Edited by John N
image problems from imgur
  • Like 6

And this is the 'hipster special' I could not get pics to post properly a couple of weeks ago! Stabalised OSB and 4000 year old bog oak handle :unsure:

drLIJUU.jpg

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Ooh, nice!  Even if the juxtaposition of bog oak and OSB gives me the heebiejeebies... :lol:

They are both made of carbon, which is really really old, probably made in the same big bang :D

• Haha 1

Here's an integral Chef from someone who loves the shape of a Bowie. Low layer Damascus is15n20,1095 and 26c3 core and just a little wrought showing on the bolster and a coffee finish. Handle is spalted maple and a bronze spacer. 

20200930_154334.jpg

20200930_154413.jpg

20200930_154436.jpg

• Like 5

I'm really digging that cleaver John.

That chef knife is beautiful Gilbert.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Joshua States said:

That chef knife is beautiful Gilbert.

Agreed!  But a little bit scary...

Leather awl and a few copper bracelets 

9FB3E6DA-7900-4B7F-8D0C-98675D3EC3D2.jpeg

08D9956A-8870-4FA2-8A2B-CFA3538E956C.jpeg

• Like 3
On 9/30/2020 at 4:32 PM, Alan Longmire said:

Ooh, nice!  Even if the juxtaposition of bog oak and OSB gives me the heebiejeebies... :lol:

you imagining digging it up in a few hundred years and explaining the handle?

1 hour ago, dragoncutlery said:

you imagining digging it up in a few hundred years and explaining the handle?

:lol:. Nah, more the 4,000 year old expensive fancy wood attached to the cheapest new wood product.  But it looks cool, and is an appropriately hipster send-up on a seriously nice blade. B)

• Like 1

"Corporate Office" sanctioned the capital expenditure for the purchase a surface grinder specifically for my Ameribrade 2x72. 4-6 weeks wait due to various issues but very psyched.

https://www.ameribrade.com/kit-products/surface-grinder

• Like 2

Ground and handsanded a 7 1/2 in chef I HT last week and prepped a HT and ground field scalpel getting the handle on both of them. Heard today that the sheet of NitroV I had pre-ordered and payed for has finally arrived at the NZ distributor and put on the courier this afternoon. Have had thee slicers on the books for a while now so it will be good to finally get to them and use the LN quench for the first time.Will definately do a few extras for the ready drawer while I am doing it to make the best use of the LN. 

Last week I finished drawing out and cutting a 190-layer billet of 1084, 15N20, and 1075 into four separate pieces that were 1/2" x 1/4" x 21" each. I then sandwiched a piece of .156" 15N20 between two of the pieces to make two san-mai bars and welded them together. After that, I welded them to the sides of the mosaic bar I'm using as a core and cut a fish mouth into the end of the bar. Tonight, I welded the fish mouth shut and this is where it's at right now. Unfortunately I forgot to grab a pic of the fish mouth itself. The next step is lots and lots of drawing out. :wacko:

PXL_20201002_135244750.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201002_135456785.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20201004_195517336.MP.jpg

PXL_20201007_002752648.MP.jpg

Edited by AJ Chalifoux

Not bladesmithing related but something I've been working on. 

16020372769031297779840.jpg

Curly and Birdseye redwood with a few clear gloss coats. Looks nicer than my crappy picture shows. Going to be a coat hanger for my grandma when I get around to forging the hooks.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Chadd S. said:

Looks nicer than my crappy picture shows.

I bet, and it looks really good in the pic.

Is that a nautrual find or purchase?

Had a minor mishap during forging yesterday.  While forging my heel notch (I'll accept any better terms for this) on a nakiri, I heard a heart-sinking sound not unlike the dreaded 'tink' that happens after quenching, but much lower in tone, followed by the sound of metal landing on the concrete floor.  I didn't realize what happened until the next whack with the hammer, when I noticed my post vice bounce around unusually....

20201005_124533.jpg

Good thing there's a spare hiding somewhere in the shed....but that ended the forging for the day.

Edited by billyO